COVID; Can we now go to the Dales, Wolds, Lakes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gbnz

COVID; Can we now go to the Dales, Wolds, Lakes?

Post by gbnz »

Anyone know whether we can now "legally" head off cycling?

Have to admit I'm a bit bemused; having always taken the pragmatic approach that cycling and/or walking locally in empty countryside risks neither myself nor anyone else , I now find that the locals who've hidden away are back to normal routine. So I now find myself a bit concerned about walking into town, due to crowds of people hanging around, never mind travelling on a bus (Buses had been empty throughout, they're now busy).

So are long weekends cycling down to the Dales, over to the Lakes now legally OK?
leftpoole

Re: COVID; Can we now go to the Dales, Wolds, Lakes?

Post by leftpoole »

gbnz wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:03am Anyone know whether we can now "legally" head off cycling?

Have to admit I'm a bit bemused; having always taken the pragmatic approach that cycling and/or walking locally in empty countryside risks neither myself nor anyone else , I now find that the locals who've hidden away are back to normal routine. So I now find myself a bit concerned about walking into town, due to crowds of people hanging around, never mind travelling on a bus (Buses had been empty throughout, they're now busy).

So are long weekends cycling down to the Dales, over to the Lakes now legally OK?
Responsible. Educated. Cyclists?
Heading out as above-into-Countryside is usually an excellent thing. BUT-NOTE- Pandemic-full Hospitals-no beds-have an accident on bicycle or fall. Where oh where does common sense go?
Put Paramedics at risk-put others-at risk.
Rules are there for a reason and the reason is NOT to be broken. I sometimes despair, in fact I often despair.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Had to check the date on this.

Yes you can go out, yes you can stay overnight with restrictions. Holiday accommodation is open so are campsites, but check what facilities are available.

As to not cycling as it may impact on hospitals, I despair.

I've just had a weekend away, albeit in my campervan, but the activity was pure cycling. Great to be out in the countryside.

Go and enjoy.
Cyril Haearn

Re: COVID; May we now legally go to the Dales, Wolds, Lakes?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Can' or 'may'?
The Grauniad published an article about Unknown Places in the national parks, they are no longer unknown, -1

Apparently 600 000 people conquer Yr Wyddfa each year, I shall not be going there :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonhill wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:38am Had to check the date on this.

Yes you can go out, yes you can stay overnight with restrictions. Holiday accommodation is open so are campsites, but check what facilities are available.

I've just had a weekend away, albeit in my campervan, but the activity was pure cycling. Great to be out in the countryside.

Go and enjoy.
Well said.

"As to not cycling as it may impact on hospitals, I despair" - yeah, that advice was quite common (although I never agreed with it) in Apr 2020, but April 2021??
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to stay near home for a while yet, to avoid crowds and hysteria
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Public toilets are more likely to be closed due to council spending cuts than Covid, most that i know of on my travels have been open all through the latest round of restrictions. Toilets in shops etc are another matter, they are open in the Morrisons near me but not the Lidl although another Lidl a couple of miles away they are open - pretty sure the now reopened PH's will have open toilets as will cafes/restaurants when they open indoor seating in a short while.

From where i am currently its Wales that's a bit of a grey area, i'd quite like to do some riding in Mons and across to the valleys but am i allowed?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

foxyrider wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 10:56am
Public toilets are more likely to be closed due to council spending cuts than Covid, most that i know of on my travels have been open all through the latest round of restrictions. Toilets in shops etc are another matter, they are open in the Morrisons near me but not the Lidl although another Lidl a couple of miles away they are open - pretty sure the now reopened PH's will have open toilets as will cafes/restaurants when they open indoor seating in a short while.

From where i am currently its Wales that's a bit of a grey area, i'd quite like to do some riding in Mons and across to the valleys but am i allowed?
Your toilet experience matches mine (several counties south of you).

