... anything about this bike? (Hi-gear hillbilly)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

... anything about this bike? (Hi-gear hillbilly)

Post by nomm »

I recently saved a "garage" bike that was about to be taken to the dump, but struggling to find anything about the brand.

Hi-Gear, Hillbilly in very good condition with Shimano parts. Worth a restore? Or a donate to a charity organisation?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WNWfrrpmzhK7YwNH6
Chris56

Re: ... anything about this bike? (Hi-gear hillbilly)

Post by Chris56 »

Fairly basic but looks tidy and defo worth keeping on the road.

Its probably not worth much so eouldn't spend much on it - basic strip down, regrease and reassembly should keep it going.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Old school cool, kind of cheap and cheerful but not terrible, and it has something about it. Shimano Tourney back from when it was simple but solid. Good to have mudguards and they look cool in white! The bike is not worth loads though. If the gears are suitable for where it's going to be ridden it's a bike that is not going to be too fussy to look after.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Wants a front mudguard release, particularly on a single stay jobbie.
Rims don't look like they have ever seen a brake block
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Looks bought, stored and never used. Use it or donate it, or put it on ebay for a nominal sum - pre-Covid, when we moved house, I sold a couple of redundant bikes this way, both went to uni students wanting cheap transport which was unattractive to thieves or was no great loss if nicked.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
nomm

Post by nomm »

So far - new chain, pedals (one axel was broken), maybe new cables but not essential and the rear wheel is buckled (significantly), grips. Bottom bracket has got some play, but bearings seem ok - not sure if I have the tools for such an old style yet.

The rims have never seen a brake block so if I can sort the rear out, should be grand as the retro wheel looks cool....

There is a teenager on our street looking for a new bike for school runs so should find a good home - priced for new parts/consumerables and donation to LifeCycle Bristol
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

That looks exactly like my FOCUS "Two Wheel Drive". It even has similar 'vector' graphic.

Mine had very heavy steel cotterless cranks, steel hubs and rims all of which were US.

I junked all that and fitted Shimano hubs from the parts bin; 7 speed freehub alloy rims stainless spokes. Add in a £10 alloy seat post and she's a good 'un. Rides really well - in a sedate sort of way and very comfy with a Brooks leather saddle.

As a vanity project I filed the gloopy welds flush
nomm

Post by nomm »

jimlews wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 7:42am That looks exactly like my FOCUS "Two Wheel Drive". It even has similar 'vector' graphic.

Mine had very heavy steel cotterless cranks, steel hubs and rims all of which were US.

I junked all that and fitted Shimano hubs from the parts bin; 7 speed freehub alloy rims stainless spokes. Add in a £10 alloy seat post and she's a good 'un. Rides really well - in a sedate sort of way and very comfy with a Brooks leather saddle.

As a vanity project I filed the gloopy welds flush
Good advice. Would like for it to have some longevity. And yes, them welds are gloopy
531colin

Post by 531colin »

nomm wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 7:19am .......the rear wheel is buckled (significantly),.........
A confident wheelbuilder can repair quite badly damaged wheels.
If the rim is well out of true, getting it back straight just using spoke tension isn't appropriate, the tensions when "straight" will be all over the place, and the wheel will "go off" in use.
When I used to do a lot of this, I made up a thing like a saw horse so I could tuck the rim under the edge of the workbench resting the rim bends on the horse and push down to straighten the rim. If you are following me so far, you will understand which spokes to back well off before you straighten the rim; if you try to straighten the rim with the spokes tight you are at the same time bending the rim and tensioning the spokes; this isn't the best way to do it.
When out, a cattle drid (with round tubes) is a good substitute)
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

nomm post_ And yes, them welds are gloopy[/quote wrote: The welding on yours look pretty good compared to my 'Focus', actually.
If you do decide to file them, be very careful that you don't file into the adjacent tubes.
I used a needle file from a set of warding files and spent my evenings whittling. It soon became apparent that there are some areas that it was just not worth tackling simply because access was impossible. Definitely a labour of love but also, be aware that once you start you are committed to having to repaint the bike. The paint on yours looks quite good.
nomm

Post by nomm »

jimlews wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 8:56pm
nomm post_ And yes, them welds are gloopy[/quote wrote: The welding on yours look pretty good compared to my 'Focus', actually.
If you do decide to file them, be very careful that you don't file into the adjacent tubes.
I used a needle file from a set of warding files and spent my evenings whittling. It soon became apparent that there are some areas that it was just not worth tackling simply because access was impossible. Definitely a labour of love but also, be aware that once you start you are committed to having to repaint the bike. The paint on yours looks quite good.
Yes the more I inspect this thing the better condition I realise it is in. The steel rimmed wheels will have to go though.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Using the "Focus" for commuting duties, I've noticed that the seat stays have taken on a forward bow; presumably due to the action of the rear cantilevers (its hilly here). I don't think anything is in immanent danger of coming apart, but definitely an indication of the 'bargain basement' quality of the steel used to build the bike.