COVID; Can we now go to the Dales, Wolds, Lakes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pendodave

Re: COVID; Can we now go to the Dales, Wolds, Lakes?

Post by Pendodave »

Was on the 0810 Euston to Glasgow this morning...
Fantastic cycle from Dunoon round to Kames, followed by a pretty decent meal in an actual restaurant.
My straw poll of one revealed that the Scottish hospitality sector is delighted to welcome us.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Jamesh wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:14pm I've done 50 miles away from homes to Hawes without any difficulties.

Wakes / Scotland I'd perhaps be more circumspect, but have no reason to visit them ATM.

Cheers James
Hawes would almost certainly be on any route I'd take, so sounds good. Would give both Wales & Scotland a miss at present (Nb. 3.75 Hr's at the gym again today, trying to recover from the health effects of lockdown. Suppose one person in town got covid, though it was only by accident he found out he'd had it
leftpoole

Post by leftpoole »

I hope that the following is of assistance?

Holidays in England are allowed from 12th April.

There are two opening dates for the camping, glamping and caravan sector: most campsites will be opening on the later date, 17th May, because shared shower blocks are provided.

The above is copied from 'Pitchup' a very good source of information for Campers in UK.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

leftpoole wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 8:57am I hope that the following is of assistance?

Holidays in England are allowed from 12th April.

There are two opening dates for the camping, glamping and caravan sector: most campsites will be opening on the later date, 17th May, because shared shower blocks are provided.

The above is copied from 'Pitchup' a very good source of information for Campers in UK.
This hasn't been my somewhat limited experience. I have been looking at (and sometimes booking and once using) 7 or 8 campsites and all are open as from the April date.

Some insist on motorhomes or caravans because they are deemed to be self contained, but I have friends who have toilet tents and are effectively self contained. Some of the campsites don't say no tents.

The whole idea of 'shared' facilities is a bit debatable. A shower or toilet with outside access could be called shared if used by different people over the day, but assuming you go in on your own, it's not shared. When camping last weekend, I used a toilet that was used by others, but I never shared it with them - or did I.

When touring in New Zealand, I stayed one night on a nudist campsite (optional). They had communal mixed showers - that's what I call shared!
PH

Post by PH »

simonhill wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 10:44am The whole idea of 'shared' facilities is a bit debatable. A shower or toilet with outside access could be called shared if used by different people over the day, but assuming you go in on your own, it's not shared. When camping last weekend, I used a toilet that was used by others, but I never shared it with them - or did I.
The Government guidance in the link posted by Vorpal yesterday, distinguishes between toilets and shower facilities. Toilets are permitted to be open, even those considered shared facilities, with the recommended social distancing and cleaning programs. Showers are to be considered private, so one user/family/bubble at a time with a clean in between.
I have a campsite booked for next week, the toilets will be open but not the showers.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for mentioning/reminding me of that link. I'll keep it in case I need to discuss it with a campsite.

Surely no reason for showers not being open apart from the campsite not wanting to manage it, ie control access and regular cleaning.

Some of the campsites I've looked at have closed some/all of the facilities as an easy way out, with no reduced price.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I've been staying in campsites for the last two weeks (with a campervan) and cycling nearly every day - West Midlands, Peak District, Cumberland / Yorkshire borders.
It rained for the first time yesterday - and I then realised the only drawback of riding under current Covid rules: if you get cold and wet, you can't just head for the nearest town and pop into a nice warm cafe or pub to dry off!
Chris F, Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

ChrisF wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:35pm I've been staying in campsites for the last two weeks (with a campervan) and cycling nearly every day - West Midlands, Peak District, Cumberland / Yorkshire borders.
It rained for the first time yesterday - and I then realised the only drawback of riding under current Covid rules: if you get cold and wet, you can't just head for the nearest town and pop into a nice warm cafe or pub to dry off!
One reason we were put off cycling in the first couple of months of the year, a flask while sweaty and going cold taken in a park / viewpoint wasn't exactly the most attractive idea...
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

eileithyia wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 11:33am
ChrisF wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:35pm I've been staying in campsites for the last two weeks (with a campervan) and cycling nearly every day - West Midlands, Peak District, Cumberland / Yorkshire borders.
One reason we were put off cycling in the first couple of months of the year, a flask while sweaty and going cold taken in a park / viewpoint wasn't exactly the most attractive idea...
It didn't so much put me off, rather i started taking a much keener interest in the weather forecast! In short, if it was likely to be wet i stayed at home and went out another day. I'm slightly more likely to go out with a wet forecast now as at least buying a cuppa is easier now! Looking forward to being able to sit in and eat food - bit fed up with sandwiches now :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Something to be aware of in the Lake District, a post from the Thorn Forum.
Four well locked bikes stolen from a campsite at Pooley Bridge last weekend, using a van with cloned plates, so an organised theft.
Maybe keep eyes open for the poster's bike as well.
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=14184.0
Nu-Fogey
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Many of the Dales villages are still fairly closed so be prepared to be self contained. Not even many places doing take away. Signs seem to suggest mid May opening plans.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Small villages are closed but the larger ones settle, grassington, hawes, patley bridge etc are very much open.

I'm mostly self contained and use the bigger villages for lunch etc.

Cheers James
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

geocycle wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 6:12pm s seem to suggest mid May opening plans.
Thanks, I'd be looking no earlier than 17th May (Nb. Whilst unlikely to use campsites, somehow I'd prefer to leave it until they're open). Though good to know Hawes, Pately Bridge are already open.

Have to admit I'll probably wait until my 2nd vacinne innoculation, prior to travel. A nuisance, but substantially less risk
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I’ve been away this week in the Campervan. Campsites are very much open, many are full, especially at weekends. Toilets and washrooms are open (though every other one is closed off to avoid close contact), but showers are are not available. I find this a bit strange - you can sit on a loo that’s recently been used by someone else, but you can’t use a shower that going to wash any traces of the virus away down the drain.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

TrevA wrote: 7 May 2021, 7:29pm I’ve been away this week in the Campervan. Campsites are very much open, many are full, especially at weekends. Toilets and washrooms are open (though every other one is closed off to avoid close contact), but showers are are not available. I find this a bit strange - you can sit on a loo that’s recently been used by someone else, but you can’t use a shower that going to wash any traces of the virus away down the drain.
I guess it’s about the extra cleaning. Many sites have limited staff and possibly assume that, if they have to make a choice, the most important place to keep clean and open is the toilets
John