Replacement Saddle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
krycek

Replacement Saddle

Post by krycek »

I recently purchased a Planet X London Road but found the saddle to be so uncomfortable (Selle San Marco Monza), with a Selcof Zeta V2 6061 Alloy Seatpost 31.6mm

I went with the Amazon choice for comfortable padded seat but found the rails to be slightly too wide to fit the clamp pre fitted on the seatpost. Most of the options on Amazon seem to have this wider rail configuration so I'm looking for suggestions on a saddle with a lot of padding which will be compatible with this seatpost? thanks
Jamesh

Re: Replacement Saddle

Post by Jamesh »

Have a look at wittkop saddles.

I've looked at them a few times in stores and the look quite comfy.

Beware others will be along to say you just need to get toughened up and gel saddles aren't the answer but as one who has struggled with saddles getting one that is comfortable now is a challenge.

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Is your query that you want a gel saddle to fit this seat post?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/SPSEZETAV ... y-seatpost

Which Amazon saddle did you buy?

I ask these questions so somebody may help you avoid making the same mistake.
krycek

Post by krycek »

tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Apart from a few historic oddities, the distance between saddle rails is constant. It is not usual for you to have to pinch them inwards slightly when fitting, and I would expect that to be doubly the case due to the coil springs in that saddle from amazon. Note that a saddle like that is more suited to those who ride sitting bolt upright.

Saddle discomfort - If you are new to saddles, I tell people that your feet would hurt in shoes if you were not used to wearing shoes at all. It takes time to adapt, get used to pressure where you are not used to sensing pressure. Also depends on your riding position being set reasonably correctly. Saddles are highly individual and what suits me be unworkable for somebody else.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's not too clear from the Amazon pics but that saddle appears to come with a standard clamp, ie intended to go on a plain seatpost. I think that if you remove that clamp by undoing the large nuts on either side it should fit what came on the bike. If it doesn't the cheapest route may be to buy a plain seat post for your bike but make sure you get the right diameter.
krycek

Post by krycek »

I've already tried removing the clamp but cannot see any way to attach it to the seatpost so I'll give Wittkop a try

Thanks for the suggestions
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If you need padding (I do) I've always thought what is relevant is the amount of padding between your bum and the hard part of the saddle - not important is the padding is on the saddle or part of your shorts or both. Not everybody always wears shorts but I do so I have ended-up with a hard saddle (which I love) and one particular brand/model of shorts which has thick padding. If OP wears cycle shorts, getting more padding in shorts might give a wider choice of saddles? (but OP might not wear cycle shorts in which case this idea is of no help).

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

krycek wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:03pm I've already tried removing the clamp but cannot see any way to attach it to the seatpost so I'll give Wittkop a try

Thanks for the suggestions
My only comment would be don't confuse the desire for a soft saddle with the need to fit the saddle of whatever design on your bike. Otherwise, you might end up with a selection of soft saddles and a bike with no saddle. Solve the fitting problem first.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

By wide, do you mean the diameter of the rail, rather than the spacing?

I don't see that sort of information given on the link for the seat post, but if your original saddle fits, perhaps you could take some measurements and post them here?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I take it from the OP that this is the original saddle and although the rails are said to be made from manganese they look normal in every way to me

https://www.merlincycles.com/san-marco- ... 92841bf17e
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

That saddle isn't compatible with that seatpost.

Questions to consider:

1. Does the pain come from abrasion or are there specific pressure points?
2. Do you cycle in ordinary clothes or proper cycling shorts?
3. If cycling shorts, with or without underpants?

Consider also that thick gel cushions love to push up into the pubic canal and compress everything in there (nerves, blood vessels, urethra) that shouldn't be compressed. I know of one bloke who narrowly avoided divorce when the feeling returned at the last possible moment.

I suffered horrible saddle galls for years before finding out that I had one leg shorter than the other and all my weight was on one small area. I moved to a supple leather saddle with a split so that the sides could flex independently and I haven't had any pain since.

Anyway, for a road bike such as you have I'd recommend at least proper cycling shorts worn without underpants and maybe with lube, then try the saddle that came with the bike before making any more purchases.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

thirdcrank wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:19pm I take it from the OP that this is the original saddle and although the rails are said to be made from manganese they look normal in every way to me

https://www.merlincycles.com/san-marco- ... 92841bf17e
If it's at the wrong angle it could play Old Harry with the pubic canal - as can they all.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Audax67 wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 1:59pm That saddle isn't compatible with that seatpost.

Questions to consider:

1. Does the pain come from abrasion or are there specific pressure points?
2. Do you cycle in ordinary clothes or proper cycling shorts?
3. If cycling shorts, with or without underpants?
It wasn't obvious to me that the saddle & seatpost weren't compatible. I must have missed some information.

Regarding the comfort & type of saddle.... it's really rather personal. Audax67 has asked some important questions. I can add some general information.

Firstly, a saddle problem is seldom just a saddle problem. Being comfortable on the saddle has several factors:
-position; have a look at member 531colin's DIY bike set-up http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/upl ... -2017a.pdf
-shape & material; I don't get on with hard saddles. My favourite is Serfas RX, but many experienced cyclists prefer leather saddles. It is in any case important that the shape and material suit the individual & there are many different varieties available.
-clothing; cycling clothes are designed for comfort, but not everyone gets on with cycling shorts. I prefer a minimal pad myself & no seams, but other people cycle comfortably in jeans.
-being used to it; there is a certain amount of breaking in that needs to be done, but if short trips (a few miles) are painful, look at the points above this one
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

That saddle isn't compatible with that seatpost.
Setting to one side all questions of comfort, anatomy etc., why do you say that?