Strapping luggage to carradice saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
markjohnobrien

Re: Strapping luggage to carradice saddlebag

Post by markjohnobrien »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 10:12am Recent discussion of Voile and ROK and Restart Fast straps:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=143368

In order:

Jonathan
Interesting, thanks, and gives people options, but far too expensive for me: bungee straps for me.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Making sure the cords aren't frayed is part of minimising risk.
John
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Page 3 ."does anyone think this is OK?"
Yep. Stuff worry about every little risk :D
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I don't want to contradict anyone here.
There are alternative and more sophisticated methods of securing luggage to saddlebag/racks etc that I certainly haven't tried.
I've always securely strapped large and 'over-the-top' items with toe-straps, leather straps etc, and amazingly big stuff with bungees.
So far, having been cautious with securing, I've not had a problem.
Bungees have to be carefully used - loose ends with their hooks could cause devastating accidents and damage.
We certainly have to be very careful.
BUT..........what problems have people had, and with what forms of attachment?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I think the risk of death or injury by bungee cord is grossly overstated: I’m exceptionally clumsy but have never been hit in the face by one, or attacked by a fraying cord, and make sure (as part of a dynamic risk assessment) that cords are in a good state of repair.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

markjohnobrien wrote: 23 Apr 2021, 10:57pm I think the risk of death or injury by bungee cord is grossly overstated: I’m exceptionally clumsy but have never been hit in the face by one, or attacked by a fraying cord, and make sure (as part of a dynamic risk assessment) that cords are in a good state of repair.
Ah - right - thanks Mark.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Bungees are cheap, readily available and very useful. They also pose a considerable risk of serious eye injuries. It's much better to use straps or learn to tie knots.

https://lfgss.microco.sm/api/v1/files/b ... b58ea7.pdf

A Google search will produce many graphic images if you need further persuasion.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Surely the sale and use of elastic straps with more than a certain stretch should be restricted by law
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

I have dropped uplift and Saddlebag on more than one occasion.
I now zip tie them through the Saddlebag loops on the saddle.
I realise that they are no longer an easy lift off. I only have metal bag loops on my saddles but wondering if this might help the suffering Alloy loops that have been mentioned ?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The risks associated with going out on my bike, and as so extensively outlined on these pages recently, are filling me with cycling anxiety. I think I should revert to using the car all the time.

Too fast, too slow. Cords and bungees. Gears and single speed. Undertaking, overtaking. Busy roads and quiet country lanes. Helmets save lives and helmets are dangerous. Always use garmin, only use paper maps. Motorists, ebikes, mountain bikes, pedestrians, and even other bikes. Is it worth getting up in the morning?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

How about getting out on the bike in the sunshine?

And then tonight reading something that's both accurate and helps to put things in proportion... I recommend:

The Art of Statistics: Learning from Data
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... tkin_p1_i0

The Better Angels of Our Nature: The Decline of Violence In History And Its Causes
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Better-Angels- ... ext&sr=1-1

: - )

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 24 Apr 2021, 9:00am, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:45am The risks associated with going out on my bike, and as so extensively outlined on these pages recently, are filling me with cycling anxiety. I think I should revert to using the car all the time.
Nah, the dead dino juice powering most of them goes boom pretty easily.

I don't think anyone is saying bungees will kill. But they are a completely avoidable risk often underestimated, especially if they have open hooks not closed clips. I only had some bruises, shed loads and a bungee wrapped around the spokes before switching.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Oldjohnw wrote: 24 Apr 2021, 8:45am The risks associated with going out on my bike, and as so extensively outlined on these pages recently, are filling me with cycling anxiety. I think I should revert to using the car all the time.

Too fast, too slow. Cords and bungees. Gears and single speed. Undertaking, overtaking. Busy roads and quiet country lanes. Helmets save lives and helmets are dangerous. Always use garmin, only use paper maps. Motorists, ebikes, mountain bikes, pedestrians, and even other bikes. Is it worth getting up in the morning?
Thank you - I couldn’t stop laughing when I read this as I’m guessing this is a humorous write up of other people’s exaggerated fears.

Of course, if you are feeling miserable, and I apologise if you are, I always find that cycling in bright sunshine vastly improves my mood.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dunno if a bungee could kill, but the thought of a bungee hook springing into my eye is very frightening
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think so much depends on your load and the circumstances. For a cape on the flap of a saddlebag, toe straps seem the obvious answer, always assuming they are still available, not least because if you want your cape in a hurry the quick-release function is what you need. For fastening a tent, I'd still say some strong straps but security is most important.

I think bungees - especially adjustable ones - have a use, so long as you are alert to their limitations. IMO they are ideal with a light but relatively bulky load. I have in mind something like a large pack of lavatory rolls being carried on top of a pannier rack and panniers.