Hybrid or MTB bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: Hybrid or MTB bike

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jamesh wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 4:04pm Is the fork on the pinnacle a alu fork or a steel fork?

Alloy might suggest Alu but hi ten infers steel as does the slim dropouts????

Cheers James
Fork is steel I believe.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:09pm Having used them, I would always spec hydraulic disc brakes [sic] IMHO they are very much worth having.
What's the price threshold above which that becomes a good option, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 5:07pm
Bonefishblues wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 2:09pm Having used them, I would always spec hydraulic disc brakes [sic] IMHO they are very much worth having.
What's the price threshold above which that becomes a good option, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
I'm not sure there is a price point I/one can quote, but if, for example I was comparing 2 cycles, and one had hydraulic discs, then I would be prepared to compromise on other areas of spec to have them, like F&R mechs for instance.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I think they are better otherwise cars would all have cable brakes!

However they are different to maintain than cable discs which have greater simalarities to rim brakes maintainance wise.

If your on it maintainance wise then hydraulics all the way but if your so so maintainance wise then cable or even rim brakes might be a better option.

Others might agree or differ?

Cheers James
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I would argue that Mechanical require more maintenance. Cable adjustment and replacement, with manual pad adjustment.

Clearly if a Hydraulic starts leaking, then it pretty serious, and needs more involved attention. But I’ve only ever had a one seal failure.

On drop bars i tend towards mechanical, due to the expense of going Hydraulic. But for flat bars Hydraulic all the way, it’s easy enough and cheap enough to swap out and there is an abundance of options.

Not looked at the detailed spec of the bikes in question so I can’t weigh up the whole package, but like for like on flat bars, Hydraulic all the way.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Hydraulic brakes especially don't like standing unused, they tend to deteriorate if you're not a winter rider and the bike is standing in the garage or cellar for 5 or 6 months.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

What deteriorates, out of interest?
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Sohail.Liaqat wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 10:36am Hi All,

I am new to cycling and this forum, so please excuse me if this has been asked before.

I am looking for a new bike but i am stuck between a MTB and a Hybrid.

I am not looking to ride on aggressive steeps/downhill on rocky pathways or on actual mountains but on the usual side paths, grass, canal sides ect with some bumpy pathways,

I am also not looking to ride solely on roads or use it for commute, so need some advice if i should go for Hybrid or MTB to be on the safer side.

Thanks
Most non-dedicated-racing-bikes will cope with canal paths, stone tracks and forest paths (check out the old rough stuff fellowship photographs). Personally, I'd try your local bike shop. How the bike feels when you sit on it, how it rides and even how it brakes are all personal things and what suits one person may not suit you. And these are things you can't tell from a photo or an online review.
A good bike shop will check over your new bike before you pick it up, and should make changes so it fits you. They may offer that important 6 month service for free and may even part exchange your bike when your expectations of what you want from your bike evolve.

..There's lots of factors about who you are (such as your fittness level, whether you are cycling by yourself or with a group, your height and body proportions) which will affect how you feel on which bike. Go to a bike shop, see some bikes, maybe fall in love with one :-)
Motorhead: god was never on your sidehttps://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&client=m ... +your+side