Cycling computer advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: Cycling computer advice

Post by Psamathe »

As far as "getting lost" goes, on "from home" rides if you have a smartphone you can always load a low cost/free app with mapping and use the GPS - not for navigation but if you get lost ("oh I'm here so next left 2nd right ...").

I've only personal experience of two cycle specific navigation GPS units. Initially I had a Wahoo which was a disaster (let me down badly https://psamathe.net/wahoo-elemnt-navigation-review/). Then, mid tour and with limited choice in local Belgian shops I got a Garmin 1030 - which does not match OP's " reasonably priced" criteria. But it's a great unit and most of it's minor quirks have been sorted. If I broke it I'd buy same again (which is actually likely to happen soon as I dropped it a month ago, broke the screen and am only waiting to see if a 1040 will be released soon as per some rumours). And I and some unexplained prejudice against Garmin as a company (which I can't explain nor justify) but I do like my Garmin 1030!

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You can get full navigation functions with apps on smart 'phones.

Jonathan

PS: For touring I use a Garmin Edge 1000 and would also buy a 1030 if I needed a new one.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 10:18am Is it still the third unit or are you on your fourth one now mick f?
Still No3.

The first one lasted years until the on/off button covering broke a small piece off. I considered getting a new case, so got in touch with Mr Garmin for another plastic case bit. Simple to replace, but they wanted me to buy a complete recon Montana - cheap enough and far cheaper than a brand new one.

Trouble was, it was defective, so they sent me another free of charge. This one is as perfect as the original was and I'm a happy bunny.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 10:50am You can get full navigation functions with apps on smart 'phones.
I suspect a lot would depend on the phone, condition, nature (duration) of rides, etc. Before my 1st tour I had a new battery fitted to my then iPhone 5? and used it for navigating a local ride (test) and I can't remember the exact times/%ages but it would have been nowhere near adequate for a tour ride (only just managed a local ride). But that was with the screen on navigation which will use a lot more battery but I probably wouldn't hear voice instructions (screen off) so earbuds and then we get into another controversial safety debate and cost of cordless headphones and their battery life ...

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 11:23am
Jdsk wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 10:50am You can get full navigation functions with apps on smart 'phones.
I suspect a lot would depend on the phone, condition, nature (duration) of rides, etc. Before my 1st tour I had a new battery fitted to my then iPhone 5? and used it for navigating a local ride (test) and I can't remember the exact times/%ages but it would have been nowhere near adequate for a tour ride (only just managed a local ride). But that was with the screen on navigation which will use a lot more battery but I probably wouldn't hear voice instructions (screen off) so earbuds and then we get into another controversial safety debate and cost of cordless headphones and their battery life ...
Yes, that's why I noted the traditional swing factors:
Jdsk wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 9:50am Have you considered the advantages and disadvantages of using a smart 'phone rather than a dedicated computer?

(Cost, battery life, waterproofing, robustness.)
Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

As others have said, you may want to consider a smartphone+app combination.

I had a Garmin Explore (I think) briefly. But found the screen just a little too small, and it didn't do full postcode routing.

One of the things about buying a dedicated cycling unit is that it involves a fair bit of cash outlay. Maybe a lot if you get one of the "top end" ones. Which you have to spend before you really know whether it's going to do what you want. Because, let's face it, we don't really know whether something is what we want until after we buy it. And even then one has to explore the quirks, and work-arounds a bit, by which time it's too late to return it.

The big pros of dedicated units, for me, are battery life and weather-proofness.

But an app on a phone has lots of pluses.

It sounds as though you are mainly doing day rides. I usually know where I'm going, but I've sometimes used an app on my phone (iPhone 6s) and though the apps vary, some of them are very good. But they smash battery life (doesn't help that mine is a relatively old phone, with the original battery).

However, for considerably less than the price of a dedicated unit, you can buy something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topeak-Unisexs ... 46G6KNNMZX

Which would pretty much solve the battery life problem. And would quite possibly be useful to power/charge other devices. Topeak stuff is good, by the way. I've got one of their phone cases, and it's very robust.

If you were to go the phone+apps route, you could try different apps. Even if some of them had to be paid for in some way, it will still be less money than a dedicated unit.
tenbikes

Post by tenbikes »

Surly learning to read a map is sooo much easier than learning to use an electronic device? :))

[Don't listen to me, I'm just a Luddite, ]
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

In fact, the more I think about it, I would go the smartphone (plus battery if needed) route, in the first instance.

When I say "I would go..." I mean, "I just have..."

So I've just ordered one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Goobay-Externa ... 4RPS8GPJ5B

...to do the same myself.

Here's the thinking behind my advice. You (nor me neither, really) have never used a dedicated cycle sat nav type thing, it seems. Trying out some of the cycle routing apps on the phone, many of which are free, will allow you to explore what is and isn't important to you, at very low cost*. Whereas if you spend £150 on a dedicated unit, you could end up saying to your self - "oh, I really wish it did such and such, the next model up does, but it's too late to return this now". At which point you've got buyers regret, you're selling it on eBay to get the next one etc. etc.

