Tiger Crossing Picture

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gzll

Tiger Crossing Picture

Post by gzll »

Now this might not be the right place to ask but I wonder where it actually would be.

I am looking for a photo of a Tiger crossing somewhere in the UK, just like this one except for that it should be CC-licenced or in the public domain. Having such a picture would be helpful in many ways, e.g. for Wikipedia, or for small blogs.

I think Tiger crossings are a good idea (you could argue whether they're better or worse than Toucans, but they're definitely better than nothing) and too few people know about them. Having freely usable pictures would be of great help here. So if anyone reading this lives near such a crossing or passes by regularly, it would be greatly appreciated if you could take a photo and post it here (or in a more suitable location and link to that)!

P.S.: 'More suitable locations', a selection of which would be used by me afterwards if you were to post a picture in this thread: 1, 2, 3 or 4.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Tiger Crossing Picture

Post by Mick F »

Tiger crossing?

Never heard of them, but tigers don't generally have black and white stripes.
Mick F. Cornwall
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

This is a Google Earth image of one near me. I can photograph it tomorrow but it's now quite degraded, as is all road lining around here.

Please let me know if that would be useful.
Screenshot_20210411-190527.png
geomannie
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Mick F wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:43pm Tiger crossing?

Never heard of them, but tigers don't generally have black and white stripes.
Ditto.

Not nearly as exciting as I had hoped.
gzll

Post by gzll »

Mick F wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:43pmNever heard of them, but tigers don't generally have black and white stripes.
I checked with the search function and there were discussions involving these crossings, so I am pretty sure this name is commonly used. You do have a point there with the colours, I believe originally the stripes were yellow (still not quite a tiger). I'm in for a petition to make the tigers tigers again.
geomannie wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:08pmThis is a Google Earth image of one near me. I can photograph it tomorrow but it's now quite degraded, as is all road lining around here.

That would be brilliant!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Wikimedia commons (Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license) https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 58677).jpg. Not amazing resolution. Requires attribution.

Ian
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

There are several in Nottingham, associated with the western superhighway but I don't use those routes that often. Didn't know they were called Tiger Crossings!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.94458 ... a=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.94503 ... a=!3m1!1e3
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you want to see and perhaps photograph one of these for yourself, I think the official name for the current version as illustrated above is a Parallel Crossing and the one to look for in local authority publicity. I'm not so up-to-date on things like this as was once the case but I think Tiger Crossing - as referred to in previous threads on here - dates back to when coloured stripes were mooted.

I think these are the current regs and if you scroll down a long way, Parallel Crossing is the term used.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... le/14/made
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You could ask Cycling Embassy about using theirs:

https://www.cycling-embassy.org.uk/dict ... l-crossing

Jonathan
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Here is a Tiger crossing the road in front of me in India in 1995.
The detail is hard to make out as this is quite a tight crop from my original slide. It is walking just off to the right hand side of the road. The Tiger was about a 100 metres or so up the road in front of me, quite early one morning in Mudumalai National Park, south of Mysore.
:shock: :D

2021-04-11_08-31-34-01-01.jpeg
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

You win.

: - )

Jonathan
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Here is the one in Rhos on Sea. It is not a great picture from Google maps but if you need better I could get one.
Attachments
Rhos tiger crossing.JPG
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

I'm not sure why all these crossings need stupid names and come in so many variants. At least these crossings seem to give priority to those on foot and cycles as do zebra crossings for pedestrians. Most light controlled crossings now require an obligatory 40 second wait now.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Never heard of such a thing and to be honest I am glad. And just how is it intended that cycles and pedestrians stay in their own area? Would it not be better that cyclist dismounted at crossings where they mixed with peds?
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

gzll wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:51pm
Mick F wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:43pmNever heard of them, but tigers don't generally have black and white stripes.
I checked with the search function and there were discussions involving these crossings, so I am pretty sure this name is commonly used. You do have a point there with the colours, I believe originally the stripes were yellow (still not quite a tiger). I'm in for a petition to make the tigers tigers again.
geomannie wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:08pmThis is a Google Earth image of one near me. I can photograph it tomorrow but it's now quite degraded, as is all road lining around here.

That would be brilliant!
I'll ride by tomorrow.

Cheers
geomannie