Cycling computer advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
TrevA

Re: Cycling computer advice

Post by TrevA »

If you are going to use your phone, how are you going to mount it so that you can see it?

One of the advantages of a GPS unit, is that it's always there on the handlebars in front of you. If you have a handlebar bag, it’s usually possible to mount the phone on top, or there are dedicated phone mounts.

There’s one made out of stretchy plastic that is cheap and fairly effective. I have a Quadlock phone mount, which keeps the phone securely locked to the stem of my bike, though they are not cheap. Topeak also do phone mounts.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

I have a daypack handlebar bag which has a map holder on the top, so I could put phone in there, I thought.
It will be easy to see and protected from wet weather, also big enough to put a map in there too!
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

I use a phone. Mounts very straightforwardly with a plastic spidery thing. The phone is waterproof.
One drawback i have encountered recently is that battery performance falls off a cliff when the temperature gets <5°. Maybe "proper' bike computers protect their batteries better to avoid this.
Luckily, I am mostly a fair weather cyclist.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jancathy wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 9:47pm I have a daypack handlebar bag which has a map holder on the top, so I could put phone in there, I thought.
It will be easy to see and protected from wet weather, also big enough to put a map in there too!
Pendodave wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:32am I use a phone. Mounts very straightforwardly with a plastic spidery thing. The phone is waterproof.
I use a rigid clamp on the rare occasions that I use a smart 'phone to navigate. If it was in a map case or similar I'd think very hard about the risk of it jumping out and onto the road.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pendodave wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:32amOne drawback i have encountered recently is that battery performance falls off a cliff when the temperature gets <5°. Maybe "proper' bike computers protect their batteries better to avoid this.
I haven't heard of anything special, but battery life is in my top swing factors for the decision of what device to use.

Usual list of things to check to reduce consumption:
* Networks that aren't needed turned off... Bluetooth, WiFi, 'phone.
* Screen off as quickly as possible, and as dim as acceptable.
* Apps that aren't needed turned off.
* Specific settings for your 'phone.
* Specific settings for your navigation.

And if you have that handlebar bag you can use any USB battery pack, rather than one that is specifically for use on bikes with its own clamp, waterproofing etc.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

One trouble in using a phone, is that if you have an accident and your phone gets damaged because it's vulnerable on the handlebars, you can't phone for help.

I like not to have all my eggs in one basket.
Phone in a back pocket or saddle bag, and a rugged, waterproof, tough, long-lasting battery, Garmin on the handlebars.
Mick F. Cornwall
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Put any electronic device in a bar bag that has a clear plastic case and you run the risk of it overheating. The clear plastic acts like a greenhouse and can raise the temperature significantly. I have experience of this with a GPS unit and after a bit it stopped working due to it overheating. Fortunately it started working again after it cooled down. Obviously it needs to be sunny for this to happen. 8)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:42am
Pendodave wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 8:32amOne drawback i have encountered recently is that battery performance falls off a cliff when the temperature gets <5°. Maybe "proper' bike computers protect their batteries better to avoid this.
I haven't heard of anything special, but battery life is in my top swing factors for the decision of what device to use.

Usual list of things to check to reduce consumption:
* Networks that aren't needed turned off... Bluetooth, WiFi, 'phone.
* Screen off as quickly as possible, and as dim as acceptable.
* Apps that aren't needed turned off.
* Specific settings for your 'phone.
* Specific settings for your navigation.

And if you have that handlebar bag you can use any USB battery pack, rather than one that is specifically for use on bikes with its own clamp, waterproofing etc.

Jonathan
Also, on all my phones I've found that poor GSM coverage is a real battery killer. I live rurally in terrible GSM coverage so if riding in poor GSM areas then I'd expect battery life to be more of a problem. And round me there are a lot of GSM no go spots (people who live in good coverage areas often get used to good coverage and overlook it).

Ian
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Well, seems like a back up battery pack is top priority- so will start there along with a waterproof phone cover and maybe a bracket for handlebars for the summer months. For now, I will use the map wallet as it’s pretty cold here at moment.
You can pick out the experienced cyclist compared with someone like me who just likes to get out and ride my bike!!! Thank goodness you are all here to help, thanks a lot.
Jane
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

My phone (a low rent galaxy a3(2017)) is fine for a 7 hour navigation. I just pop it airplane mode to stop it searching for phone and wifi signals.
As for cold weather battery performance, here us a brief explanation : https://www.livescience.com/61334-batte ... ather.html.
I suspect that phone design makes no attempt to mitigate the windchill of being mounted in an exposed position on handlebars. Maybe bike computers are better designed, or use a variety of lithium battery that is more cold resistant.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Pendodave wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 12:22pm ....
I suspect that phone design makes no attempt to mitigate the windchill of being mounted in an exposed position on handlebars....
Not just cold. Summer 2019 I was touring in France during the 40℃ heat wave and in some campsites I was leaving my phone in the communal fridge sometimes when switching it on just displayed a "too hot" warning before it switched itself off. When moving there is some airflow but stopping with a dark box ...

Interestingly the phone I used during that tour was traded-in recently and the trade-in with the manufacturer rejected as the battery had swollen ("Due to government regulations, we are unable to return it to you in its current condition. We will recycle it ..."). I assume any such battery can swell but I do wonder if the heat during a few weeks of that tour (and fridge-time) made it happen. I don't have the knowledge of battery technology to claim and cause/effect.

Ian
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 9:50am Have you considered the advantages and disadvantages of using a smart 'phone rather than a dedicated computer?

(Cost, battery life, waterproofing, robustness.)

Jonathan
Keep mine mounted in a bag away from direct sun light and have used Bluetooth headphones as earbuds easy to lose.
I use an app on phone it reads out speed and distance periodically as well when setting turned on