Tiger Crossing Picture

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mjr

Re: Tiger Crossing Picture

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 9:44pm Never heard of such a thing and to be honest I am glad. And just how is it intended that cycles and pedestrians stay in their own area? Would it not be better that cyclist dismounted at crossings where they mixed with peds?
No. How would it be better for cyclists to become wider, slower and less stable when crossing with walkers?

This picture is available under CC:
https://cycle.st/p84611

https://www.cyclestreets.net/photomap/tags/parallel/ has more.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

rualexander wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 8:36pm Here is a Tiger crossing the road in front of me in India in 1995.
The detail is hard to make out as this is quite a tight crop from my original slide. It is walking just off to the right hand side of the road. The Tiger was about a 100 metres or so up the road in front of me, quite early one morning in Mudumalai National Park, south of Mysore.
:shock: :D

2021-04-11_08-31-34-01-01.jpeg
THat's interesting Alex - I can pick out something with four legs, but it doesn't look like a tiger - but exciting for you.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

this would spice up your ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZwcZ-94wdo

I guess you just have to pedal faster than your mate....
gaz

Post by gaz »

You're welcome to make use of this for any non-commercial purpose, Q1, Edward St, Deptford.
Parallel.png
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

MikeF wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 9:00pm Most light controlled crossings now require an obligatory 40 second wait now.
This really annoys me. I can understand why there should be a delay between consecutive phases but why should a pedestrian (or cyclist) have to wait for 40 seconds (I'm sure some are longer although I haven't timed them) for a stream of cars to pass. It makes no difference to the flow of road traffic if the delay is straight away or in 40 seconds. However for someone walking/cycling to work or school with a few busy roads to cross it can be significant. It is both unnecessary and prioritising motorised traffic over active travel when we should be doing the opposite. Rant over! :(
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AFAIK it's not the case.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Wombat crossing?
Wombats.jpg
Wombats.jpg (60.46 KiB) Viewed 625 times
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Pebble wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 11:57pm this would spice up your ride
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZwcZ-94wdo

I guess you just have to pedal faster than your mate....
As with the running shoes on the top of your rucksack in bear country?

: - )

Jonathan
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

gzll wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:51pm
Mick F wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 6:43pmNever heard of them, but tigers don't generally have black and white stripes.
I checked with the search function and there were discussions involving these crossings, so I am pretty sure this name is commonly used. You do have a point there with the colours, I believe originally the stripes were yellow (still not quite a tiger). I'm in for a petition to make the tigers tigers again.
geomannie wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 7:08pmThis is a Google Earth image of one near me. I can photograph it tomorrow but it's now quite degraded, as is all road lining around here.

Please let me know if that would be useful.
That would be brilliant!
Hi gzil,

Here is a picture of the crossing near me. Strangely, nearby on the same notional cycle route is another combined cycle/pedestrian crossing. The latter is formed solely of very wide stripes.
IMG_20210412_094459.jpg
IMG_20210412_094847.jpg
geomannie
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 10:43pm.....
This picture is available under CC:
https://cycle.st/p84611
Interesting; my understanding cyclestreets have take a CC BY-SA 3.0 image and add a "Tweet this" link where Twitter licensing terms conflict with CC BY-SA 3.0 i.e. other than the copyright holder the CC BY-SA 3.0 license cannot be used to publish on Twitter/Facebook and some other social media platforms as those platforms assume a license incompatible with CC BY-SA 3.0.

In theory they could have got round the licensing issues (or many of them) by creating a derivative work where the attribution and license terms were part of the image e.g. watermark. But they haven't. On the page https://cycle.st/p84611 they have included all necessary stuff to comply with the license but the "Tweet this" link will encourage others to break those license terms and you cannot expect people to appreciate the terms of the license when offered such social media links,

(My understanding of CC licensing)

Ian
gerry84

Post by gerry84 »

Can't find any mention of " tiger" crossings in the highway code. The last one on their list is the "
Pegasus" which is for horses. It is beside the pedestrian/cyclist part, and has a push button 2 m above the pedestrian one.
There is one not far from me, on the Blaby bypass.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

AFAIK, the HC hasn't been republished to take account of the latest TSRGD. Each new edition has to go through the quite lengthy consultation procedure so it's not updated with everything new immediately. As this type of crossing is officially termed a parallel crossing, I don't think the HC will refer to it as a tiger
gzll

Post by gzll »

Thank you all for your great contributions. When I started this thread, I didn't think it would raise much attention. Now it has various pictures of the requested road element as well as a discussion on cycling legislation and a Blake quote. Some people were initially disappointed by the apparently misleading thread title – but then rualexander took care of this as well.

A special thank you to geomannie and gaz who supposedly got out in the cold (well at least over here it's cold) and took their very clear pictures! Where not given yet, I would ask for a clear public domain / licence statement, but then there were mentions of already available CC-licenced images that I was too incompetent to find. Therefore this is not a priority; I will assume that I am at least entitled to use these images for personal, non-commercial purposes.

Thank you again everyone and happy animal crossing!
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

gzll wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:07am Thank you all for your great contributions. When I started this thread, I didn't think it would raise much attention. Now it has various pictures of the requested road element as well as a discussion on cycling legislation and a Blake quote. Some people were initially disappointed by the apparently misleading thread title – but then rualexander took care of this as well.

A special thank you to geomannie and gaz who supposedly got out in the cold (well at least over here it's cold) and took their very clear pictures! Where not given yet, I would ask for a clear public domain / licence statement, but then there were mentions of already available CC-licenced images that I was too incompetent to find. Therefore this is not a priority; I will assume that I am at least entitled to use these images for personal, non-commercial purposes.

Thank you again everyone and happy animal crossing!
Hi

You are more than welcome to use my images as you think appropriate. If you want a formal statement, please let me know the appropriate form of words.
geomannie
gzll

Post by gzll »

geomannie wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:05pm You are more than welcome to use my images as you think appropriate. If you want a formal statement, please let me know the appropriate form of words.
In this case I believe it would be sufficient to write

Code: Select all

The photos published in my Cycing UK forum post at https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?p=1596717#p1596717 are licenced under the terms of CC0 1.0 Universal (https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/).
This means you dedicate these images to be free to use for everything, by everyone. This is what I get from what I quoted above. Formally mentioning CC0 is helpful in case your images will at some point be used world-wide, e.g. in a Wikipedia page on Tiger crossings. For my personal use, what you have written already is more than sufficient. Thank you very much again!