London Secondhand buying advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
mikeymo

Re: London Secondhand buying advice

Post by mikeymo »

If you're buying a secondhand London make sure it's got a complete service record.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

mikeymo wrote: 1 May 2021, 9:57am If you're buying a secondhand London make sure it's got a complete service record.
Really? Bikes aren’t cars.

I’ve bought lots of bikes over the years (many in London) and all have been in very good to excellent condition, and some superb and NOS, and all from dedicated owners, but none have had evidence of servicing or service records. None of the bikes have had any problems.

It’s relevant for cars but not bikes. If I was selling a bike and someone asked for a “complete service record” I’d be utterly perplexed and wouldn’t see it as relevant.

If I took the view that I wouldn’t buy a bike without a complete service record, that would restrict the market enormously and I wouldn’t have bought any of my bikes

All of my bikes are maintained but they don’t go in for annual services with the records filed in an archive.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Jgibbons

Post by Jgibbons »

Hello,

So after looking at all the advice and searching gumtree et al for over a week, I have ended up buying a Jamis Beatnik.

Here is a link
https://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/urban- ... e/beatnik/

Got it for £80 with some spare inner tubes and a small pump. Nice guy. It is a basic single speed, steel frame. Rides well enough and in good condition. As you can see from the pictures needs a bit of a clean and the chain is a little rusty. I will be changing that, or might stick it in a vinegar bath to take rust off first and see if it is still good.
Attachments
IMG_20210503_203102.jpg
83554.jpg
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Clarks Anti Rust 7, 8 Bike speed Chain or similar cut to length for reliability and service it and you should be good to go.
Grease and wet lube is cheap