SPDs on a road bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mattsccm

Re: SPDs on a road bike

Post by mattsccm »

A lot will depend on your shoes. I use stiff, racey style MTB shoes for almost everything. They are fine to walk in but then I wouldn't be daft enough to walk up Ben Nevis in them. Softer ones are not a good for long days on MTB type SPD pedals. I find that they create hot spots. Wider road pedals don't do this but then I use road shoes that are as stiff as I can afford.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Me too, with single sided pedals.

And after a bit of testing I have shoes that I'm happy to walk in on tracks and on fine floors and out to dinner.

The single-sided pedals mean that I can use my other shoes (which are sandals) if I have to while touring. And if anyone else needs to they can ride my bike.

Jonathan
drossall

Post by drossall »

There are also adaptors for regular SPDs that let you have one side as a flat pedal.
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

drossall wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 8:45pm There are also adaptors for regular SPDs that let you have one side as a flat pedal.
I have a set of those on my Moulton which means that I have pedal reflectors and if I want to grab a bike to run down to the post box or local shop I don't need to change my foot wear.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

drossall wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 8:45pm There are also adaptors for regular SPDs that let you have one side as a flat pedal.
Thanks for the reminder. I only heard about these recently through this forum, and I keep forgetting about them.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If I want flat pedals, I just swap them over. Five minute job and easily done.
Mick F. Cornwall
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Being plastic the 'cleat section' can get damaged quite quickly if you keep taking them on and off; especially if the spring tension is quite high.

When it was more common place that high end bikes came with pedals these were often fitted these when the bike was supplied with SPDs, so a customer could take one for a test ride if they were not wearing their SPD compatible shoes.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have used spd for years and love having the option of cleat or flat. Really enjoy the evening cycle into town in flipflop after a day touring.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

roberts8 wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:30pm I have used spd for years and love having the option of cleat or flat. Really enjoy the evening cycle into town in flipflop after a day touring.
There are a few choices where you can do just that:

Shimano M324 (by far the most popular of the three here)
M324.jpg
PD_EH500
PD-EH500.jpg
PD-T421
PD-T421.jpg
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Thanks for the great pictures - I’d forgotten I’d got PD T421 (with the reflectors) on my Dawes One Down.

Decent pedals and safer due to the unfashionable and built in reflectors.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I still say, that if you want SPD clips and cleats, use them.
If you want flats, fit flat pedals.
Five minute job to swap them over.

Why not?
Mick F. Cornwall
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Because some pedals - as mentioned above and Shimano A530- offer both and do it very well.

Some days I use cleats, others flat shoes like trainers or Vanns, and it’s very, very, convenient to have that option, that flexibility, on one pedal.
Last edited by markjohnobrien on 19 Apr 2021, 4:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 4:29pm I still say, that if you want SPD clips and cleats, use them.
If you want flats, fit flat pedals.
Five minute job to swap them over.

Why not?
By using single-sided...

1 I don't need to swap anything.
2 I don't have to buy another pair of pedals.
3 I don't have to carry the other pedals when touring.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed with markjohnobrien's with which I agree.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

............ but double-sided SPD pedals are easy to clip into, and single-sided ones aren't.
If you have double-sided SPDs and use them, and then want to go out on a different ride, change to different pedals. They will be double-sided too.

Simple.
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 4:46pm ............ but double-sided SPD pedals are easy to clip into, and single-sided ones aren't.
If you have double-sided SPDs and use them, and then want to go out on a different ride, change to different pedals. They will be double-sided too.

Simple.
I don't have any difficulty clipping into single-sided.

No-one's suggesting that you do anything different, but did you have the chance to read the two replies from other people to your question?

Jonathan