Cycling computer advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jancathy

Cycling computer advice

Post by Jancathy »

Hi all,
Please can I have your thoughts on which is a reasonably priced cycle computer. I need one to help me find my way around our lovely countryside - as I have difficulty reading maps! I Need one to act as a sat nav does in a car but not to necessarily keep track of my fitness etc. Owning one of these will give me more freedom to explore as at the moment I tend to avoid some scenic routes in case I get lost. I generally cycle alone, so pretty important that I don’t get lost!
Any advice welcomed. Thanks
Jane
markjohnobrien

Re: Cycling computer advice

Post by markjohnobrien »

Garmin are good but, depends on how you define reasonably priced, so if new is too expensive second hand models are good. I’m using second hand.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

garmin edge explore
less bells and whistles than some other models but the mapping is amazing and unlike some other models i have used they turn by turn navigation will reroute you back on course properly rather than just routing you back to where you went wrong .
You can explore points of interest or address or you can create your own routes via garmin connect/strava etc
https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... FF90D.html
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I recently (just over a week ago) bought a Garmin 520 Plus, which was on special offer at £159 from Wiggle and a few other places. You won’t find a new GPS with mapping for any less than that, I think.

It’s got colour mapping on it and will do “on the fly” routing, but the best way to use a GPS is to have a pre-planned route and load that onto the unit. Strava, Garmin Connect, and a few other sites such as Komoot will plan you a route if you state distance the general direction you want to go. The route can then loaded onto the unit and off you go.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

I found Garmin quite good. If I was buying again I would want:

Full UK postcode support (not just the first 3 characters)
A more power efficient screen which was readable in sunlight (think a colour kindle)
Better battery life than 1 day
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think a lot will depend on what sort of budget Jane regards as "reasonable".

Ian
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Thanks for that. I have looked on eBay and see Garmin 520 Explore. They go for around £90.00-£100.00. The reviews look good. Do you think they are worth considering?
Thanks
Last edited by Jancathy on 7 Apr 2021, 9:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Have a look at the "Cyclo Mio" units. Full UK and Europe map coverage. Turn by turn guidance and a "get me home" button, some POI's built in cycle shops, pubs, cafes etc.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

Jancathy wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:15pm Thanks for that. I have looked on eBay and see Garmin 820 Explore. They go for around £90.00-£100.00. The reviews look good. Do you think they are worth considering?
Thanks
With second hand units one needs to ensure that the internal batteries are still OK. I replaced my MIO after 3 years as in the end the unit would only power up for a couple of hours. But got 50% off for being a "loyal customer" on a new unit, so I guess i was lucky.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into all these mentioned. I would like to purchase one for around £150 and I don’t mind if it is second hand as long as it has been looked after.
It’s a pity that the shimano steps computer on my ebike doesn’t have sat nav features built in to it. Still, there is space to mount another computer on handlebars, if I can find the right size arm....if that’s what it’s called!!
slowster

Post by slowster »

Use the computer for navigation while riding, but don't give up using a map: the more you look at the map to plan your ride and create the route for your computer, and maybe also at some point during the ride when you stop for a break, and after the ride, the better you will get at reading it.

I like to look at the map after a ride to go over the route I have ridden that day, and compare the map with my memory of what I have seen and experienced. If I see what looks like might be an interesting track or road or bridleway when I am out, I get the map out when I get home to find it, see where it leads and whether it might be worth exploring another time.

A major advantage of maps is that they show a much larger area in fine detail than a bike computer screen can, and that gives you a much better awareness of the terrain/landscape and how the various roads and tracks in the area connect together.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Garmin Edge Explore.

I bought one a couple of days ago. My first bike computer and I wanted one for navigation.
I've found it to be easy to use and have plotted a few routes using the Garmin Express program on my computer.
Steve
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you considered the advantages and disadvantages of using a smart 'phone rather than a dedicated computer?

(Cost, battery life, waterproofing, robustness.)

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

atlas_shrugged wrote: 7 Apr 2021, 9:06pm I found Garmin quite good. If I was buying again I would want:

Full UK postcode support (not just the first 3 characters)
A more power efficient screen which was readable in sunlight (think a colour kindle)
Better battery life than 1 day
Garmin Montana ticks all the boxes except the battery life more than a day.

The device takes the supplied Li battery ........ good for seven hours ........... and any set of AA batteries you chose. If you take spares, you can go for weeks if you want.

Postcodes work properly, and the screen is visible in bright sunshine or complete darkness. Even in power saving mode you can read it in bright sunshine.

I wouldn't be without my Montana 600.
Bought it as a reconditioned unit from Burrows GPS.
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Is it still the third unit or are you on your fourth one now mick f?