Advice on jerseys

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gom

Re: Advice on jerseys

Post by gom »

TrevA wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:21pm ...
All very well if you don’t want to carry stuff in your pockets, but I do. ...
Fair enough. I always found proper cycling jerseys too tight and unflattering or too loose and uncomfortable. Also I carry more than a couple of pockets will take - including a thermos of coffee and probably one of soup in the recent unusual winter.
There is no universally correct choice.
Good luck with your search.
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Post by Scottish.cyclist.lad »

I like the concept of fat lad at the back but their design choices are questionable more often than not. De gustibus though...
TimeTraveller

Post by TimeTraveller »

You could always get a few new Surplus Military coolmax t-shirts... some even available in long sleeve black brown and tan colours can be found...
190/120 are a great size if your big and lumpy if not go down a size to 190/110..
the coolmax fabric is both long lasting (holds shape wears well) and those things dont pick up and nasty smells like cheaper version...
Pete... I think
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

the fit on Foska is quite relaxed.
Funkier sizes are true ,
MTB clothes are baggy if you don't like the lycra look
NUKe

Post by simonhill »

Aussie work shirts. Hi viz, breathable, sun protection and a loosish fit to allow to breathe. Long or short sleeve Polo shirt design.

https://www.workweardirect.online/colle ... eeve-3pack

I've been wearing them for years now. Bought one on first tour to Oz in 2004, mainly because their drivers are so bad and anything that helped me stand out was useful. Worn alone they are cool (I've ridden many times in the 30s C), tucked in with fleece on top or vest under, almost like a thermal top. I found them very comfortable and versatile and have bought more on subsequent visits.

Unfortunately you can't get them in the UK - only heavy cotton with stuck on reflective tape available here.
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

I’m a bit on the portly side myself these days. But for me the right answer to "which jersey?" is ALWAYS a Torm.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thanks again for all the replies
I am leaning towards getting a couple of new walking tops as that will cover me for both my walking and cycling
Must admit that i like the look of the Torm tops though but think they are a bit expensive but as im new to cycle wear im not sure what is and what isnt lol
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you go to Decathlon, it’s worth looking at the running and hiking gear too. They do some good stuff and it’s often cheaper than some of the cycling gear. I have a running gilet that I use for cycling and a couple of winter undervests that came from the Skiing section.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
freiston

Post by freiston »

I tend not to wear cycling specific shirts/jerseys etc., preferring walking type tops instead (which I find tend to be cut lower at the back nowadays) but also carry a fair bit of paraphernalia. I usually have a handlebar bag or a rack pack on the bike but sometimes I want stuff on my person and so I use a small "bum bag" that I can put my wallet, phone, keys and a few other odds and sods in but I hardly know it's there when wearing it. It also helps keep the shirt down at the back.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

After I'd posted above, I was reminded of the late Albert Bouvet, a French pro who was for some years technical director of the TdeF. When he retired from that job the riders presented him with a yellow jersey they had all signed and he proudly wore it to wave off the start of a stage from the sunshine roof of the race director's car. Very figure-hugging. I've been unable to find a pic online but I found this with AB in green. The main thing it shows is how racing jerseys tend to shrink over the years, especially around the waistline.

https://www.velo101.com/cyclosport/arti ... tagne--505
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Unfortunately, if you are big, you are going to look big whatever you wear.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Check to see if this chap is giving away any old togs, or better still emulate him

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... m-56723775
bongo

Post by bongo »

TrevA wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 9:49pm If you go to Decathlon, it’s worth looking at the running and hiking gear too. They do some good stuff and it’s often cheaper than some of the cycling gear. I have a running gilet that I use for cycling and a couple of winter undervests that came from the Skiing section.
+1 - they also have Merino walking tops (I don't have any so cannot review) which are reasonably priced.

Also Tresspass often have running kit on sale, their DLX running tops are good value and hard wearing and tend to be long so good I find as a cycling top.