Strapping luggage to carradice saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JohnW

Re: Strapping luggage to carradice saddlebag

Post by JohnW »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 8:34am Having been prompted to consider it by this thread, I looked at the bag loops on my Cambium. They are already showing signs of wear from the steel tabs of the Classic rack, a combination I've been using for maybe four years. I think I should try taping the loops, but I'm not sure what sort of tape would be best. Any suggestions? Perhaps a thin layer of old inner tube, but I'm not sure that will leave enough width for the tabs.
A pannier frame............... :D :D
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Well yes :D ... but no.

Firstly because this frame has no pannier mounts. On the other bike, which has them, I also have a rack, and guess what? I use panniers or occasionally a rack-top bag on that bike, rather than a saddlebag.

Secondly, in addition to a rack-carrying, load-lugging bike, it's nice to have a lighter one for lighter fun.

Thirdly, and most importantly, I doubt it would reduce the wear in any case. The saddlebag and therefore the Classic rack (I believe this was referred to by other posters as an "uplift") would still move slightly on rough roads, and it's that movement of the steel tabs in the aluminium loops which causes wear. And I'd still be using the "uplift" because it allows quick and easy removal and switching of various saddlebags (different sizes to suit different occasions).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Back in the day you could get an uplift without the horizontal support. This is what I use on a daily basis. To support the weight of the bag I the use a Bagman. This means that the metal tabs do not move half as much in the saddlebag loops and you still have a quick release bag. The "uplift" has to be tied to the saddle pillar by an old toe strap or similar to prevent it moving vertically and possibly jumping out of the bag loops. This is on a Berthoud saddle where the cantle and bag loops are plastic, so the potential for wear is greater. of course the Bagman can easily be removed a well.
100_1407.JPG
100_1406.JPG
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

soapbox wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 9:16am Bungee cords are your friend here. Fill your saddlebag then bungee anything extra on top. I've always used them for sleeping bags and camping mats.
Elastic bungee straps can be very hazardous, one can get luggage fixing belts from the DIY store instead, they only stretch 2%
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

soapbox wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 9:16am Bungee cords are your friend here. Fill your saddlebag then bungee anything extra on top. I've always used them for sleeping bags and camping mats.
Yes, bungee cords are very useful and cheap. Lots of people get good use out of them.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I’ve used bungees for my rack to hold tent, sleeping bag etc for years. Great service.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Elasticated bungees stretch a lot and can spring back suddenly, maybe causing the hook to hit one in the eye, with serious consequences. Better to use belts that give much less, as used for securing loads in containers. Toe straps are quite good too, if not old and worn

Best to check them frequently and discard if damaged, maybe by moisture or sunshine damaging the material
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 22 Apr 2021, 9:51am, edited 2 times in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:43am Elasticated bungees stretch a lot and can spring back suddenly, maybe causing the hook to hit one in the eye, with serious consequences. Better to use belts that give much less, as used for securing loads in containers. Toe straps are quite good too, if not old and worn

True, but frames can snap, wheels fall off and a whole host of other things. No bungee has ever sprung back on me, which is not to say it can’t, but elimination of every single risk is impossible and the attempt incredibly dull. We take sensible precautions, minimise risk based on likelihood and try to live wisely.
John
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Oldjohnw wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:50am
Cyril Haearn wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:43am Elasticated bungees stretch a lot and can spring back suddenly, maybe causing the hook to hit one in the eye, with serious consequences. Better to use belts that give much less, as used for securing loads in containers. Toe straps are quite good too, if not old and worn
True, but frames can snap, wheels fall off and a whole host of other things. No bungee has ever sprung back on me, which is not to say it can’t, but elimination of every single risk is impossible and the attempt incredibly dull. We take sensible precautions, minimise risk based on likelihood and try to live wisely.
Agree: bungees aren’t difficult to use or dangerous with a modicum of thought.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dull, boring, is good! We can do plenty to minimise risks to ourselves and much more important, to others. For example keeping speed down

I have seen frayed bungees with elastic bits broken off, still being used, quite frightened me
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:55am Dull, boring, is good! We can do plenty to minimise risks to ourselves and much more important, to others. For example keeping speed down

I have seen frayed bungees with elastic bits broken off, still being used, quite frightened me
You must be easily frightened: I must admit I’ve never been afraid of frayed bungee cords.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

We can do plenty to minimise risks to ourselves and much more important, to others. For example keeping speed down
Is there anything analogous to an elastic strap that helps to keep threads on topic?

Jonathan (Asking for several friends)
mjr

Post by mjr »

markjohnobrien wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:59am
Cyril Haearn wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 9:55am Dull, boring, is good! We can do plenty to minimise risks to ourselves and much more important, to others. For example keeping speed down

You must be easily frightened: I must admit I’ve never been afraid of frayed bungee cords.
Frightened is a bit strong for me too, but I wince seeing people using bungees where the core has snapped and it is only holding together by the woven outer. Sooner or later it will fail. Does anyone think that is OK?

Bungees are an unnecessary risk when luggage straps are easily available. There are two types of bungee users: those who haven't learned from a strap failure and those who have been very lucky not to have a failure yet.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Recent discussion of Voile and ROK and Restart Fast straps:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=143368

In order:

Jonathan
mjr

Post by mjr »

I find simple cam-buckle straps suffice but smarter, more expensive, branded straps are indeed available.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.