Replacement Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
krycek

Re: Replacement Saddle

Post by krycek »

Audax67 wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:59pm That saddle isn't compatible with that seatpost.

Questions to consider:

1. Does the pain come from abrasion or are there specific pressure points?
2. Do you cycle in ordinary clothes or proper cycling shorts?
3. If cycling shorts, with or without underpants?

Consider also that thick gel cushions love to push up into the pubic canal and compress everything in there (nerves, blood vessels, urethra) that shouldn't be compressed. I know of one bloke who narrowly avoided divorce when the feeling returned at the last possible moment.

I suffered horrible saddle galls for years before finding out that I had one leg shorter than the other and all my weight was on one small area. I moved to a supple leather saddle with a split so that the sides could flex independently and I haven't had any pain since.

Anyway, for a road bike such as you have I'd recommend at least proper cycling shorts worn without underpants and maybe with lube, then try the saddle that came with the bike before making any more purchases.
I do wear Endura Hummvee II Shorts - with Liner so that does provide some padding. I've only tried this saddle on a short 10 mile trek over smooth terrain, it's been at least 8 years since I last got on a road bike. I'm 6'4 and weigh 16 stone so maybe that is a factor. It's not as bad I'm making out, I can keep trying and maybe I'll get used to it
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Any exercise that somebody isn't used to is likely to make the relevant muscles hurt. The problem with cycling is that not only are muscles being used but in the case of the glutes (?) the rider is sitting on them. It can be a baptism of fire and it's natural to assume that something soft will cure it when it won't. It's getting the muscles used to working "under pressure" - the pressure of the rider sitting on them.

That's not to say that there are not other things down there that may cause problems and may need medical attention.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

I really don't see why that saddle should be incompatible with your seatpost. Saddle rails are a standard width apart with few exceptions. Of course the clamp wants removing from the saddle first, but as has been mentioned often the rails on the saddle are not quite a fit in the channels of the seatpost saddle clamp and need pinching or sometimes spreading a little, then as the clamp is tightened down they can fully pop into the channels. If they really are way out it may be a problem.

A photo of the saddle set in the clamp would help, one rail set in a groove to see how far out the other one is. Try that saddle anyway but I think that people often go from one extreme to the other, thinking that if a church pew isn't going to be comfortable then a sofa is what they need, when in actual fact a nice office chair fits the bill.

When I swap saddles between bikes that I already know I get on with it nevertheless takes me a good few days for my bum to adapt, and I ride a bike every day. People are often against them, but you could try a gel saddle cover to start off with, and then remove it as your bum gets steely. One of my group cycling end to end a few years ago was having an absolute nightmare of a ride on a saddle he wasn't used to until he finally gave in and bought a gel cover, he was fine after. But I do think they're a short term fix and for longer term health get a saddle that fits right and wean yourself off the hugely padded saddles/gel covers, unless the bike is an upright comfort bike for short rides only.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Once the original clamp is removed from the saddle, the rails look very short - not really any room for fore/aft adjustment. Could they be too short for the built-in clamp in the micro-adjustable seatpost?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
freiston

Post by freiston »

IMHO, those sort of big, wide, padded and sprung saddles are really only suited to bikes with an upright riding position with short reach - they're more like a seat than a saddle and will not resolve any comfort issues on what I perceive the Planet X London Road bike to be - a "road" bike with a fairly aggressive geometry - saddle high and forward with the bars low and forward. I'm echoing what others have said but the saddle will need to be able to support the sit-bones without being soft enough to cause pressure on other points and needs to be shaped narrow enough towards the nose to avoid chafing. Once a suitable saddle is fitted, then it will need positioning correctly but with that style of bike, I suspect that even when the saddle and the set-up is optimal, there will still be problems due to the aggressive geometry if the rider hasn't the core strength or power to maintain the riding position (so it would be a pain in the a***e for me :wink: ).
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
Rmr25

Post by Rmr25 »

Jamesh wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 12:40pm Have a look at wittkop saddles.

I've looked at them a few times in stores and the look quite comfy.

Beware others will be along to say you just need to get toughened up and gel saddles aren't the answer but as one who has struggled with saddles getting one that is comfortable now is a challenge.

Cheers James
I bought a Wittkop Medicus saddle from Lidl about, 2 years ago for £8, very comfortable, worth keeping a eye out for their specials.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

That's probably where I saw them.

Haven't been in for over a year....

Miss the middle isle!

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Once the original clamp is removed from the saddle, the rails look very short - not really any room for fore/aft adjustment. Could they be too short for the built-in clamp in the micro-adjustable seatpost?
That's exactly the sort of thing that needs resolving before splashing out on another saddle. On reflection, it may be what the OP was saying and some of us perhaps misunderstood as a comment on the distance between the saddle rails rather than the length available to be clamped.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

Another vote for Wittkop Medicus.

I have the Trekking Saddle on my Wayfarer, and that does me very well.
I also have an MTB variant (which looks more like a road bike saddle) which is also pretty good but the Trekking version won out in the end.

On my MTB I have a Madison G11 Comfort Gel.
I wore the original (bought used) out and the replacement was kindly donated by someone here.
I think I may have had a plastic saddle on the MTB originally but that is lost in the mists of time.

So gel saddles all the way for me.

I also wear traditional padded cycle shorts, most recently from Aldi/Lidl.

Oops! Forgot to hit the button. This is from days ago.