Cycling Camera... and a ****

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gazza_d

Re: Cycling Camera... and a ****

Post by gazza_d »

A lot of the choice around cameras will revolve around runtime.
Avoid anything that isn't 1080p for starters
Of the generic action cameras which are basically GoPro copies, then look for a genuine Sjcam. I have a couple kicking about which are good and reliable.
Runtime is usually only <90 minutes. And you should be able to get one for about £50-60 or so

Personally I switched to a Drift Ghost X a couple.of years ago. 1080p again, but with 5 hours run time for about £120. They are a more streamlined camera which comes with a mount designed for helmets. Drifts are designed for motorcycling. Mine is mounted on handlebars with a GoPro tripod screw adaptor and a cheap handlebar mount.

Search for the Nextbase dashcam portal and see if your local force is on. My force is Northumbria and they do accept submissions. The process is quick and simple and they're very happy to chuck out fixed penalties for inconsiderate or careless driving.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

gazza_d wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 4:19pm A lot of the choice around cameras will revolve around runtime.
Avoid anything that isn't 1080p for starters
Of the generic action cameras which are basically GoPro copies, then look for a genuine Sjcam. I have a couple kicking about which are good and reliable.
Runtime is usually only <90 minutes. And you should be able to get one for about £50-60 or so

Personally I switched to a Drift Ghost X a couple.of years ago. 1080p again, but with 5 hours run time for about £120. They are a more streamlined camera which comes with a mount designed for helmets. Drifts are designed for motorcycling. Mine is mounted on handlebars with a GoPro tripod screw adaptor and a cheap handlebar mount.

Search for the Nextbase dashcam portal and see if your local force is on. My force is Northumbria and they do accept submissions. The process is quick and simple and they're very happy to chuck out fixed penalties for inconsiderate or careless driving.
Indeed genuine SJCams are good and reliable, I now have 3, car van and bike.
For the bike I have it tethered to a battery pack and it gives 21 hours run time (not that I do 20h rides but means I only need to charge it up one a week)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is the Nextbase portal. The idea is that you click on the relevant police force ie the one covering the area where your incident occurred. If I click on my local force (West Yorks) it just links to the report it page on their www. If I click on North Yorks, it begins with the requirement to confirm you are prepared to attend court to give evidence

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/national ... ty-portal/
atlas_shrugged

Post by atlas_shrugged »

@markjohnobrien Well we do now. The other weekend I was out cycling from Ely to Mildenhall and on my way back was detained and prevented from cycling back over a bridge. Apparently there were a load of student oaves mucking about on the water and wanted their picture took. I know I am ugly but the last time I looked boats used the river and I was using the road. So I am not sure why they were going full on stasi on me but they did. If you look on the online Daily mail of that vintage you will see a picture of our 'friends' detaining, assaulting, and stealing the bicycle of an elderly man who was outrageously out for a bike ride. He happens also to be a criminal lawyer. Woe betide any old ladies inviting a friend round for a cup of tea in the garden.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

This is a public forum. We are members of a small, easily recognised, vulnerable and variably marginalised "out" group.
If we wish to be treated with respect by any group of people, whether the police or drivers of motor vehicles, then I don't think it does any harm for us to refer to others with a modicum of respect.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Now to the matter in hand.
"nomm"....what a dreadful incident.
Please don't respond to this incident by fastening a hard, pointy object to a bicycle helmet. I am not a helmet wearer, but its my understanding that one function of a helmet is to put something soft between a hard place and your bonce. Its my understanding that a helmet-mounted camera may have contributed to Michael Schumacher's head injury.

The driver in this incident is clearly out of control. I would be surprised if he is not known to the police for casual violence in other circumstances, for example assault on a partner or random people outside a pub or club, probably when drugged or in drink.
I don't think this kind of incident is bad driving, or a "traffic accident" I think its an assault.
If he were to run down the road towards you, shouting and waving a knife, he would be guilty of having a bladed article in a public place; if he stuck a knife in you he would be guilty of some kind of assault. If he were running towards you shouting and waving a stick, he would be guilty of some sort of public order offence, "causing fear of violence" perhaps.

