dawes audax/ dawes all season bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jawaka

dawes audax/ dawes all season bike

Post by jawaka »

I've just seen the Dawes Aubisque all weather bike. I was wanting to make my Dawes audax into a light tourer, but the tyres are too narrow for feeling confident on rougher tracks, but really I think the only significant difference is that the aubisque has wider wheels and tyres and wider mudguards.

I am thinking that the audax will take some wider tyres so A good solution would be to just put widerr wheels, tyres and mudguards on the Audax. I've got a Giant Defy as a faster road bike (and it can take mudguards), so the dawes is rather a duplicate, so would be nice to repurpose it.
colin54

Re: dawes audax/ dawes all season bike

Post by colin54 »

I've got a 1998 Dawes Audax Giro 600, steel frame, the widest tyre it will take with guards is 25mm with very little mud clearance, 28mm without guards. Clearance at the dual pivot brake calipers (assuming that's what you've got) is one limiting factor. Tyre clearance at the chainstays may also a problem. Different year frames may possibly be different, I don't know.
I'd take a tape measure to it to see what clearance you have under the calipers with the brakes applied and also on the chain stays, if you run too close there, any mud build up will just grind the paint off of the stays.
Nu-Fogey
531colin

Re: dawes audax/ dawes all season bike

Post by 531colin »

jawaka wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 11:58am I've just seen the Dawes Aubisque all weather bike......
Spa Aubisque?......... has disc brakes, so will take wider tyres and mudguards than will fit under dual pivot sidepulls.