My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
horizon

Re: My message to Park Tools regarding their music videos

Post by horizon »

Cyclewala wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 7:42am I'm just glad they've gone to the trouble of creating very informative videos. .
That's actually the problem - they really are good videos (IMV amongst the best). I really like the imposition of graphics onto the screen. So I'm not going to click away to something else without some perseverance.
The music is a non issue
I get the strong impression that for many (most?) people it isn't an issue (though you haven't said whether you need/want the music). Unfortunately, you can't switch it off for the reasons I explained in my message to Park Tools. And I'm still not sure why they have it.

Just to say by the way that I chose Park Tools to write to as they come across as a responsible company and a video uploader who had of course a proper contact address. It is something of a compliment to them that I picked them out.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jb

Post by jb »

When I used to teach apprentices it seemed they couldn't function without the radio blasting out. The music was usually fairly awful but the commercials were a torturous horror.
My area became known as the 'room of gloom' because I told them they couldn't concentrate on the task with that crap blasting out.
Then their mobile would go off.....

I used to ask them if the next time they were jetting of to 'planet posing beach' to look at the engines on the plane and ask themselves if they would like to think that the guy who last built them up was more interested in the radio than his work.
Cheers
J Bro
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

horizon wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:35am And I'm still not sure why they have it.
Because:
jb wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:48am When I used to teach apprentices it seemed they couldn't function without the radio blasting out.
Some people cannot work with distractions. Some people cannot work with lack of stimulation.

Also, of course, they have it because of fashion.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 2:17pm
horizon wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:35am And I'm still not sure why they have it.
Because:
jb wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 11:48am When I used to teach apprentices it seemed they couldn't function without the radio blasting out.
Some people cannot work with distractions. Some people cannot work with lack of stimulation.

Also, of course, they have it because of fashion.
I do not like noise, but most of all I hate loud noise.
I cannot stand music at the volume which seems obligatory at popular music concerts, music which you can feel in your innards.
I am undoubtedly an old fogey now, but even when young I felt like this.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

gregoryoftours wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:20pm It wouldn't be so bad if 95% of the music in bike mechanics videos wasn't such utter dog sh*t!
In your opinion!Someone else will like what you consider to be utter dog sh*t!
I like background music in tutorial videos.I don't find it intrusive or distracting at all so it's not just a 'young' persons thing.I like loud(ish) music at work,when driving,when working on my bike,cleaning the car etc,etc.I don't listen to it when riding because I hate music through headphones.

I suspect it's down to personal choice.If I don't like a particular song I either change the station or just ignore it!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Anyone who likes background music can add it themselves. Those who do not like it have nowhere to go. In the digital age there is no excuse for compulsory music

It is particularly bad on some radio programmes on the station we love to hate, radio 4, I thought that was aimed at older serious people like me :?

I quite like music actually, as long as no-one is talking when I am trying to listen to it
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Drone camera videos are always really bad for this. I am informed that Linux shell programming videos are the very worst, either because Linux users have lamentable musical taste, or because you are trying to concentrate on some fiddly bit of script.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

ANTONISH wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 10:53am Music played as a background during speech is IMO a modern curse.
Not read the rest of this thread, but I won't bother as you've summed it up.

End of.
Mick F. Cornwall
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Post by Scottish.cyclist.lad »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:30pm Is the music perhaps suitable for and welcomed by a younger audience than the likes of the us? :wink:
This.

I like the music and I find parktools' videos quite well done.

If old timers can's stand the music, here's an idea: a youtube channel about bike maintenance made for old folks, by old folks. No music and words printed in big letters on the screen :lol:
horizon

Post by horizon »

Scottish.cyclist.lad wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:27pm
Cyril Haearn wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 9:30pm Is the music perhaps suitable for and welcomed by a younger audience than the likes of the us? :wink:
This.

If old timers can's stand the music, here's an idea: a youtube channel about bike maintenance made for old folks, by old folks. No music and words printed in big letters on the screen :lol:
I think that's a bit unfair. What we are talking about here are exceptionally good instructional videos, spoiled for some by the IMV unnecessary background music. I might ask Park Tools if they have an "age" policy. What we "oldies" are a bit incredulous about is why the youngsters haven't worked out a way to switch the music off if you don't want it. After all, it isn't rocket science (or should that be mechanical engineering?).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jb

Post by jb »

As copyright laws will stop them playing anything decent I think they are somewhat limited to the bottom of the barrel anyway.
Cheers
J Bro
Scottish.cyclist.lad

horizon wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:47pm
This.

I think that's a bit unfair. What we are talking about here are exceptionally good instructional videos, spoiled for some by the IMV unnecessary background music. I might ask Park Tools if they have an "age" policy. What we "oldies" are a bit incredulous about is why the youngsters haven't worked out a way to switch the music off if you don't want it. After all, it isn't rocket science (or should that be mechanical engineering?).
Just like you think music spoils the videos, I'm sure there are just as many people (me, for example) who like the music and think it makes the videos better and more entertaining.
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Scottish.cyclist.lad wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 4:01pm
horizon wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 3:47pm

This.

Just like you think music spoils the videos, I'm sure there are just as many people (me, for example) who like the music and think it makes the videos better and more entertaining.
+1 and I'm no spring chicken!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Scottish.cyclist.lad wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 4:01pmJust like you think music spoils the videos, I'm sure there are just as many people (me, for example) who like the music and think it makes the videos better and more entertaining.
And having it playing would be possible with the OP's suggestion of two versions:
horizon wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 7:53pmSo my request to you is either to stop the music, or (and this is my suggestion) upload two versions of the same video - one with music, one without.
Jonathan
Scottish.cyclist.lad

or, as I suggested, park tools does absolutely nothing and the oldies come up with their options. plenty of time in their hands by the way