Recycling Inner Tubes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Recycling tyres and tubes.

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The best patch for an inner tube, is a bit of old inner tube, the best patch for a tyre, is a bit of old inner tube. A really good way of increasing the comfort of bar tape, is to put a bit of old inner tube on the bars,before wrapping them. There are lots of useful things you can do with a knackered old inner tube.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I have used tyre pieces to do partial resoling of worn skate shoes, with the right glue. As tyres are more grippier than shoe soles I thought about totally covering skate shoe soles with pieces of tyre. I have used an inner tube to wrap some handlebars that were cheap but very bright green. I have used inner tube pieces to protect frame paint from brackets or to pad out handlebar for front light brackets.
I saw a Grand Designs episode last night, Brittany 2009, where a couple were building a house with used tyres as a big part of it, they were saying there are strict environmental rules about old tyres, I think they were not allowed to build it in the UK if I remember right, it was after 3am and I was tired (tyred!).
Godzy89

Post by Godzy89 »

A mate of mine tried out making mens belts from old tryres
They were pretty good and were a novel way of upcycling (no pun intended 🙂)
Put them on ebay and didnt sell a single 1 !
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

IMG_1109.JPG
I was pleased to see this sign outside the Green Finch Cafe at Conder Green this morning. I was a little surprised taking a look at the Velorim website to see that on the 'find your nearest collection point' page it's described as being 3.5 miles from my address by car.
nickp

Post by nickp »

Tim at Berwick Cycles in, er, Berwick, has the deal going with Velorim. 20 pence per tube and they get to Velorim for recycling. I dropped a pile of worn out outers, inners with ripped valves and assorted wheelbarrow tubes on him. A couple of quid and no landfill or incineration. Plus you catch up with the LBS gossip!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I made a belt out of an old tube. Worked well. May do another more finessed. I expected the hole for the buckle prong to start to go but it's held up very well.
Somewhere on the web there are instructions for making a flogger out of old tubes if you are into that sort of thing. Suppose you could use old tyres if particularly cruel.
Sweep
Lookrider

Post by Lookrider »

Sine good ideas to recycle/reuse
I will definitely be double wrapping bar tape with old inners now that I am aware of it
Cardboard bike boxes are really good for floor covering whilst decorating
No more triping over dust sheets
They fold out really big
Thick enough to protect surfaces
Soak up any spillage
I mentioned this too a neighbour's who was decorating and he said it was ideal
Bullseye

Post by Bullseye »

I always repair and reuse my tubes it's common sense IMO. I love the fact there's so many uses for discarded tubes you can even hang your bike up in the shed by wrapping the tube under the seat and attach to a hanger.
I lost the watch strap band on my fit bit, no problem cut some tube and fitted that. Don't throw them away you'll find a use for them. :D
VinceLedge

Recycling Inner Tubes

Post by VinceLedge »

Just visited Decathlon and noticed they have a bin at the front of the shop for recycling innertubes. I will try and remember to take my knackered ones there next time I visit.
Jdsk

Re: Recycling Inner Tubes

Post by Jdsk »

"Recycling tyres and tubes":
viewtopic.php?t=145464

Jonathan
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Mine get re-used in a variety of ways - garden ties, wrapped around cheap metal brackets to protect whats hanging on them, wrapped around bits of bike frames as padding protection during transport and so on. Can't generate enough scrap tubes for the uses I have for them these days due to improved P*******re protection from tyres!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Near me, there's a soggy place where lots of willow grows and the folks wot harvest them and turn them into cricket bats-or-some-such, bundle them together with strips cut from inner tubes... they work well, they being sort of self-tightening.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Hello, all: use them for Tree Ties in this garden. Never seem to have one when I want one nowadays even when the hedges are being slashed by cheery local tractor drivers who leave devastation in their wake regardless of other pesky locals. But there's another thread that I believe has been done.
Tim