The cheap and cheerful Amazon thing I've just ordered (above) will hopefully let me use my iPhone all day. If it turns out that I want a dedicated cycle computer then I can still use the battery pack on ordinary days out.

And if you like the smartphone+battery idea, and want to go the whole hog, you could splash out on this:

https://www.znex.de/notstrom-powerbank/

Which is top of the range German engineering, waterproof, will also run some lights etc. etc. And is still cheaper than a dedicated cycle computer.

Also worth pointing out that if you are a little nervous about getting lost, wouldn't you be taking a phone with you anyway? A dedicated cycle computer is another device.

*This all assumes you've already got some sort of smartphone of course.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I like that logic... handle the battery life with a USB battery pack and then find out what works for you and your style of riding... and what the jargon means!

I'd also suggest finding a waterproof case for the smart 'phone.

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Jdsk wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 12:53pmI'd also suggest finding a waterproof case for the smart 'phone.
I can recommend the Topeak ones, very solid case and mount. Even a little grommet to make the charging port waterproof.

PS. Though sometimes I think we worry a bit too much about rain. I've got a silicone cover thingy for my iPhone, but hardly ever bother taking it out now, as it's such a faff to put on. So the iphone just sits, naked and exposed to the weather, on the top of the stem. If it starts to rain I shove it in my pocket. I get the impression the OP isn't doing full on touring in harsh conditions.
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Wow, what interesting and varied comments. I have to say that you have all got my mind ticking over like an old clock!
I have made a decision based on some good advice. I have a Samsung galaxy phone, so could try getting an app on that. Once I have used that to track my route a few times, I will know if that is all I need. Yes, I am a day out type of cyclist, so pointless spending a load of cash if the phone will help me. Perhaps it is about time I put more effort into dealing with this map reading problem I have always had - never too late, even at 66!
I have recently retired and always promised myself that I would cycle more and enjoy me new found freedom.......so here goes, phone at the ready!!
Thanks to everyone who has replied, very much appreciated.
Jane
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Jancathy wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 2:35pmI have a Samsung galaxy phone, so could try getting an app on that. Once I have used that to track my route a few times, I will know if that is all I need.
I think that's a sensible decision as it's a cost-free way of testing out what's available so, if you decided to buy a dedicated unit, you'd have a clearer idea of which features were important to you.

You'll find a bewildering array of free cycle satnav apps so I'll give you 2 recommendations based on which I've found most user-friendly.

1. Cyclestreets. This also allows you to download a free UK/Ireland map, with excellent detail on cycle routes, which means you'd only be using minimal phone data to get the remote server to calculate each route. The 'liveride' feature is the satnav bit, however I never use that - I just get the route showing on the map and then only pull the phone out of my pocket whenever I need to see where I am in relation to the route (shown as a clear purple line.) I find this 'semi map' approach to using the app is a much less stressful way of navigating than constantly trying to listen out for a voice or squint at arrows on a screen, plus it barely touches your battery.

2. Google maps. You can also download parts of the map, to reduce data usage whilst out and about. The main benefits are that it's simple to use, the routing is okay, and it's crammed with info. so finding your destination, opening times, phone numbers etc are all easily done.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

I think that's a wise choice.

I think your phone is Android, whereas I'm on iPhone. Most of the apps do both phones, but some will be just one. A quick search here and elsewhere will give you plenty of results, but I know a few people here like OSMand, for instance:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=97243&p=902471&hil ... ne#p902471

Sometimes for rides one approach is to prepare a ride at home, on a computer, using a site like cycle.travel (the developer posts here sometimes) or cyclestreets, or Google Maps even, save the route as a GPX file, transfer that to your phone somehow*, and open it in your smartphone app of choice.

As I said, I don't use the smartphone mapping option too much, because when I have it seems to really eat the battery. But I need to change the battery on my phone anyway. Also bear in mind there are various options on the phone to save battery-life - don't have the screen on all the time, turn Bluetooth off, WiFi off etc. etc. On an iPhone you can turn everything off except GPS.

If you have somewhere to keep it, a paper map is still a good idea. Because you can open it right up and get an overview, but I don't bother carrying one.

*I've sometimes found transferring gpx files from my computer to the phone a bit of a 'mare, to be honest. It might be easier on Android.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jancathy wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 2:35pmPerhaps it is about time I put more effort into dealing with this map reading problem I have always had - never too late, even at 66!
Dear youngster

From what you've told us a smart 'phone or a dedicated device would be both easier to learn and easier to use on the road.

But I'd definitely recommend beefing up the map reading: it's great for planning and general enjoyment.

: - )

Jonathan
Jancathy

Post by Jancathy »

Hi Jonathon
Thanks for helping me make up my mind. Things are clearer now and I feel a bit more positive about things. Where I live and surrounding areas, it’s hilly, beautiful and remote as a lot of Wales is. The country lanes are easy to get lost in and I get carried away when out, so now I will learn to plan in advance. I occasionally cycle on busy roads, but don’t enjoy it anymore - like I used to years ago. Huge farm vehicles thundering past are not my idea of fun.
I will post an update in a few weeks with how things are going.
Thanks jane