Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April and 19 Sept 21

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Paulatic

Re: Aldi Cycling and Camping Stuff Coming: 15 & 18 April

Post by Paulatic »

nez wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:01pm [
According to this logic, be very mean with what you buy just before you die. As I verge on old age I've already begun to put this plan into action.
Probably good advice and if I had my 'die by' date I could implement it.
I’ve got to live another 12 months to get back the money I put into my private pension. Freeloading after that :wink:
If I was certain I was in my last year of life I’d be first in the queue at ALDI as it is I still wake up thinking I’ll live for ever. :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:29am Have always found the merino base layers pretty decent (maybe some folks on here with negative experience with them are washing them too too much) but [...]
Maybe but then washing them as little as needed to keep them pong-free is still "too much" for them. Decathlon are better at the cheapish end of the market IMO and mulesing-free.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 11:07am
Sweep wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:29am Have always found the merino base layers pretty decent (maybe some folks on here with negative experience with them are washing them too too much) but [...]
Maybe but then washing them as little as needed to keep them pong-free is still "too much" for them. Decathlon are better at the cheapish end of the market IMO and mulesing-free.
out of interest why do you think the decathlon merino base layers better?
How much are they?
I must admit I do have the idea that Aldi's merinos are a bit thinner/less beefy than they used to be.
Sweep
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Looking at the Aldi bike, it reminds me of a visit to halfords bike section- in no position to criticise as on an old bike I ride.
Sub £500 look heavy and cable disc brakes marketing over performance.

The Aldi bike has a 1 not 3 year warranty and it appears hydraulic brakes, at such a low price point when it wears or breaks will it be beyond economic repair?

It's like the halfords £200 mountain bikes for teenagers, a second hand bike of higher spec over shiney polished turd.

If I entertained it, it would be research if better components available and buy one second hand for peanuts after novelty worn off.

I always fancied a Sladda from IKEA, when recalled for a full refund due to belt issues, IKEA will stand by the product - Aldi will palm off people t third party.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 2:45pm
mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 11:07am Decathlon are better at the cheapish end of the market IMO and mulesing-free.
out of interest why do you think the decathlon merino base layers better?
How much are they?
More washes per hole than the last Aldi ones and slightly thicker. Also no mulesing.

I don't know current prices but expect they are on www.decathlon.co.uk
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's also fibre diameter and other issues with cheap merino. Plus do you really know whether it is merino from Aldi? I did read something about low end merino tops being either completely or a percentage made with non merino wool. Certainly higher end merino us finer fibres and less itchy with better performance. You get what you pay for and IMHO with Aldi you get less than what you pay for these past few years.

I've got merino from two or three years ago that is holed out and needs throwing away, in one case within its first year. I've also got merino from 5+ years ago still going strong? All bought from Aldi cycling, outdoor or ski sales. Out of the three ski sale merino is the better quality even now. It's thicker though which might explain it. Too thick for most cycling use I reckon. It had to be cold to wear it skiing too.

I'm not saying it's all rubbish just be aware it's fine downhill in quality and you'll buy it twice as often as the older Aldi stuff. It's that simple. There's better options at the low price end out there these days.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Sweep wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 2:45pm I must admit I do have the idea that Aldi's merinos are a bit thinner/less beefy than they used to be.
Thinner doesn't necessarily mean lower quality. One of the thinnest merino baselayers I have is from Icebreaker, it's also lasted incredibly well and feels good to wear. (And it wasn't even terribly expensive as I got it in a sale, but admittedly that was lucky!)
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Thicker means warmer. That isn't *always* what I want! I had a much-loved (and much-travelled) short-sleeve merino base layer from On-One that was lighter by far than anything else I've seen ("100g"?); very very good in hot weather.

(like most On-One stuff, it didn't stay in production very long)

Good tip about the non-mulesing merino from Decathlon :)
(I have some of theirs, but didn't know that!)
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Bought a tool kit,bottle tool kit zipper container and a chain cleaner during the joys of a food shop, I didn’t see the bike I believe will arrive in May to look at.
nomm

Post by nomm »

Sadly, this time around my local Aldi had no chain lube, for my yearly stock up, on the shelves and only GT85 and the tyre sealant. Staff had no idea when/if the other stuff was due to arrive sighting supply issues. Oddly this was not the case in other Aldi's in my local area.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Left it late and went to Aldi on Monday and all that was left that appealed to me was GT85 and cheap sunglasses so bought two of each so that when my cheap pair of sunglasses die I've got a new pair ready.
bongo

Post by bongo »

Happened to notice upcoming Aldi Cycling Stuff on special Sunday 16th May
https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/specialbuys/da ... id=DM28277

Is the Crane Men's Cycling Shirt worthwhile? Anyone got one?
nick12

Post by nick12 »

Got one of the frame bags today seem ok for the money. It will be the plastic buckle on the velcro which gives way first I guess.
Fits a half litre steel flask perfectly so a good way to carry extra fluids
Attachments
IMG_20210516_121242_3.jpg
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

nick12 wrote: 16 May 2021, 12:30pm Got one of the frame bags today seem ok for the money. It will be the plastic buckle on the velcro which gives way first I guess.
Fits a half litre steel flask perfectly so a good way to carry extra fluids
Bought one last year for tube and tool kit, there's a phone bag that's been abused on partners junk bike outside a year and still perfectly usable, so not bad
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

More stuff due Sunday 19th September 2021. Check out website for details (or use the app, like I do).

A real mixed bag of cycling stuff and clothes.

You'll also be delighted to hear they have bike lights, so another opportunity for a few pages of mass debate about these.