Does Anyone Know If This Is A Good Buy? Second Hand Bike (Bike No Longer Available)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Cycling_Man

Does Anyone Know If This Is A Good Buy? Second Hand Bike (Bike No Longer Available)

Post by Cycling_Man »

----------------------------------------------------------
EDIT

I never got to see this bike. I planned to see the bike but the seller messaged me stating that he had given the bike to his son before I got to see it.

Since this bike is no longer available you do not need to help me with this one. However I will be looking for other bikes and will probably need help with those since I am not knowledgeable in cycling like a lot of you are.

Thanks guys, Cycling_Man
----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys.

I have been wanting to purchase a road bike for a little bit now and have been trying to get a second hand one that is decent but isn't too expensive. I have just seen this one pop up on a local site and I wanted to know what you guys thought and if think this is a good deal that I should snap up quick.

The bike itself is a Carrera Virtuoso Road Bike but I don't know what model. If you could tell me this that would be really good. It is priced at £70. The description states that the bike all works as it should and just needs some bar tape. Here is a picture of the bike itself bellow.

The Bike
https://imgur.com/a/SJ8g5pN

Many thanks for reading and for your help, Cycling_Man
Last edited by Cycling_Man on 10 Apr 2021, 11:31pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jamesh

Re: Does Anyone Know If This Is A Good Buy? Second Hand Bike

Post by Jamesh »

Carrera is the Halfords brand and virtuoso the model.

Basic bike but ok.

Cheers James
horizon

Post by horizon »

I think it's great. The only two provisos I would have is that the forks or frame (aluminium) are in any way damaged (e.g. in a crash) and that the (Sora) mechs might be worn if the bike has been well used. So your costs (rims, tyres, cassette, chain, brake blocks etc) might come later.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

It might be.......or not.You could get a couple of years use without much outlay, however,a worst case scenario might be replacement of drivetrain,£100-00,likewise worn rims needing a rebuild or new wheelset £120-00 upwards.This is where some knowledge would be really useful,or maybe a pal who can give you an assessment.Lots of advice on the net.I,ve just bought 2nd hand unseen,took a chance and came away with a cracking buy but I have years of mistakes and experience to go on.
Saying that,the bike seems to have been upgraded.I don,t think shimano 105 or Bontrager wheels were original spec though these could have come down the food chain from a previous owner upgrading his "best bike".£70-00 is nothing to pay for a halfway decent runner,take it for a short run,operate gears ,brakes and if it fits.......go for it!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Yeah. You can findthings like rear mechs cheap enough. Only likely costs might be chain and cassette. Just check it runs through the gears ok although cables might be sticky. Good bargaining point if they are a bit sluggish. With the demand for bikes at the moment I would buy it, fix it if needed and be happy at doubling my money or more.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

OP is 6'2".....this bike doesn't look very big?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cycling_Man wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 11:39pmI have been wanting to purchase a road bike for a little bit now and have been trying to get a second hand one that is decent but isn't too expensive.
Are you planning to carry out maintenance and changes yourself?

Jonathan
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Looks a decentish bike for the money subject to any serious immediate maintenance requirements mostly already listed above.
As well as checking if the gears run through and change ok, I would also want to know if the stem and seat posts aren't seized, no point buying a bike if the saddle height can't be adjusted.

Take a mate who knows about bikes and ask about the bike's history ie if there are any scrapes in the paint ask how they happened..... is the answer plausible... a thief may not be able to give reasonable answers if the bike is stolen.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Try to find out a bit about the bike's history from the seller. Loads of bikes are bought - especially from big retailers - by people who ride them once, find it's harder than they expected - especially if they experience the burning buttocks - and shove the bike in the back of the garage till they come to terms with never riding it and get rid. ie Bike is almost as new. If it's been hammered commuting in all weathers, then the seller may have decided it's time to get rid while it's still rideable. The vendor's partner may let some info slip in casual conversation.

Condition is everything.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It's a cheap Halfords road bike with some better upgrades than original spec (105 chainset and bontrager wheels) it will be at the heavy end of road bikes, but it is kind of a very basic 'proper' road bike, not just a 'bike shaped object'. Very good for the price IF it's in decent condition.

It's an aluminium frame with steel fork. I'd check that the hubs run ok without play or rumbling, feel the rims for wear and spin them to see if they're true. Wheels are a big expense if they need replacing. If you have a chain checker use it or ask the seller to use theirs (it seems likely that they may have one). If it's very worn you may have to replace both chain and cassette, and possibly chainrings. Check brakes work properly and gears don't skip if you push a bit.

If you can't fix your own bikes and have to pay someone to do it costs can add up very quickly, but if it's in decent nick definitely a good buy, I'd say. The seller seems to be a bike person judging by the fact that their bike work stand seems to be incorporated into their balcony railings! This is a good sign, I'd say.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Here's a review of that year's model:

http://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/ ... so-review/

Take note of 531colin's caution though, don't buy it if it doesn't fit you!
Cycling_Man

