Strapping luggage to carradice saddlebag

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: Strapping luggage to carradice saddlebag

Post by Bmblbzzz »

domnortheast wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 7:59pm The second occasion was using the bag loops on a Brooks Cambium to carry the bag. These are forged as an integral part of the aluminium cantle of the saddle and the weight of my kit and repeated jolting (more roughstuff tracks) caused the loops to distort out of shape though they didn't break. I don't think this would've happened on the steel loops of a B17 or similar.
Hmm, might have to look out for this. The Cambium is so comfy!
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:55am
domnortheast wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 7:59pm The second occasion was using the bag loops on a Brooks Cambium to carry the bag. These are forged as an integral part of the aluminium cantle of the saddle and the weight of my kit and repeated jolting (more roughstuff tracks) caused the loops to distort out of shape though they didn't break. I don't think this would've happened on the steel loops of a B17 or similar.
I used a cambium with a classic saddlebag rack and the saddle loops gave up after a few years. It was carrying a nelson longflap and sometimes up to (and probably over- I've certainly never weighed it) the recommended weight limit. I don't know if the metal tabs on the bag support accelerated the decline or if it was always fated to break
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

tatanab wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 7:22pm :mrgreen: funny you should mention that.100_1404.JPG
100_1404.JPG
Perfect, I rode for years with, toe straps securing my 'oilskin cape' using the bag loops just like you have @tatanab :D
frank_patt2.jpg
PS Neither in that picture are of me :lol:
Last edited by Paul Smith SRCC on 19 Apr 2021, 12:50pm, edited 4 times in total.
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

CliveyT wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 10:41am
I used a cambium with a classic saddlebag rack and the saddle loops gave up after a few years. It was carrying a nelson longflap and sometimes up to (and probably over- I've certainly never weighed it) the recommended weight limit. I don't know if the metal tabs on the bag support accelerated the decline or if it was always fated to break
I've noticed a little wear on the loops from the tabs of my Classic rack. Switching to a Bagman would end this wear but maybe put more strain on the saddle rails?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I've done plenty of this down the years.........weeks/fortnights camping holidays, family shopping etc......
No problems - as someone says, toe-straps are ideal if they're long enough - they weren't always long enough for me - I usually used bungees.

In my experience things to beware of include:

Piling stuff too high on the saddlebag and catching your foot on the top of the pile when you get your leg over the saddle whilst mounting/dismounting.

Too much weight on the kind of supports that bolt and cantilever off the seat-pin ("Bagman"type?) can cause problems. Too much weight and pedalling hard can cause instability. I've not suffered that myself, but I've witnessed it. I've also witnessed one of the cheaper models simply bending down under the load and the weight imposed on the mudguard!.

Not everyone will agree with this, but it's my belief that a loaded saddlebag is better supported fully on a pannier frame - to take the download.

Someone has already alluded to the bag-loops on the saddle - bitter experience taught me long ago that the loops are for restraining, not for carrying weight.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The second of Paul Smith's pics reminds me of an incident a few years ago when Camilla "was in collision with a cyclist." By the time the report had made it to the national media, the bike was described as having bread baskets fitted. Presumably some sub-editor had checked what panniers were and had used a dictionary definition.

Tempus fugit

viewtopic.php?p=274932#p274932
hoppy58

Post by hoppy58 »

Thanks all, for the replies...very reassuring. The Barley plus dry bag over will give a good amount of space (supplemented by a few other small bags elsewhere). I’ll keep it for lightweight stuff and strap/bungee it down.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

JohnW wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 12:09pm Not everyone will agree with this, but it's my belief that a loaded saddlebag is better supported fully on a pannier frame - to take the download.
Agreed. :D
domnortheast

Post by domnortheast »

Comfy? Each to their own. I christened mine The Punisher after the first 6 months. I think the aluminium loops in the Cambium would be fine if the leather straps are threaded through them to support the bag but I had the bag attached to an uplift and the steel tabs of that attached to the saddle loops.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

domnortheast wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 2:58pm.........................I think the aluminium loops in the Cambium would be fine if the leather straps are threaded through them to support the bag but I had the bag attached to an uplift and the steel tabs of that attached to the saddle loops.
Ah - been there - done that - not with a 'Cambium', I think it was a B17. The uplify bag support was a failure for me.
drossall

Post by drossall »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 3:27pm Surely the rings on the top of a Carradice are only for a yellow cape?
+1. My bag has a cape on that I never use, as I also carry a modern waterproof. But it wouldn't be the same without the cape.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

drossall wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 9:44pm........................My bag has a cape on that I never use, as I also carry a modern waterproof. But it wouldn't be the same without the cape.
:D :D that's wonderful drossall :D :D
drossall

Post by drossall »

What's more, I got the cape in a raffle at my cycling club. I thought they said "cake" and, at the time, was a young, single man, so I was a bit disappointed when I won, and was handed a yellow piece of plastic; I had been hoping for that night's supper.

I was even more disappointed when it transpired that the cape had been donated by a fellow-member who had broken an elbow when using it, and when the cape prevented her from putting out an arm to save herself in a fall. Still, it kept me dry in a fair few rain showers on the way to work :D
KTHSullivan

Post by KTHSullivan »

mattsccm wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 3:27pm Surely the rings on the top of a Carradice are only for a yellow cape? Ideally with leather toes straps that have broken at the buckles, been re-rivitted and are now a touch too short for their primary use.
Very Retro; but familiar :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just remember, when you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed. :lol:
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Having been prompted to consider it by this thread, I looked at the bag loops on my Cambium. They are already showing signs of wear from the steel tabs of the Classic rack, a combination I've been using for maybe four years. I think I should try taping the loops, but I'm not sure what sort of tape would be best. Any suggestions? Perhaps a thin layer of old inner tube, but I'm not sure that will leave enough width for the tabs.