My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Re: My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

Post by horizon »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 6:52am That's the thing with music.You can't please everyone.
I may be asking too much of the technology to suggest we have a choice but my mind is thinking about selecting ring tones and the like - we do have more choice nowadays. But like the TV with 200 channels but no way to turn the music off (same problem), we seem to have run into the sand in certain areas.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Nirvana - Nevermind - would be nice and soothing.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

How appropriate, International Noise Awareness Day is on 28.4
Noise causes health problems costing vast sums of money

Mind, the muzak cacophony at one food store saves me cash, instead of loitering and buying more I get the minimum I need and scarper pronto :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Or Metallica - nothing else matters - a placid ballad.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Sometimes I just go into elevators to chill out!
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

markjohnobrien wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 9:02pm Or Metallica - nothing else matters - a placid ballad.
Can't beat a bit of soft rock 8)
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:03pm
markjohnobrien wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 9:02pm Or Metallica - nothing else matters - a placid ballad.
Sandstone?
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 6:57pm
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 12:03pm
Sandstone?
Rock from Skegness.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ANTONISH wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:53am Music played as a background during speech is IMO a modern curse.
Can’t say for sure, but it is certainly *much* easier to add background *anything* to a video now than it was when I was in school (cutting up reels of audio tape to edit a soundtrack).
It may be due to youth - young people appear to be able to study with a lot of background music.
That’s very much more likely more to do with age, and in particular age related hearing loss - it’s usually first noticed as background noise making things harder.

As someone who has quite moderate-severe hearing loss bilaterally ... it irritates me no end, although not nearly as much as places that don’t provide subtitles (looking at you work conference last week, despite me explicitly asking for them *last* year).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nez

Post by nez »

horizon wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 7:53pm I've sent a message to Park Tools, though it might as well be sent to 90% of all the people who have ever uploaded a video to You Tube. I think it is very sad; their videos are IMV first class and simply to make them unwatchable with the unnecessary music is a crime against cycling. here is the text of the message:

I love your videos - first class! (And I have several of your tools!) BUT ... I have had to switch off the sound and use the subtitles. Why? Because it is impossible to listen with the (totally unnecessary) music. Your videos are technically brilliant and well-presented but they concern safety and practical information. Would a teacher allow music like that in the classroom? I think not. Reading the subtitles while watching what is going on on the screen makes it more difficult to follow and understand the points being demonstrated.
So my request to you is either to stop the music, or (and this is my suggestion) upload two versions of the same video - one with music, one without. Would you consider this?
Looking forward to your reply.

I'm expecting a reply (they are a good company) but not holding my breath for a solution.
First class. I thought I was the only old buffer who hates it. Next cycling racing commentary without the gratuitous info. Just the cyclists, just the race please. Don't try to be friends with me through the telly
Red Kite

Post by Red Kite »

Had any thought at all been given to whether music was necessary to a simple information video, there would be none because it clearly isn't.

Absence of unnecessary racket is the only failsafe choice and would annoy nobody.

Perhaps if a tool were going to slip and amputate the presenter's thumb, then a bit of dramatic music to build the tension might add something, otherwise - can it.
Cube Touring Hybrid One e-bike, Brompton P6R with Swytch conversion
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

horizon wrote:
Ride-sleep-repeat wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 6:52am That's the thing with music.You can't please everyone.
I may be asking too much of the technology to suggest we have a choice but my mind is thinking about selecting ring tones and the like - we do have more choice nowadays. But like the TV with 200 channels but no way to turn the music off (same problem), we seem to have run into the sand in certain areas.
There's a move towards sending the audio as objects which are rendered in the home allowing the render to:
Match your actual speaker set up, not a generic ideal, and have separate mixes for headphones.
Take in to account personal preferences, like background music level.

It's starting to be seen on internet services.

A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”