Cycling Camera... and a ****

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nez

Re: Cycling Camera... and a ****

Post by nez »

I get your point. Most of them can be set to non-wide-angle recording. I'm interested in trying that now, but as you suggest, the 'relativity' damage may have been done by the viewers seeing other footage. Management of expectations and all that.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I really do take a close interest in this technology because I can see its value in recording evidence. I'd only had a dashcam a short time when I had a really close overtake. I reviewed the footage and was amazed to see a driver coming the other way had mounted the pavement to get out of the way of the idiot overtaking me.

I can also see weaknesses and one is the "first impression" especially with wide-angle lenses. Again, when I'd only had my original dashcam a very short time I was close to being wiped out by a driver not giving precedence on a roundabout. Reviewing the footage revealed something that looked far away.

Equipment seems to be improving all the time. If there are models now that can be run in a narrow angle mode, that sounds like something to go for.
nez

Post by nez »

If you're reproducing a flat plane - something I do a lot of - a fixed lens of between 50 and 90 mm gives the most authentic reproduction on a 35mm equiv camera. I use Leica lenses for even less distortion, but there is still a little bit. For comparison, your iPhone is often quoted as 24-28mm equivalent. I think Gopro type cameras are at the lower end of that scale. I would imagine to '50 mm equiv' on an action camera is a post hoc mask recipe applied to the data. I suppose the right kind of technical minded person could strip it away and 'hey presto', here's your distorted footage again. ;-)
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Avon& Somerset don't seem to have an issue with the footage I submit from a handlebar mounted DJI osmo action cam which is approx a 100 degree field of view with the dewarp and image stabilization enabled.

If anything the lower position of the handlebars can make close passes look a little more dramatic, particularly the larger the vehicle.

Despite the form indicating otherwise, they don't seem too bothered about the absence of a embedded timestamp (though they do have an accurate date/time created attribute). The footage being challenged in court is a rare occurrence, never had to do it myself. I do compute hashes of the vid files and email those to myself to thwart any accusations of video editing.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 4:24pmI can also see weaknesses and one is the "first impression" especially with wide-angle lenses. Again, when I'd only had my original dashcam a very short time I was close to being wiped out by a driver not giving precedence on a roundabout. Reviewing the footage revealed something that looked far away.
There's also an issue that relates to cognitive science rather than optics: watching slow-motion replays might increase attribution of intent.

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2016 ... 1603865113

IMHO you can see the effect in rugby matches when the officials use replays in assessing potential foul play.

Jonathan
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

gazza_d wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 4:19pm A lot of the choice around cameras will revolve around runtime.
Avoid anything that isn't 1080p for starters
Of the generic action cameras which are basically GoPro copies, then look for a genuine Sjcam. I have a couple kicking about which are good and reliable.
Runtime is usually only <90 minutes. And you should be able to get one for about £50-60 or so

Personally I switched to a Drift Ghost X a couple.of years ago. 1080p again, but with 5 hours run time for about £120. They are a more streamlined camera which comes with a mount designed for helmets. Drifts are designed for motorcycling. Mine is mounted on handlebars with a GoPro tripod screw adaptor and a cheap handlebar mount.

Search for the Nextbase dashcam portal and see if your local force is on. My force is Northumbria and they do accept submissions. The process is quick and simple and they're very happy to chuck out fixed penalties for inconsiderate or careless driving.
Ditto,just ordered a drift ghost x to replace a drift stealth,which I got used from ebay but only has 1.5 hrs runtime.If this is any use to you,you can have it for £25-oo incl post.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Can you get a nextbase to put on handlebars -- I'd be sending in footage all the time --- not for crap driver syndrome but for littering -- one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world but people here have absolutely no wit or pride in Northern Ireland.
I am here. Where are you?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cowsham wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:00pm Can you get a nextbase to put on handlebars -- I'd be sending in footage all the time --- not for crap driver syndrome but for littering -- one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world but people here have absolutely no wit or pride in Northern Ireland.
They do a motorbike version but I think it's 12V so not practical for a pedal cycle.

You don't have to use a Nextbase camera to submit footage. NI is outside my knowledge but in England and Wales, the problems with identification in cases where litter is chucked out of vehicles have been tackled by making it a civil penalty which is issued by the relevant local authority rather than the police and it can go to the registered keeper

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ion/4/made

Here's the spin

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... -announced
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:30pm
Cowsham wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:00pm Can you get a nextbase to put on handlebars -- I'd be sending in footage all the time --- not for crap driver syndrome but for littering -- one of the most beautiful coastlines in the world but people here have absolutely no wit or pride in Northern Ireland.
They do a motorbike version but I think it's 12V so not practical for a pedal cycle.
Aren't there Nextbase cameras that can be powered by USB?

Jonathan
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 5:30pm

You don't have to use a Nextbase camera to submit footage. NI is outside my knowledge but in England and Wales, the problems with identification in cases where litter is chucked out of vehicles have been tackled by making it a civil penalty which is issued by the relevant local authority rather than the police and it can go to the registered keeper

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/201 ... ion/4/made

Here's the spin

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... -announced
That's good then any camera would do -- I see at least one litterer every ride. That long duration drift one sounds good.
I am here. Where are you?