is 7 speed cassette obsolete?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jawaka

is 7 speed cassette obsolete?

Post by jawaka »

I am going to go change my wheel-on vortex smart trainer to the model up (flux) with direct drive.

I am wanting to use an old 7 speed as I haven't got internet in the garage and using my regular bikes with bigger cassettes will mean taking them up and down the stairs.

My lbs tell me that the flux could take a 7 speed cassette with a number of spacers and provided it is the right sort of cassette fitting to go on the turbo trainer. but they tell me that 7 speed is virtually obsolete now, which seeing that my aged dawes horizon as well as my dahon espresso (just 5 years old) are both 7 speed seems a shame.

I am sure there will always be someone who will provide parts for older bikes, but I'm surprised that 7 speed is obsolete as there must be a lot of older bikes out there, used as undesirable to thieves, or occassional riders who are happy with their old bike and wouldn't want to spend on updating. Mind you it is probably manufacturers trying to make less young machines obsolete so that they need replacing
colin54

Re: is 7 speed cassette obsolete?

Post by colin54 »

7 speed cassettes are still in this years catalogue for lower end groups, e.g.Tourney and Altus.
https://na.s-tec.shimano.com/s3_assets/ ... _U_v04.pdf
Cassettes are still available at the moment e.g. from Spa, two listed here.

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s150p23 ... d-CS-HG200, in 12-28teeth and 12-32t.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s150p39 ... pd-CS-HG41 11-28 teeth

Match with a KMC 8 speed chain
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m8b0s111p27 ... grey-X8-93
There doesn't seem to be as wide a choice of ratios that there used to be though.
A lot of places are out of stock of popular items at the moment due to Covid related supply chain difficulties, so possibly your
local shop is experiencing problems due to this.
Nu-Fogey
scottg

Post by scottg »

With a 7s Shimano wheel, you can use a 9s or 10s cassette,
leave off the the first cog.
Some of the cassettes come with two serrated cogs,
for use next to the lock ring. Look for cassettes with a 12t
in second position.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

7 speed freewheels are very common on cheap bikes. 7 speed cassettes are still about but aren't as common. Having said that some major brands use them on some popular models eg. Dawes Mojave. Most bike shops don't see a lot of them on newer bikes so people tend to forget they exist I think! No reason not to keep using it, and the rear wheel on a 7 speed freehub has less dish than 8 speed and up freehub wheel so is a bit stronger. I'm not sure if you can get high quality 7 speed freehub wheels new though, they tend to be at the lower end these days. Having said that I'm not sure if newer bikes that use a 7 speed cassette are just likely to be an 8/9/10 speed freehub wheel with a spacer.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

scottg wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 1:30pm With a 7s Shimano wheel, you can use a 9s or 10s cassette,
leave off the the first cog.
Some of the cassettes come with two serrated cogs,
for use next to the lock ring. Look for cassettes with a 12t
in second position.
Er... so you end up with an 8- or 9-sprocket cassette with spacing that's incompatible with your existing 7-speed shifters and 7-speed chain? This does not sound like a particularly useful thing to do. Much better to buy a 7-speed cassette - which, as colin54 points out, are still available, Brexit/Covid/Suez problems allowing) and use spacers.

To the OP: the Flux comes with the 1.85mm spacer to convert its freehub from 11-speed to 8/9/10-speed compatible. To use the 7-speed cassette you'll need (I think) another 4.5mm of cassette spacers. You may find that your rear derailleur needs adjusting though. If you need a new 7-speed cassette, perfectly decent models are also still produced by SRAM and Sunrace, and overpriced premium quality ones by IRD. Good luck finding one in stock anywhere at the moment though.

7-speed is obsolescent in the sense that it's rarely spec'd on new bikes, and those new bikes that it does appear on are invariably cheap'n-cheerful* sub-£200 "mountain bikes". As the equipment manufacturers make most of their money selling to the bike manufacturers they are going to focus on what the bike companies want, so there will be less choice available in older standards like 7-speed. Similarly if your local bike shop mainly sells and services high-end bikes, it's not going to bother keeping many 7-speed cassettes in stock - unlike, say, a community bike workshop, which will always try to have a few on hand. That's not the same as obsolete, though.

