Garmin Edge Explore

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
coastman

Garmin Edge Explore

Post by coastman »

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the uk Garmin Edge Explore comes with full European mapping installed.
Thanks.
philvantwo

Re: Garmin Edge Explore

Post by philvantwo »

Look on the garmin website!
coastman

Post by coastman »

The Garmin website states ‘preloaded Garmin cycle map’ does that include full European mapping?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

From Amazon
Question: Does it come with full European maps?
Answer: Yes, a full European Cycle map.
By NAVI gps SELLER on 03 October 2018
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Don't bother buying one, I had one for 18months and after that I was lucky to get 3hrs battery life, sent it back to garmin who sent me another one but that was even worse so I paid the extra and had the edge 830, 20hr battery life.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

philvantwo wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 7:41am Don't bother buying one, I had one for 18months and after that I was lucky to get 3hrs battery life, sent it back to garmin who sent me another one but that was even worse so I paid the extra and had the edge 830, 20hr battery life.
I have seen posts where others have enjoyed a lot more than 3 hours battery life on their Garmin Edge Explore.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

De Sisti wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 9:12am
philvantwo wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 7:41am Don't bother buying one, I had one for 18months and after that I was lucky to get 3hrs battery life, sent it back to garmin who sent me another one but that was even worse so I paid the extra and had the edge 830, 20hr battery life.
I have seen posts where others have enjoyed a lot more than 3 hours battery life on their Garmin Edge Explore.
Discussion in the Garmin forum:
https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitnes ... ttery-life

Jonathan
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

I have one:
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Does that also allow the use of OpenFietsMap map files?
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

It says on the openfeits website that you can, but it also says about downloading and opening files etc so its not for me but it also says you can report errors.
I still use my edge 800 from time to time, got OS mapping on there which I prefer and the battery life is still great after all this time.
peetee

Post by peetee »

philvantwo wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 7:41am Don't bother buying one, I had one for 18months and after that I was lucky to get 3hrs battery life,
Mine was pretty rubbish the first few times I used/charged it but currently the battery seems to last twice as long.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Apparently there was a software update. Apart from the battery life I thought it was a decent device.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I've an Edge Explore and it came with full Euro maps and indeed I've just installed the update from the Garmin site, I also use openfiets and Talkytoaster maps, and they are much better as they didn't try and route me on the M53 at Ellesmere Port like Garmin's did (!) must try latest map update in the problem area.
Battery life was at least 12hrs as I did a century ride in 2019 and drove home with it still on - that made for my longest and faster ride :wink:
Unsure on battery life now but it's at least 8hrs, both times with the screen timeout set at 15 seconds and the brightness at 60%.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

I use a Garmin Edge Explore and have found it to be a really worthwhile tool for navigation. But, like others, I found battery life to be a problem on kong days. As a result, I have just bought a Garmin Battery Pack which fastens to the bottom of the mount with the GPS unit on top. I had considered using a small battery pack in my handlebar bag and connected to my handlebars mounted Garmin Edge Touring GPS unit. But I was worried that in wet weather, I could have problems so the Garmin Battery Pack seemed to be an ideal answer because it connected directly to the GS unit via the mount. I confirmed with Garmin that the Garmin Edge Explore was indeed compatable and could do this and was told yes.

But it seems that is not the case. The Garmin Battery Pack I am now told by one Garmin rep, only connects directly to one model Garmin Edge and it is not the Edge Explore. Another Garmin rep said it did. Can anyone give me a definitive answer please.

Many thanks

Bob
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

20210420_064802.jpg
This is the underside of my edge 830 which is compatible with the battery pack.