However, if he is driving a tonne of motor vehicle at you at a wholly inappropriate speed for the road conditions, then what has he done wrong? Not speeding, because you can't prove his speed. Not dangerous driving, because no accident occurred, and you can't prove what he did. Yet a motor vehicle is the most dangerous weapon most people are ever in control of.

We have a new offence of causing death by furious cycling (or whatever) why not an offence of "assault with a motor vehicle" ? I would think the police would be supportive after that dreadful case where some gentlemen dragged a young copper down the road, when he died of his injuries. And drivers who attempt to escape arrest by driving off will also drive at police vehicles, or police officers on foot.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We have a new offence of causing death by furious cycling (or whatever) why not an offence of "assault with a motor vehicle" ? I would think the police would be supportive after that dreadful case where some gentlemen dragged a young copper down the road, when he died of his injuries. And drivers who attempt to escape arrest by driving off will also drive at police vehicles, or police officers on foot
The furious cycling offence is neither new nor does it cover causing death

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vi ... section/35

I thought your incident sounded as though it might be an assault, but with decent evidence and no actual contact IMO dangerous driving would be the appropriate charge carrying a maximum 6 months imprisonment at the magistrates' court or two years on indictment.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/53/schedule/2
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Don’t rule out things like motorbike dash cams... potentially powered from a USB power bank. Need attaching to the bike, where frame vibration can be an issue, but they are designed to loop record and be unobtrusive.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Johnocyprus

Post by Johnocyprus »

Nomm what a horrific experience and it made me angry reading it. I’m sure everybody reading this extends our best wishes to you.
nomm

Post by nomm »

Thanks everyone. I found myself trawling the local streets hoping to find the car yesterday eve, to what end I was unsure, but soon realised this was not a healthy coping strategy.

As many have said, a camera doesn't make life on the roads safer. 2 years ago I was rear ended, car stopped after being flagged down by helpful witnesses. I wasn't injured (apart from bruising and whiplash) and the driver stopped, gave details, let me take pictures etc. After some 'police work' (9 months after the event), turns out the car was untaxed, uninsured, and was registered to a fake address. :oops: After more than 2 years and lots of help from Slater and Gordan, I got a payment for the £500+ damage to the bike and physio bill. Good to know the system works. :roll:

None the less, I have calmed down, have been back on the bike this weekend with my son and some kind soul on here is sending me their old camera!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

nomm wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 7:46pmNone the less, I have calmed down, have been back on the bike this weekend with my son and some kind soul on here is sending me their old camera!
Incident sounds awful. Glad you're both out on the road again.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

531colin wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 5:44pmIts my understanding that a helmet-mounted camera may have contributed to Michael Schumacher's head injury.
I don't think that there's any evidence to support that. And it has been reported that GoPro once considered legal action over similar allegations.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/20 ... 8324932635

(But there is a reported quote from the initial trauma surgeons about him wearing a helmet.)

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Rather than risk the thread going in the helmet bin, I'd say that mounting a camera on your bonce - with or without a helmet - should ensure that you have a record of what you looked at eg car reg and suspect driver's mush. Both vital evidence for any sort of action. OTOH, this might - and only might - lead to criticism of your riding style.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you mount the camera on top of the helmet, rather than the side, then it’s less likely to damage the helmet in a crash. On the few occasions I’ve fallen off, I’ve banged the side of my head or the back, not the top. Also, if the mount is Velcro or plastic, the camera will just break away.

That said, the footage is just as good if the camera is mounted on the handlebars.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

nomm wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 8:24pm I'm not made of money, but would like something to mount on the helmet (which I will also start wearing) - advice anyone?
The one I use is a cheap n cheerful 'APEMAN Action Camera A77' which I got from Amazon for £45. Despite the low price it gives a good video quality. I have it rear facing attached to the rear pannier frame and may get a 2nd one for the front.
Hope you find one that suits you.
Steve