* I say "cheerful" - it's all fun and games until the cheapo v-brake pulls apart at a crucial moment...
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

You can buy an 8 speed cassette, dismantle and build it around the spacers of your 7 speed cassette. (AFAIK the cogs are the same thickness and take the same chain, or at least they are for my 7 speed). Obviously you can only use 7 of the cogs.
drossall

Post by drossall »

I was going to remark that SJS Cycles would be my go-to place for 7-speed, but even they only have one model in stock.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Ebay or Aliexpress.
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Decathlon have a couple.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/7-speed-1 ... R-p-100585

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cassette- ... p-X4406224

Although the Sram one is out of stock online, but available in store at certain branches.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I've seen a few entry level models from decent brands that have what looks like at first a basic tourney 3x7 drivetrain but then when you look at the cogset you realise they have put a freehub wheel with 7 speed cassette rather than a freewheel.

Also the Triban 100 originally came with a 7 speed freewheel but recently I see they have upgraded to a 7 speed cassette for the equivilant model now.

You can get a 11-34T 7 speed cassette which offers a very decent range for many bikes especially for 2x or 3x setups. If you have an old bike with a 7 speed freehub and don't want to upgrade the wheel then that cassette is ideal.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I'd say that 7-speed is on the way out.

We have a fairly decent bike on 7-speed, and finding a cassette which matches the current gearing is proving difficult. The usual regular sources (Spa, SJS) don't have them anymore, they've disappeared from the Shimano European catalogue.

I'm assuming I'll have to either retire that bike, or do a significant upgrade when the current cassette wears beyond sensible. I'm working out a plan which won't get silly expensive.

In the meantime, my shopping list for other "not quite obsolete yet" spares for other bikes has increased a bit.

- Nigel
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

At the moment 7 speed cassettes are still widely available and relatively cheap so a long way form being difficult to source but there is a limited amount of choice available with regard models. I guess they will be available for a few more decades albeit with even less choice and higher prices. Looking at SJS cycles they have 3x as many cassette choices for 8 spee compared to 7 speed.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

On my old 26" wheeled, 7 speed MTB (in good condition and loads of life left in it) I had to change the rear wheel as the rim wore out. Long story but I now have two 26" back wheels, both with 8/9 speed freehubs. The first has a Decathlon 7 speed cassette + spacer. The second has an 8 speed cassette and no spacer. With the same shifters and rear mech they both work perfectly, albeit only with 7 speeds and the rear mech end stop screws and the inline adjuster have to be adjusted when swapping wheels (but only twice a year between summer and winter use).

In short I think you can use 7 sprockets of an 8 speed cassette on 7 speed freehub or use 7 speeds of an 8 speed cassette on a more current freehub. Both with your 7 speed shifters.

Ymmv, but it should only cost you an 8 speed cassette (and a chain whip and lock ring removal tool if you don't already have them).
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Tompsk wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:28pm
In short I think you can use 7 sprockets of an 8 speed cassette on 7 speed freehub or use 7 speeds of an 8 speed cassette on a more current freehub. Both with your 7 speed shifters.
Yes, and I have been doing so for some time, it allows me to build the 7 speed cassette that I want rather than rely on the limited choice of 7 speed cassettes available.

Only minor downside is, it is not very convieiant to take the cassette on and off when it is in 14 seperate pieces - you also have to do the lock nut up to the stupidly tight 40nm to stop the thing rattling.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tompsk wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:28pm On my old 26" wheeled, 7 speed MTB (in good condition and loads of life left in it) I had to change the rear wheel as the rim wore out. Long story but I now have two 26" back wheels, both with 8/9 speed freehubs. The first has a Decathlon 7 speed cassette + spacer. The second has an 8 speed cassette and no spacer. With the same shifters and rear mech they both work perfectly, albeit only with 7 speeds and the rear mech end stop screws and the inline adjuster have to be adjusted when swapping wheels (but only twice a year between summer and winter use).

Ymmv, but it should only cost you an 8 speed cassette (and a chain whip and lock ring removal tool if you don't already have them).
The sprocket centre-centre distances on an 8 speed is 0.2mm different to a 7 speed (8 speed 4.8mm, 7 speed 5.0mm). Over the six shifts to cover a 7-speed cassette, that's 1.2mm, and getting into the "noticeable" territory on mechanisms, though if set for the centre of the range, and +/- 0.6mm on the extremes it's probably OK.

The bike in question is already using an 8-speed free-hub with a spacer to shift the sprockets outwards. I'll experiment with an 8-speed, thanks for the prompt.