Post by Cycling_Man »

horizon wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 1:27am I think it's great. The only two provisos I would have is that the forks or frame (aluminium) are in any way damaged (e.g. in a crash) and that the (Sora) mechs might be worn if the bike has been well used. So your costs (rims, tyres, cassette, chain, brake blocks etc) might come later.
horizon wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 1:27am I think it's great. The only two provisos I would have is that the forks or frame (aluminium) are in any way damaged (e.g. in a crash) and that the (Sora) mechs might be worn if the bike has been well used. So your costs (rims, tyres, cassette, chain, brake blocks etc) might come later.
cyclop wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 7:18am It might be.......or not.You could get a couple of years use without much outlay, however,a worst case scenario might be replacement of drivetrain,£100-00,likewise worn rims needing a rebuild or new wheelset £120-00 upwards.This is where some knowledge would be really useful,or maybe a pal who can give you an assessment.Lots of advice on the net.I,ve just bought 2nd hand unseen,took a chance and came away with a cracking buy but I have years of mistakes and experience to go on.
Saying that,the bike seems to have been upgraded.I don,t think shimano 105 or Bontrager wheels were original spec though these could have come down the food chain from a previous owner upgrading his "best bike".£70-00 is nothing to pay for a halfway decent runner,take it for a short run,operate gears ,brakes and if it fits.......go for it!
mattsccm wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:20am Yeah. You can findthings like rear mechs cheap enough. Only likely costs might be chain and cassette. Just check it runs through the gears ok although cables might be sticky. Good bargaining point if they are a bit sluggish. With the demand for bikes at the moment I would buy it, fix it if needed and be happy at doubling my money or more.
531colin wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:51am OP is 6'2".....this bike doesn't look very big?
Jdsk wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:53am
Cycling_Man wrote: 9 Apr 2021, 11:39pmI have been wanting to purchase a road bike for a little bit now and have been trying to get a second hand one that is decent but isn't too expensive.
Are you planning to carry out maintenance and changes yourself?

Jonathan
eileithyia wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 9:12am Looks a decentish bike for the money subject to any serious immediate maintenance requirements mostly already listed above.
As well as checking if the gears run through and change ok, I would also want to know if the stem and seat posts aren't seized, no point buying a bike if the saddle height can't be adjusted.

Take a mate who knows about bikes and ask about the bike's history ie if there are any scrapes in the paint ask how they happened..... is the answer plausible... a thief may not be able to give reasonable answers if the bike is stolen.
thirdcrank wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:45am Try to find out a bit about the bike's history from the seller. Loads of bikes are bought - especially from big retailers - by people who ride them once, find it's harder than they expected - especially if they experience the burning buttocks - and shove the bike in the back of the garage till they come to terms with never riding it and get rid. ie Bike is almost as new. If it's been hammered commuting in all weathers, then the seller may have decided it's time to get rid while it's still rideable. The vendor's partner may let some info slip in casual conversation.

Condition is everything.
gregoryoftours wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 11:29am It's a cheap Halfords road bike with some better upgrades than original spec (105 chainset and bontrager wheels) it will be at the heavy end of road bikes, but it is kind of a very basic 'proper' road bike, not just a 'bike shaped object'. Very good for the price IF it's in decent condition.

It's an aluminium frame with steel fork. I'd check that the hubs run ok without play or rumbling, feel the rims for wear and spin them to see if they're true. Wheels are a big expense if they need replacing. If you have a chain checker use it or ask the seller to use theirs (it seems likely that they may have one). If it's very worn you may have to replace both chain and cassette, and possibly chainrings. Check brakes work properly and gears don't skip if you push a bit.

If you can't fix your own bikes and have to pay someone to do it costs can add up very quickly, but if it's in decent nick definitely a good buy, I'd say. The seller seems to be a bike person judging by the fact that their bike work stand seems to be incorporated into their balcony railings! This is a good sign, I'd say.
gregoryoftours wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 11:43am Here's a review of that year's model:

http://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/ ... so-review/

Take note of 531colin's caution though, don't buy it if it doesn't fit you!
Jamesh wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 12:43am Carrera is the Halfords brand and virtuoso the model.

Basic bike but ok.

Cheers James
Hi guys. Due to me being new to this forum I'm not sure if this is the best way to address you all but this is the only way I can think of it.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and offer your advice. You have all offered some good things to look out for and I will try to be asking a few of you some questions on your posts as I would like to know more about what to look out for when buying a bike and you guys mentioned some bits that I wasn't sure on so if you have another message from me on here that is why.

Sadly the seller messaged me today when I was meant to see the bike and said that he had giving it to his son. Bit of a shame but I'll have to keep looking haha. Thank you guys anyway for all your replies and very useful information. Again I will probably be asking some of you for some more details on what to look out for.

Thanks again, Cycling_Man
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I'm sure something else will come up.

If paying full price then look for something with a carbon fork rather than cheap steel or Alu forks which gives dead ride.

Other parts including wheels can be upgraded quite easily.

Cheers James
Cycling_Man

Post by Cycling_Man »

Jamesh wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:10pm I'm sure something else will come up.

If paying full price then look for something with a carbon fork rather than cheap steel or Alu forks which gives dead ride.

Other parts including wheels can be upgraded quite easily.

Cheers James
Yeah I have been looking at a few but they are pretty expensive and don't think I want to spend too much at the moment. That is why I was looking for a second hand one as it would be cheaper.

There are two bikes that I have seen at the moment that look good but are pretty expensive but if they come up second hand for a good price maybe.

Trek Domane AL 2 Disc Brake - https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bike ... blue_black
Specialized Allez Sport - https://www.specializedconceptstore.co. ... lez-sport/
warey4life

Post by warey4life »

I always buy second hand wrecks, strip them down, get them shot blasted and powder coated then build up with new bits, or buy second hand and upgrade.
See attached Kona Roast frame which has been powder coated orange and built up with new wheels, forks and components, cost me about £400 in total.
Also attached is a second hand Penine road bike which cost £80 on eBay, I spent about £150 on upgrade bits.
Attachments
Custom
Custom
Penine
Penine