My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
matt_twam_asi

Re: My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

Post by matt_twam_asi »

ANTONISH wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:53am Music played as a background during speech is IMO a modern curse.
Check out this modern cycling video. The narration is drowned out by the music! Awful! ;)
horizon wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:47pmWhat we "oldies" are a bit incredulous about is why the youngsters haven't worked out a way to switch the music off if you don't want it. After all, it isn't rocket science (or should that be mechanical engineering?).
I say this with all respect, it's probably because it's not worth the effort.

Sure, Youtube could create a tool where video publishers add music within the website instead of editing it in before upload. It wouldn't be around for very long and would break any videos that used the tool, going on previous experience with Youtube.
edit - I've just checked, and it is technically possible to add music to YT videos within the YT Studio. I have no idea what effect this has over and above baking the music into the video.

THEN Park Tools could re-edit a version without music to all their videos, re-upload a music-free version, re-add the music in Youtube, and bingo! But what's in it for them? Why do all that extra work?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Simples, charge extra for music :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 5:10pm Simples, charge extra for music
I'm not sure how familiar you are with YouTube, but viewers of this type of content typically aren't paying anything to anybody and don't even need to register. This is a crucial part of the business model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube

Jonathan
horizon

Post by horizon »

Scottish.cyclist.lad wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:27pm Just like you think music spoils the videos, I'm sure there are just as many people (me, for example) who like the music and think it makes the videos better and more entertaining.
It could well be that the vast majority of people who view Park Tools videos prefer the music. It could well be that if the music were lighter and more incidental, then even that figure could rise (it would be fine by me). But that still leaves a small number of viewers (perhaps older or with hearing difficulties) who find it intrusive. While those people might not deserve our sympathy (and indeed should go elsewhere), I'm hoping that Park Tools will at least give a solution their consideration. It wouldn't be my intention to deprive people who do enjoy the music, their experience/enjoyment.

This by the way is from W3C:

The Web is fundamentally designed to work for all people, whatever their hardware, software, language, location, or ability. When the Web meets this goal, it is accessible to people with a diverse range of hearing, movement, sight, and cognitive ability.

Thus the impact of disability is radically changed on the Web because the Web removes barriers to communication and interaction that many people face in the physical world. However, when web sites, applications, technologies, or tools are badly designed, they can create barriers that exclude people from using the Web.

https://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/accessibility

I don't know at what point the music goes from being an annoyance to effectively an inability to view the site properly. There may be such a thing as hyper-sensitivity to sound which some people suffer from.

https://www.webmd.com/brain/sound-sensi ... eracusis#1
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I don't know much about speakers and sound setups, could it be possible that whatever system you are watching the videos on somehow makes the music more intrusive? The short clip I watched the music went very quiet when the technician was speaking.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 2:29pm
gregoryoftours wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:20pm It wouldn't be so bad if 95% of the music in bike mechanics videos wasn't such utter dog sh*t!
In your opinion!Someone else will like what you consider to be utter dog sh*t!
Iz actual fact
jb

Post by jb »

Attention deficiency is big problem these days and fast high beat music is a way of holding on to the remains of their attention. Look at you tube videos of technical subjects from the fifties, the professionalism is on another level. And it's not because the younger generation are any less intelligent, or less capable. But they have been brought up to believe that everything can be achieved at a fast pace with a few taps of a key pad.
This isn't the case in science or high end engineering but it is in the more mundane sections of society I'm afraid.
Cheers
J Bro
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

jb wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:51pm As copyright laws will stop them playing anything decent I think they are somewhat limited to the bottom of the barrel anyway.
Copyright laws don't stop them, money does. If they are prepared the licensing fees they can use any music they want.
Richard M
Cardiff
jb

Post by jb »

richardfm wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 9:21pm
jb wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:51pm As copyright laws will stop them playing anything decent I think they are somewhat limited to the bottom of the barrel anyway.
Copyright laws don't stop them, money does. If they are prepared the licensing fees they can use any music they want.
Well yes...it's the money thing that stops them.
Cheers
J Bro
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

gregoryoftours wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 7:40pm
gregoryoftours wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:20pm It wouldn't be so bad if 95% of the music in bike mechanics videos wasn't such utter dog sh*t!
Iz actual fact
So what music would you prefer that in your opinion isn't utter dog sh*t?
horizon

Post by horizon »

So here's my reply from Park Tools:
Hi xxxx,

Thanks for reaching out and for your suggestion. We will take that into consideration.​

Thanks,

Truman
Not bad (and quick, assuming it wasn't AI :wink: ). You never know, it might start something - or not!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for posting the response.

Jonathan
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 6:52am
Iz actual fact
Perhaps Enya's seminal 'Orinoco Flow' would fit the bill. Soothing, unobtrusive yet haunting. Sail away. Or 'Sadeness pt2' by Enigma.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

gregoryoftours wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 6:42pm
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 6:52am
Iz actual fact
Perhaps Enya's seminal 'Orinoco Flow' would fit the bill. Soothing, unobtrusive yet haunting. Sail away. Or 'Sadeness pt2' by Enigma.
I see.Unfortunately I think that both of those choices fall into your utter d-s catagory :lol: and I'm sure many younger than me would too :wink:
Probably why so many hang up when they hear 'Greensleeves' or similar when on hold.Now if they did 'Trance' versions of your choices I'm sure many under 30s would be happy enough.It certainly worked for William Orbit when he covered Barbers adagio :wink:
That's the thing with music.You can't please everyone.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Crikey, I want to learn how to fix my bike, not hang myself!