Is there suck a thing as a wall mounted bike lift?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jebus1967

Is there suck a thing as a wall mounted bike lift?

Post by jebus1967 »

Hi I may soon need a bike lift for my electric commuter bike, to facilitate easy storage in my small apartment. However I am having huge difficulty finding anything suitable, because I don't have a low enough roof to hang a bike from. I do however have a large empty wall I could use, but the bike is too heavy to lift up onto simple wall hooks and I want to store it up much higher on the wall to ger it out of the way anyway. This is the kind of thing I need: https://amzn.to/3rShEqo But this cannot be mounted to a wall as the images suggest however.

I live in the UK, but I guess I could order from anywhere if necessary.

Can anyone please help?
ncutler

Re: Is there suck a thing as a wall mounted bike lift?

Post by ncutler »

Any yacht chandlers can supply you with a couple of blocks, some rope, and you'll end up with something of far better quality that the thing you suggest.
Can you fit a pair of strong hooks or eyebolts to the wall ?
No pasaran
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I'd go to a chandlers too... but I'd buy wire rigging rather than rope.

To get the mechanical advantage to lift it you could use either blocks or a winch, which could be manual or electric. Or a counterweight... ?

Same question as Nick... what's the wall made of?

Jonathan
ncutler

Post by ncutler »

Wire is nasty: won't run round the blocks, kinks, breaks where bent too much and sticks bits in your hands.

Something like 8mm braid is vastly stronger than required and nice to handle. If strength is an issue ( it won't be ! ) dyneema is tending to replace wire for a lot of yacht applications: it handles reasonably well and you can bend it round a cleat.
No pasaran
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mounting the pulleys, etc on the wall will mean the bike is dragged up the wall each time. The bike will then be held with pedals and handlebars against the wall. What you want is two brackets that stick out from the wall to mount the lifting equipment on. You may also be better to raise the bike then lower it slightly onto proper bike brackets.

Having something suspended from the ceiling would be better, but may be more problematical if you live in a flat.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonhill wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 6:23pmWhat you want is two brackets that stick out from the wall to mount the lifting equipment on.
Yes. And you might be able to fit a kit designed for the roof onto those brackets.

(Just found that I have two unopened roof kits... )

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ncutler wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 6:21pmWire is nasty: won't run round the blocks, kinks, breaks where bent too much and sticks bits in your hands.
I once built a system for the Windcheetah that lifted it straight up, and then ran it horizontally over a car... but I can't remember the size of the bits...

All done with wire and small pulleys and turnbuckles.

Jonathan
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

jebus1967 wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 5:24pmCan anyone please help?
I've found a solution which is wall-mounted, includes power-assist and will get the bike up and out of the way as far as possible, although it will be stored horizontally so will be lying flat over your head. If that sounds like what you're after, let me know and I'll post the details.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

it will be stored horizontally so will be lying flat over your head.
Not a good idea if the bike has hydraulic brakes
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Grandad wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 7:45pm
it will be stored horizontally so will be lying flat over your head.
Not a good idea if the bike has hydraulic brakes
The bloke from Park Tools seems to reckon it shouldn't matter to your hydraulics which way up you store your bike - even upside down - unless they're defective (scroll about a third of the way down the article): https://www.roadbikerider.com/disc-brak ... side-down/

However, I don't have a dog in this race as I'm a 'hang them from the front wheel' guy, but you might want to ask the OP whether he's got hydraulic brakes and advise him accordingly.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

You could use a Amazon pulley system up thread and mount in timber brackets?

Two lengths of 3x2 cls 8' long cut into thirds with the third piece being the triangle support.

Rawlbolt to the wall and mount your pulleys.

You could just buy some pulleys pad eyes and rope from B+Q Wickes and have a play.

Cheers James
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

cf my post on 10th Jan re how I have suspended a 17-6 canoe in my garage. Easy enough to do, and may be some helpful ideas for you?

https://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/viewt ... 36#p694036
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

If you're going to use gallows brackets just don't use timber like james is saying, they are NEVER made square like he is telling you. Get a fabricator to make you some up out of 2 inch steel angle, 1/8" steel is a lot easier to bolt to a wall than CLS.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Well I can make them square Phil!!!

Yes steel brackets would be better but wood is cheaper and more accessable.

Cheers James