if a Moulton would...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RodT

if a Moulton would...

Post by RodT »

...help prevent my wrists being abused on harsh roads? I'm being increasingly troubled by wrist pain after a ride, and I've been wondering if a Moulton would absorb some of the jarring caused by rough road surfaces. I ride both flat bars and drops. The problem seems to be worse with the flat bars. I've tried foam grips and cushioned tape, but without improvement.
Thanks for any observations.
Jdsk

Re: if a Moulton would...

Post by Jdsk »

Same both sides?

Can you add some photos of the positions of your hands on the bars?

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about a suspension stem?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163042668423

Something like this....

No experience of them.

Cheers James
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I have a Moulton TSR, and I imagined that the ride would be silky smooth ........................ but it ain't.

The suspension is there to take out the vibrations of the small wheels. My Mercian in 531c is perhaps more comfortable ......... and one heck of a lot faster and easier to ride than the Moulton.

That said, the Moulton is enjoyable and quirky to ride, but I can't be in a hurry or expect a "hovercraft" ride. Big bumps are smoothed out a bit, and paths and byways are perhaps better, but normal roads with their usual unevenness, man-hole covers, rough tarmac and road buzz are just the same as a 700c bike.

Quirky, fun, noticeable, different ........ yes. Expensive :shock: as well.
Would I buy one if I were to live my recent life again?

No, not at all.

PS:
The maintenance alone, is enough.
Tyres wear out faster, rear suspension hinge wears out, front suspension needs looking at every now and then, rear mech is so low to the ground the chain gets manky so you have to be fastidious at cleaning it.
Mick F. Cornwall
Campag

Post by Campag »

I experienced similar issues on conventional bikes, so bought a Moulton TSR mainly for my audax rides. It did help, the suspension helps to reduce road vibration. Different experience to a lightweight carbon bike, or even a traditional fast touring bike, so takes a bit of adjustment.

After a few years even the Moulton didn't help enough and audax rides (only 200k, not the seriously long ones) became increasingly painful. So the next step was a recumbent. So much more comfortable, especially if you have neck / shoulder / arm / wrist / hand issues. However a bigger learning curve than the Moulton. On the other hand, using a recumbent is the only reason that I can still complete 200k audaxes.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

A club mate had carpel tunnel syndrome, he found life much better with one of these fitted:
https://redshiftsports.com/products/sho ... nsion-stem
As I recall, he ordered it on line priced in US$, and it came after 2 days.
On the back of that, 2 others in the club now use these stems. I think about 2cm flex if you push it down hard, so not a nodding donkey.

Also, have you tried gell strips under your bar tape? Google "handlebar gel inserts" for lots of options.
You can also use gell bar tape as well:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/handlebar-t ... ape-black/

Is it just road vibration, or will a tweek in handle bar position/angle help?
Also how stiff are your forks? I am used to 531 taper guage forks (quite some flex to reduce road vibration, so quite comfortable). Some carbon forks are woven to be reasonably compliant/absorbant, some are woven to be rock hard.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I use a redshift shockstem as well and it works pretty well, taking quite a bit of the vibration out.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

@MickF
I thought you rode your Moulton more than your Mercian. Care to explain why? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

During winter I ride an upright bike to avoid changing the tyres. I also do not like my wrists being bashed and yes it is unpleasant going over every kerb upstand or pothole.

In summer I ride a recumbent and this solves the problem on the wrists plus the bike is about 5 mph faster. BUT there is a bit more bracing on the back when a pothole comes up that can not be avoided!

We await the miracle front and back predictive electronic suspension for bikes .... but I dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KPYIaks1UY
horizon

Post by horizon »

I'm wondering if it's more to do with wrist position than bumpy roads (or at least the wrists not coping with bumpy roads). I do get the odd twinge after riding my straight bar folder (albeit 20 " wheels which helps). So I've invested in some Ergon grips - they're on the bike, I just need to do a longish ride with them.

There's quite a bit on this page (scroll down) about wrist position and pain - or at least their claims. They aren't cheap but Ergon seem to tthink they will solve the problem. Just from feeling them on the bike is already enough to convince me they will be a major help:

https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-de ... =gptouring
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
531colin

Post by 531colin »

I think there are 3 facets to this........
the angle of your wrists
the amount of weight on your hands
road vibration
....probably in that order.
Most people set up their bikes with flat bars with less reach than their bikes with drop bars; if thats what you do, then you would expect to have less weight on your hands on the flat bar bike than the drop bar bike, assuming the saddle is in the same place relative to the bottom bracket.
If you have a sensible amount of weight on your hands you should be able to hold your position without using your hands (its in my DIY bike fit piece linked below).......