As for Wales ... I havent' studied the Welsh regs, so this is just opinion: based on lots of honest friends/associates activities, yes you can cross the border now and ride your bike. Some accomodation is fine; if I had to guess, it's also self-contained only at the moment. But read the legislation correctly :P
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

https://coolcamping.com/news/295-corona ... or-campers

seems to have reasonable information.
coolcamping wrote:As of 12th April, many campsites in the UK are now permitted to open for bookings by single households (or support bubbles). Self-contained holiday accommodation is now open. So, too, are campsites, provided that the only shared facilities used by guests at the campsite or caravan park are washing facilities, toilets, water points and waste disposal points. While shared public toilets can open since 12 April, showers must be either private or reserved by each household and then cleaned.
The detail is https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-saf ... ommodation under 'managing your facility'.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

leftpoole wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:08am
gbnz wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:03am Anyone know whether we can now "legally" head off cycling?

Responsible. Educated. Cyclists?
Heading out as above-into-Countryside is usually an excellent thing. BUT-NOTE- Pandemic-full Hospitals-no beds-have an accident on bicycle or fall. Where oh where does common sense go?
Put Paramedics at risk-put others-at risk.
Rules are there for a reason and the reason is NOT to be broken. I sometimes despair, in fact I often despair.
Are the hospitals still full of pandemic cases?

Here are the up to date stats for Wales:

https://statswales.gov.wales/Catalogue/ ... y-date-use
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Vorpal wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 12:56pm https://coolcamping.com/news/295-corona ... or-campers

seems to have reasonable information.
coolcamping wrote:As of 12th April, many campsites in the UK are now permitted to open for bookings by single households (or support bubbles). Self-contained holiday accommodation is now open. So, too, are campsites, provided that the only shared facilities used by guests at the campsite or caravan park are washing facilities, toilets, water points and waste disposal points. While shared public toilets can open since 12 April, showers must be either private or reserved by each household and then cleaned.
The detail is https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-saf ... ommodation under 'managing your facility'.
Some good links there, thanks; but note it appears to be all GUIDANCE. Hence phrases like:
For accommodation with shared facilities, consider introducing a system of staggered entry and booked timeslots for using shower facilities.
and "should" at the start of most paragraphs (not MUST).

I'm camping this Labour Day weekend, so will try to report back (on 1 of the many related threads). Solo, so any lack of hygiene won't be a disaster :P
mjr

Post by mjr »

gbnz wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:03am Anyone know whether we can now "legally" head off cycling? [...]
Legally OK, but there are plenty of demotivational signs along major roads saying things like "minimise travel". It's a bit like those weeks just before lockdown where gov.uk were telling people not to do things but refusing to order businesses to close, probably pushing many into collapse.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Traction_man

Post by Traction_man »

simonhill wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 8:38am Had to check the date on this.

Go and enjoy.
yep, thankfully we're seeing opening up of travel within and between the GB 'nations within the nation', though not across the Irish Sea as yet--some useful summary inf on the latest is here--https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-52530518

relevant inf extracted as follows:

Scotland:

"You can travel anywhere within Scotland (but not stay away overnight) and mix outdoors with six people (not counting children under 12) from up to six households

You can travel between Scotland, England and Wales

You are allowed to travel between Scotland and Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands - but you should check rules for entering those areas

Wales:

Holiday in self-contained accommodation with your household or support bubble - including hotels with en-suite facilities.

Travel in and out of Wales from other parts of the UK

England:

Holidays in England in self-contained accommodation by members of the same household allowed

Non-essential journeys between England and Wales allowed"

cheers,

Keith
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Thanks for the replies. Have to admit that other than a visit to a local town, have only had two afternoons out of the area in thirteen months(Nb. Even 70-80 mile rides have more by chance than design, been circular in nature, never more than 25 miles away from home.

Can't see myself using a campsite due to the typical £16-18 a night cost, but plenty of isolated spots are available just out of the National Parks for wild camping.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I've done 50 miles away from homes to Hawes without any difficulties.

Wakes / Scotland I'd perhaps be more circumspect, but have no reason to visit them ATM.

Cheers James