Advice on jerseys

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Godzy89

Advice on jerseys

Post by Godzy89 »

Hello all
Looking for a bit of advice on jerseys
Been a while since i have been out cycling and at 57 i am not exactly in shape after a few years eating and drinking
I do have a spare tyre so i am looking for something that wont make me look like a shrink wrapped chicken
I know about FLAB but are there any other makes that cater for the more rounded chap that are recommended?
I have a Decathlon near to me but not sure what their sizes and quality are like

Tia for any advice given
TrevA

Re: Advice on jerseys

Post by TrevA »

At 48” chest, I’m a firm fan of FLAB but previously used Decathlon jerseys which go up to 3XL. That’s 3XL in normal sizes not Italian sizes. You can often find larger jerseys in the Sale section of some bike stores. I have a Funkier brand 5XL jersey that is my main winter top, bought in the Sale at JEJames Cycles in Chesterfield. Also, look at MTB stuff. I have several Endura Humvee jerseys in size XL which fit well. I’m wearing the red Humvee jersey in my avatar picture.

I do have 4 Fat Lad at the Back jerseys. 2 long sleeve and 2 short sleeve. Good quality and the bonus is that they actually fit. They do a stealth range if you are not keen on advertising that your are a FLAB.

The Chapeau Cafe range is apparently quite generous. There’s a cyclist I follow on YouTube called Leonard M Lee who is on the large side (bigger than me) and he gives some good advice for the larger cyclist.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

I've not had much luck with the fit of the FLAB kit I've tried (though haven't tried the jerseys), but I get on much better with the Gonso (and possibly Loffler) kit from https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk. They're in Europe, but I've had no problem with orders from them recently despite the Brexit changes.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The implication here seems to be that riders of no matter what size should wear a road racing jersey. IMO it's a misconception.
gom

Post by gom »

thirdcrank wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:30pm The implication here seems to be that riders of no matter what size should wear a road racing jersey. IMO it's a misconception.
Agreed.
I have a variety of T-shirts and long-sleeved similar from cheap outdoor clothing shops. I wear one or many of these, depending upon the weather. Provided they don't leave your lower back unconvered when cycling - I'm OK with the ones I have - I find them just the job.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

I do have a lot of walking gear as i do a lot of walking but even that is starting to get a bit tight on me and i would think it may ride up the back when out on the bike
Im just trying to get a start in both getting back to cycling and also to lose a bit of the spare tyre
Made a start with eating better and need to now move more
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Lidl / Aldi stuff is cut in the larger size.

Boardman is a bit thinner.

Cheers James
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Might last the summer if you hand-wash it?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

As I’m not exactly svelte myself, I wouldn’t dream of wearing roadie kit.

I wear a lot of Decathlon MTB stuff - their shorts are excellent and their MTB tops are looser fitting for those who are not, to say the least, whippets.

And the prices are excellent - even better in their regular sales - and a lot of their stores have a sale rail (I’ve used the Giltbrook, Notts one and the Oxford store). Finally, their guarantees and returns policy is superb.

I also like and wear Endura Humvee MTB shorts - very comfortable and hard wearing.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

I have purposefully developed my body shape over the years. After all a bulbous bow on a ship saves an inordinate amount of fuel (effort). As a consequence I find that most of my warm weather cycling tops tend to advertise the various brands of beer that have contributed to my concerted effort to reduce my aerodynamic bluff body over he years. During the colder times of the year I find that British or French army "Norgie Tops" are a perfect combination over a thermal layer and under a wind/waterproof.
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

Thanks for all the replies and advice
Think a trip to Decathlon for some mtb stuff might be happening soon now the shops are opening
Il check out some of the other suggestions too

Thank you again

Godzy
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

gom wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:37pm
thirdcrank wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 5:30pm The implication here seems to be that riders of no matter what size should wear a road racing jersey. IMO it's a misconception.
Agreed.
I have a variety of T-shirts and long-sleeved similar from cheap outdoor clothing shops. I wear one or many of these, depending upon the weather. Provided they don't leave your lower back unconvered when cycling - I'm OK with the ones I have - I find them just the job.
All very well if you don’t want to carry stuff in your pockets, but I do. I don’t have a bag (except a small seat pack for tubes and tools) on my summer or winter bike, I carry wallet, phone, gilet in my jersey pockets, so for leisure cycling it’s a road or MTB jersey for me. When I was commuting, a t-shirt did the job well, as phone, wallet and keys went in the panniers/racpack.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

TrevA wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:21pm
Agreed.
All very well if you don’t want to carry stuff in your pockets, but I do. I don’t have a bag (except a small seat pack for tubes and tools) on my summer or winter bike, I carry wallet, phone, gilet in my jersey pockets, so for leisure cycling it’s a road or MTB jersey for me. When I was commuting, a t-shirt did the job well, as phone, wallet and keys went in the panniers/racpack.
To the OP, I would second TrevA's advice above. As a relatively new cyclist, I'm sometimes surprised at the number of "bits and pieces" I might carry. And depending what sort of seat pack (or perhaps trousers) you have, pockets in a cycling jacket can be invaluable. In no particular order, things you might want to carry are:

keys
phone
snack bar
lightweight rain jacket (in case it rains)
under helmet cap (in case it's colder than you thought once you get out)
full gloves (ditto)

The other day I went out with a t-shirt and fleece. The lack of pockets was a bit awkward.
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

mikeymo wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:36pm
TrevA wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:21pm

Agreed.
To the OP, I would second TrevA's advice above. As a relatively new cyclist, I'm sometimes surprised at the number of "bits and pieces" I might carry. And depending what sort of seat pack (or perhaps trousers) you have, pockets in a cycling jacket can be invaluable. In no particular order, things you might want to carry are:

keys
phone
snack bar
lightweight rain jacket (in case it rains)
under helmet cap (in case it's colder than you thought once you get out)
full gloves (ditto)

The other day I went out with a t-shirt and fleece. The lack of pockets was a bit awkward.
I do have a small under saddle bag that i use for keys, phone, tube, repair kit and levers but thats pretty much all i can fit in it
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Choice here. If you are of the ordinary clothing persausion then it is easy. Either walking kit or look at MTB stuff where things are looser fitting.
If you want rear pockets then it's the roadie look . Of course close fitting because the point of this is that is is close fitting and also because rear pockets don not work in flapping shirts. At which point vanity kicks in. Hmm. Personally I don't worry a lot. I just, if feeling fat, wear a slightly looser gilet over the top.