ImageBalanced position by 531colin, on Flickr

Unless you have more weight on your hands on the flat bar bike, wrist position must be the reason why the flat bar bike hurts more.
I suspect that road vibration is the least of your problems; I also suspect that a larger front tyre at less pressure would make more difference than either a suspension stem or a Moulton; as Mick says, Moulton suspension is necessary to make the ride characteristics of small wheels with narrow tyres bearable.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Mick F wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 6:54pm I have a Moulton TSR, and I imagined that the ride would be silky smooth ........................ but it ain't.

The suspension is there to take out the vibrations of the small wheels. [/size] My Mercian in 531c is perhaps more comfortable ......... and one heck of a lot faster and easier to ride than the Moulton.

That said, the Moulton is enjoyable and quirky to ride, but I can't be in a hurry or expect a "hovercraft" ride. Big bumps are smoothed out a bit, and paths and byways are perhaps better, but normal roads with their usual unevenness, man-hole covers, rough tarmac and road buzz are just the same as a 700c bike.

Quirky, fun, noticeable, different ........ yes. Expensive :shock: as well.
Would I buy one if I were to live my recent life again?

No, not at all.

PS:
The maintenance alone, is enough.
Tyres wear out faster, rear suspension hinge wears out, front suspension needs looking at every now and then, rear mech is so low to the ground the chain gets manky so you have to be fastidious at cleaning it.
+1

Mick F seems to share my experience of the Moulton TSR ( which I sold on after a year of dissapointment) Can't imagine it helping wrist problems. Larger fatter lower pressure 700C tyres might be worth considering? + what 531colin ^ said
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 8 Apr 2021, 8:14pm @MickF
I thought you rode your Moulton more than your Mercian. Care to explain why? :wink:
Yes, I do numerically speaking.

Any distance over 30odd miles would be Mercian out of choice, but I'm riding fewer miles these days and exploring more, so Moulton fits in better.

Yes, my Moulton is heavier than original, because I've fitted a hub dynamo and a 3sp SA, but compare the weights here.
I weighed the bikes only this week.

Moulton 14.2Kg = 31lbs 4.9oz
Mercian 10.6Kg = 23lbs 5.9oz
Difference 3.6Kg = 7lbs 15oz
Moulton is heavier than Mercian by a third (ish).
Mick F. Cornwall
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

I ride my Moulton Jubilee more frequently than any of my solo bikes and it is supremely comfortable, particularly the front end. BUT to get the most out of a Moulton IME it does depend on your riding style. I sold AM Moultons for many years and found that most people set up their front suspension far too hard and failed to get the benefit. I believe they were trying to emulate the feel of a std road bike. I used to advise them to soften up the suspension setting in stages, adjusting the damping accordingly, to see just how soft they could get it. Most people found this revolutionary. However it won't work if you don't have a smooth pedaling action. So if you spin your gears IMO it will work very well. If you're a "stomper" (like Mick :lol: ) maybe not. I have three solo road bikes that I ride regularly including a 7kg carbon bike which is lovely fast bike, but if I could only keep one of them it would be the Moulton. Definitely the best all round bike I've owned, and I've been riding it for over 30 years.
RodT

Post by RodT »

My earlier reply to all these helpful posts seems to have disappeared.
I’ve used gel strips under the bar tape for years.
I ride on the tops, on the drops, on the brake hoods, and never use a death grip, but try to stay relaxed and loose as possible.
My flat bars are Planet X Geoff bars with three riding positions. However, the angle of the end section where I grip the most may be causing problems.
MickF seems to have blown the Moulton idea out of the water.
My road bike has a quill stem, so I don’t think a suspension replacement is possible.
As for a recumbent- I’ve been overtaken twice by one going like the absolute clappers on the A30 into Penzance. And there’s another that travels the coast path in a more sedate fashion. But I don’t fancy descending from my lofty position after a lifetime up there.
Thanks to everyone for such interesting and helpful comments.