Classic Raleigh Chloe need some help with tyre size

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Frankiew

Classic Raleigh Chloe need some help with tyre size

Post by Frankiew »

Hi, i am new to the forum, I have a classic Raleigh Chloe bike, probably 40 years old, the tyre size looks really odd to me, 650x28A, they look fine but are old and need replacing. Im in the middle of trying to bring the bike back to its glory but the chrome on wheels have corroded quite bad so I'd like to replace the wheels too. I am removing the mud gaurds as they are damaged. Seems to be 20mm gap between tyre and mud guard so have space for a taller tyre. Any advice on where I could common size tyres and wheels would be much appreciated.

Frankie
Attachments
20210410_135552.jpg
gaz

Re: Classic Raleigh Chloe need some help with tyre size

Post by gaz »

Welcome to the forum.

At a guess you have unhooked rims, which may limit the scope for increasing the tyre width. Await further replies.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-26-590/
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Probably the commonest 650A tyre is the good old British roadster tyre of 26x1 3/8 -- a.k.a. 35mm i.e a fair bit bigger than your 28mm. Many years ago I had a tandem built for just such tyres. Corrosion does not look bad in the photo you have shown - to my eyes at least.
Frankiew

Post by Frankiew »

gaz wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:31pm Welcome to the forum.

At a guess you have unhooked rims, which may limit the scope for increasing the tyre width. Await further replies.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tyres-26-590/
Thanks il have a look 👌👍
Frankiew

Post by Frankiew »

tatanab wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 5:39pm Probably the commonest 650A tyre is the good old British roadster tyre of 26x1 3/8 -- a.k.a. 35mm i.e a fair bit bigger than your 28mm. Many years ago I had a tandem built for just such tyres. Corrosion does not look bad in the photo you have shown - to my eyes at least.
Thanks for reply, is the 28mm the width or height?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Frankiew wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 6:22pmThanks for reply, is the 28mm the width or height?
Both and neither. Cycle tyres are nominally 100% profile, but that depends on the width of the rim the tyre is fitted to.
Frankiew

Post by Frankiew »

That's the wheel size, so I could get away with 26 × 1 3/8?

Thanks
Attachments
20210410_185203.jpg
20210410_185036.jpg
Frankiew

Post by Frankiew »

Or could I use a 26 x 1.25 as they seem to be quite common? I live in Nothern ireland and delivery from that site is a little expensive
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Frankiew wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 7:22pm Or could I use a 26 x 1.25 as they seem to be quite common? I live in Nothern ireland and delivery from that site is a little expensive
NO. That is not the same at all. Decimal 26" tyres are for an MTB size rim which is quite different in diameter. The tyres are not interchangeable. https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

26"x 1 3/8 is the usual size found on a typical 3 speed hub ride to work bike and should be easy to find in any shop that sells such utility bikes.

That valve is not sticking out very far which suggests to me that the tube is poorly fitted. Changing your tyre to a fatter one may not suit the tubes you have. With 1 3/8 we would expect to see Woods valves not the Presta shown, but that might be to do with having a narrower tyre. Woods valves are a larger diameter than Presta, so the hole in the rim may need to be enlarged IF you change the tubes to Woods.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

To ensure any new tyre fits on the existing rims the important number is the bead seat diameter, 590mm in this case. See page at:

https://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html#iso

I agree the bit of the rim shown doesn't look in too bad condition so the current wheels could be used.

You could go for a new and slightly smaller 650b wheel which is a more popular size, however newer wheels are often disc brake only and don't have rims suitable for brake blocks so you have to be very careful. Having enough spare drop on the brake blocks is also critical too so tread very carefully.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The key measurement on the rim for finding suitable tyres is 18-590, an ISO marking which cuts through all the different ways wheel/tyre sizing has been measured down the decades.

The internal width of the rim where the tyre sits is 18mm (suitable for a range of tyre widths), the tyre bead seat diameter is 590mm (any replacement tyre must be the same bead seat diameter).

Your existing tyre is 28-590, the rim is marked 26"x 1 3/8" or to put in another way it will suit a tyre marked 35-590. Width wise anything from 28 to 35 should work so long as it's a 590 bead seat diameter.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Frankiew wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 1:56pm Hi, i am new to the forum, I have a classic Raleigh Chloe bike, probably 40 years old, the tyre size looks really odd to me, 650x28A, they look fine but are old and need replacing. Im in the middle of trying to bring the bike back to its glory but the chrome on wheels have corroded quite bad so I'd like to replace the wheels too. I am removing the mud gaurds as they are damaged. Seems to be 20mm gap between tyre and mud guard so have space for a taller tyre. Any advice on where I could common size tyres and wheels would be much appreciated.

Frankie
Are you doing just tyres, or tyres and wheels?
Frankiew

Post by Frankiew »

531colin wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:47am
Frankiew wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 1:56pm Hi, i am new to the forum, I have a classic Raleigh Chloe bike, probably 40 years old, the tyre size looks really odd to me, 650x28A, they look fine but are old and need replacing. Im in the middle of trying to bring the bike back to its glory but the chrome on wheels have corroded quite bad so I'd like to replace the wheels too. I am removing the mud gaurds as they are damaged. Seems to be 20mm gap between tyre and mud guard so have space for a taller tyre. Any advice on where I could common size tyres and wheels would be much appreciated.

Frankie
Are you doing just tyres, or tyres and wheels?
Thanks for reply (everyone) I just purchased some Raleigh 26 x 1 3/8 tyres and tubes. I've decided to keep the wheels as they don't seem to be a common size.

I am going to change the handle bar to a flat bar and also change the gear level to a modern click system plus also change the brakes. Il need some advice on this so il create a new post.

Thanks again all 👍
mcshroom

Post by mcshroom »

If you were going to replace the wheels, I'd probably look at 650b wheels rather than 650a. The diameter is 6mm smaller, but hopefully the brakes have 3mm adjustment downwards to compensate. The 650b/27.5" wheel size has come back into fashion, so tyres and parts are easier to find, although most tyres on the market would be quite a bit wider than the current ones.