headset help

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Newb

headset help

Post by Newb »

About a year ago i started a thread asking for advice in replacing a set of rusted forks. With a bit of elbow grease and gritted teeth i managed to pull apart the forks from the frame but i have another issue now.

I have a Carrera Valour 27.5" with SR Suntour M3030 suspension.

I have replaced the forks with ROCKRIDER Fork 27.5" 80 mm 1"1/8 V-brake QR 9mmUFIT
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/fork-27-5 ... R-p-200911

I bought a headset from amazon linked:
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

But the bearings i got, don't seem to fit into the frame of the bike.

Images below are the parts i retrieved from the old forks;

Can anyone link me a headset that i could replace these with?

What order do i put these ones in?

Could you give me the names of each item i have numbered and anything i might be missing?
Jdsk

Re: headset help

Post by Jdsk »

Newb wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:28pm What order do i put these ones in?

Could you give me the names of each item i have numbered and anything i might be missing?
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-he ... et-service

Jonathan
531colin

Post by 531colin »

https://www.hopetech.com/_repository/1/ ... 011Web.pdf...scroll down to page 3
Have a look at that.
It will help you decide if you have an integral or integrated headset, from looking at pictures of your bike, I don't think you have the traditional type with big, obvious external cups.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Newb wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 2:28pm
Can anyone link me a headset that i could replace these with?

What order do i put these ones in?
According to Halfords, that bike has a 1 1/8 inch semi-integrated headset. Apparently, for this type of headset, Carrera use an FSA 'No 11' which you can see here: https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type ... ting/no-11

However, to be certain, you'd want to check the measurements against your old headset. Towards the bottom of that page I've linked to above is a 'Documentation' section with a 'service doc.' you can download. This shows all the components and their dimensions (and the order you fit them in.) If the dimensions are the same as yours, then you're good to go. If not, you've got two options:

(1) try and find one that fits, e.g. on the FSA website here: https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/type ... _type=1933

(2) just take it down to Halfords as they should know which one you need, and will probably have an FSA or a cheapo alternative (Clarks) in stock.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Please post a photo of the head tube of your frame. I agree that it's probably a semi integrated headset and the cups are probably still installed in your bike frame. I was going to suggest wire-wooling the bearing races in your old headset and buying a couple of cheap 5/32" bearing clips:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bike-Headset-C ... B019ZSFCVO

Unless the races are badly pitted this is still an option but only if you find the compression ring (centering sleeve) that is missing from the parts you have. It will have been a split steep-sided conical ring, probably grey plastic or possibly silver aluminum. The parts go together as in this diagram:
71gs4H9l76L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Parts 6 are the cups that are probably still pressed into your frame. The compression ring that you're missing is the part at the top of the diagram on the left, or one from the right in the middle row in this photo:
41drA83S7OL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
You may also be missing another plastic seal ring like the one you're holding, although not ideal you can do without it on the top as you have the curved bearing cap (the bit that says FSA on it.)

The parts of your old headset look like an FSA no.10 rather than a number 11, but a clear photo of the cups in your frame will help to verify this, and also clearer close-up photos of the parts you have left. Unfortunately the headset you bought isn't going to fit at all, and you can't use the bearings from it either because they're not compatible. If you can't find the missing parts you can buy either the FSA no.10 or the slightly better no.11 (Keep the curved bearing cap with FSA written on it if you buy the no10 because you might not be supplied it with the rest of the headset).
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 10 Apr 2021, 8:36pm, edited 5 times in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I answered on cyclechat, where I saw this first.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mjr wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:18pm I answered on cyclechat, where I saw this first.
Thanks - just found that thread on Cyclechat. The OP didn't thank any of the people that responded to his 2019 request for help on there, the same as he didn't with his 2019 thread he started on here. You live and learn...
mjr

Post by mjr »

DevonDamo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 2:38am
mjr wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:18pm I answered on cyclechat, where I saw this first.
Thanks - just found that thread on Cyclechat. The OP didn't thank any of the people that responded to his 2019 request for help on there, the same as he didn't with his 2019 thread he started on here. You live and learn...
At least it is public so it may help others looking for help with a similar topic. Maybe it is difficult for the OP to log in or something, or maybe it is a set up for a long game. Who knows?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Newb

Post by Newb »

gregoryoftours wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 8:00pm Please post a photo of the head tube of your frame.
Just so there isn't any misunderstandings. I really do appreciate the responses im getting from this forum. I wasn't expecting replies so fast and from so many. From posters that have been really helpful and understanding. This much overwhelming help compared to other forums where i have enquired; Truly a Jewel in the Crown. Its been over a year as i moved locations for work so when i realised what a ball-ache i gave myself i put the bike fixing issue on the back burner.

