My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

Post by horizon »

I've sent a message to Park Tools, though it might as well be sent to 90% of all the people who have ever uploaded a video to You Tube. I think it is very sad; their videos are IMV first class and simply to make them unwatchable with the unnecessary music is a crime against cycling. here is the text of the message:

I love your videos - first class! (And I have several of your tools!) BUT ... I have had to switch off the sound and use the subtitles. Why? Because it is impossible to listen with the (totally unnecessary) music. Your videos are technically brilliant and well-presented but they concern safety and practical information. Would a teacher allow music like that in the classroom? I think not. Reading the subtitles while watching what is going on on the screen makes it more difficult to follow and understand the points being demonstrated.
So my request to you is either to stop the music, or (and this is my suggestion) upload two versions of the same video - one with music, one without. Would you consider this?
Looking forward to your reply.

I'm expecting a reply (they are a good company) but not holding my breath for a solution.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Jdsk

Re: My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

Post by Jdsk »

I'll go and look at their channel, but this is a terrible problem on many other YouTube videos.

And I like your proposed solution.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Data is cheap, I really really hate background music too, is it played when a professor is delivering her wisdom? No! Surely a second version without music could be made available, might be interesting to see how few chose the musical version
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Yeah. But I expect Park Tool have proper subtitles, rather than the terrible automatic captions on some videos.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

An excellent idea, Horizon.

I suggest another solution. Have a little icon in a corner of the screen that turns ON the music if the viewer so desires. ie. No music is the default setting.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:00pm Yeah. But I expect Park Tool have proper subtitles, rather than the terrible automatic captions on some videos.
Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

The music does actually stop at some point (quite a relief!). But then the sound of the derailleur is actually important too, as the man explains! I don't know if the subtitles are theirs or not, but they are good. The problem of course is that if you read the subtitles, you are going to miss seeing what he does, which makes the whole point of the video a bit pointless. I suppose my objection is partly valid, partly pure irritation.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It wouldn't be so bad if 95% of the music in bike mechanics videos wasn't such utter dog sh*t! Maybe as a compromise we could suggest that the friendly moustachioed park dude sings his instructions. That would be fantastic.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Is the music perhaps suitable for and welcomed by a younger audience than the likes of the us? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The videos were alright when Calvin was on his own.
I don't watch them anymore, 'Free to Cycle' is a better channel to subscribe to on YouTube than listening to those tiresome American accents.
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:16pm Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY
The music does actually stop at some point (quite a relief!).
That some point is about 2 min into a 16 min video, at about the same time the important instructions start. I like Park Tool's videos I clicked the link because despite having watched a few, I'd never noticed any music.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

horizon wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 7:53pm I've sent a message to Park Tools, though it might as well be sent to 90% of all the people who have ever uploaded a video to You Tube. I think it is very sad; their videos are IMV first class and simply to make them unwatchable with the unnecessary music is a crime against cycling. here is the text of the message:

I love your videos - first class! (And I have several of your tools!) BUT ... I have had to switch off the sound and use the subtitles. Why? Because it is impossible to listen with the (totally unnecessary) music. Your videos are technically brilliant and well-presented but they concern safety and practical information. Would a teacher allow music like that in the classroom? I think not. Reading the subtitles while watching what is going on on the screen makes it more difficult to follow and understand the points being demonstrated.
So my request to you is either to stop the music, or (and this is my suggestion) upload two versions of the same video - one with music, one without. Would you consider this?
Looking forward to your reply.

I'm expecting a reply (they are a good company) but not holding my breath for a solution.
Park Tools has sent you a message back. Message reads:

"What? I can't hear you! Speak up!"

;-)
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 11:55pm
horizon wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:16pm Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY
The music does actually stop at some point (quite a relief!).
That some point is about 2 min into a 16 min video, at about the same time the important instructions start. I like Park Tool's videos I clicked the link because despite having watched a few, I'd never noticed any music.
This one has music the whole way through:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFOng1UXn-g

I suppose the extent to which it bothers one is a personal thing. I'm still don't know why the music is put on and I have never heard of someone complaining that they cannot watch a maintenance video without music. I'm expecting that if Park Tools do reply, it will be along the lines of, "You are the first to complain and most of our customers enjoy the experience...". Ho hum.
Cyclewala

Post by Cyclewala »

Until this thread, I'd never noticed the music. After reading this thread, I looked at a couple of videos and yes, I can hear the music. But it's very much in the background and doesn't detract from the information given.

I'm just glad they've gone to the trouble of creating very informative videos. The music is a non issue.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

+1 never noticed music was there I’ve never found it intrusive. The Ytube automatic captions are fun though "wheelchewing" :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Music played as a background during speech is IMO a modern curse.
I will turn off an otherwise interesting radio or TV programme because I can't tolerate the intrusive sound.
I've heard this explained by BBC producers as "sound bedding" - the content becomes secondary to the combined sound which apparently the progamme producers enjoy - the listeners preferences are secondary to that enjoyment.
It's rare that I get to listen to speech without the tinkle of a piano or the scrape of a violin.

It may be due to youth - young people appear to be able to study with a lot of background music.