Not one of you guys even gave me crap and showed remarkable restraint by not asking the question i have been kicking myself with for ages now; Why didn't i just visit a bike shop and get it repaired?

After replacing inner tubes and brake pads i thought i was a dab hand at this bike maintenance stuff, even helped someone else out. When i took the forks apart and googled the make of the suspension i realised i just might have messed up.

Imagemagic_1618165765015
magic_1618165757609
Imagemagic_1618165569207
ImageIMG_20210411_202243_6
ImageIMG_20210411_202027_3
ImageIMG_20210411_201954_8

The links will/should show the head shaft and also the headset i was given after my visit to halfords today. I showed them the parts to my old one and they said this would fit. Looks lot bigger than my old headset though.

P.S
The thank you button hasn't been isn't easily found.
Last edited by Newb on 12 Apr 2021, 9:51am, edited 2 times in total.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Newb wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 9:14pm Looks lot bigger than my old headset though.
Firstly - apologies. I'm always grumpy when I suspect I've been had by a 'fire and forget' thread-starter, but so long as I know that someone has actually read whatever drivel I've replied with, then I'm happy.

Getting Halfords to supply what looks like a Clarks headset was probably the most reliable way of ensuring you got the right bit for that bike, and they're reasonably cheap. The reason it looks like there's more to your new headset than the old one is probably because, as Gregoryoftours mentions above, the two 'cups' from your old headset are still inserted in your frame. You should be able to prize them out with a screwdriver and replace them with the new ones by tapping them in with a rubber mallet or a hammer and a bit of wood. (I'll probably get a bit of abuse for being a bodger here, but I haven't knackered one doing it this way so far.) Then just assemble the lower bits on the fork steerer, slide that up into the frame and put the upper bits on top and tighten it all up. You'll need to apply grease in various places, and get the tension right, but this is as good a guide as any on how to do it:

slowster

Post by slowster »

I suggest you edit your last post to save a moderator the bother of doing it, e.g. change the words to 'screwed up'.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

First of all there are a couple of worrying looking lines on your headtube.
IMG_20210411_221333.jpg
Before you do anything else these need to be investigated because if they are cracks in the aluminium then unfortunately your frame has had it and is unsafe to ride. In any case you need to remove the cups of your old headset from the frame (all of the black parts). If you don't have the proper tool for this you can carefully tap them out with an old screwdriver, ie putting the screwdriver down inside the headtube and tapping around the inner circumference of the cups to dislodge them.

With the cups out you should be able to see if the cracks are just paint scratches or if they're actually in the aluminium. If they're cracks, don't risk it, bin that frame, and probably the bike if it's in as bad a condition as your old forks/headset. To transfer tired parts of a relatively cheap bike over to a replacement frame is a can of worms unless you know what you're doing, and certainly isn't economically viable if you have to pay someone else to do it. If the marks disappear when you take the cups out then they are also definitely cracks. Again, bin.

If, and only if, the marks are confirmed as paint scratches, you can fit the new headset.

The headset they've sold you will work.
The top concave curved part is taller than your current headset but if you are fitting a new fork you will be cutting the steerer to fit whatever suits the headset and spacers/stem to achieve desired bar height. Watch YouTube videos on how to install a threadless headset. Have a go if you want, but as you have a new fork you'll have to cut the steerer to length and install a new star nut in the fork steerer as well as install the rest of the headset. Here is a link to a video showing how to make a headset press:https://youtu.be/bVsnjjZa3cU
And another showing fitting a new fork/headset:https://youtu.be/lRL0WsGDMhc

As it seems like you don't have much experience with bike mechanics, I think that it would be a safer bet to take the bike to a bike shop with a good reputation for mechanics, and the proper tools for the job. Draw a marker circle around the suspect cracks on your frame and leave a note attached to the bike to get an opinion on it before any further work is done.

Messages don't always get passed on between staff in a busy workshop and it's something that could get missed. Fitting a new fork with headset including cutting the steerer and installing the start nut will cost in the region of £30-40. If you just get them to remove the old cups and press the new ones in and nothing else it might be £15-20.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.FSA-NO-10-Thre ... 100168.htm

You need an FSA number 10 threadless headset.