BMC vs Giant

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Scottish.cyclist.lad

BMC vs Giant

Post by Scottish.cyclist.lad »

I recently got a bike fit done on one of those stationary bikes where you can tweak pretty much everything in order to replicate the geometry of any bikes. Very fun and educational experience.

Anyhow, given my body and my cycling objectives, I got given a number of road bikes that would fit the bill, and the 2 that made it to the final stage are:

1) Giant TCR Advanced 2 Disc
2) BMC Roadmachine Four

They both look spectacular, they are similarly specced, the main difference is the TCR comes with a 52-36 at the front, while the BMC comes with a 50-34.

Here's the situation: the TCR is available now to a nearby lbs and is a bit cheaper. The BMC is more expensive and is out of stock (waiting from a stockist to understand how long it might be before he gets his hands on one of them...could be months). So everything would point towards the TCR.

Does any of you gentlemen have any experience with either bike? Anything that would make me reconsider my choice and wait longer to get my hands on the swiss beauty instead?

As always, thanks :)
Paulatic

Re: BMC vs Giant

Post by Paulatic »

I certainly couldn’t even contemplate the Giant. 36x30 I’d have to do some walking :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Paulatic wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 2:23pm I certainly couldn’t even contemplate the Giant. 36x30 I’d have to do some walking :lol:
About 18 months ago I was contemplating a Giant Contend and that came with a 11-34T cassette, maybe the TCR comes with a wider range cassette or such a cassette could be fitted.

It should be pointed out that Giant are an actual manufacturer where as BMC is basically an importer than relies on other factories which may include Giant hence price wise they can never compete with Giant unless heavily discounted.

Might be worth comparing warranties too as Giant offer a lifetime warranty on frame and forks I believe which may be substantially better than BMC although haven't checked. Many of the European brands have more limited warranties as well as lower weight ratings.
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Paulatic wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 2:23pm I certainly couldn’t even contemplate the Giant. 36x30 I’d have to do some walking :lol:
Yes 11-30 sounds hard :D

I would most certainly swap to an 11-32 as a standard, with an 11-34 to be used for more hilly events
SIL4

Post by SIL4 »

I've owned several Giants (inc. Defy, TCR Composite 0) and have recently bought a Giant Contend AR 1 as a general all-rounder to replace a BMC Gran Fondo, which has been retired because of frame fatigue cracks.

It was great bike with some nice touches that was well looked after but also well used and, unfortunately, it was just outside of the 5 year warranty and BMC weren't much interested in my attempts to get it replaced, which was fair enough.

The fit and paint finish of the AR seems a little flakey (e.g. over-painted and bunged-up 'guard eyes, cable runs rubbing against the paintwork) compared to other Giants I've owned but it's otherwise sound and rides nicely. A good warranty helps.
emt15

Post by emt15 »

I have used Giant before so I would vote for that
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

The TCR has the heritage over the BMC. The first Giant TCR appeared in 1998 with the ONCE team. The current models are the latest greatest evolution of the Total Compact Road idea. The BMC isn’t a bad bike either, but the Giant would get my vote.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’d agree I think a Giant would give better value. Why have you ruled out the Defy as it comes with a compact and has similar angles and dimensions within millimetres.
I hope the choice isn’t just because the bike shop has a TCR they want rid of.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

emt15 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 4:22pm I have used Giant before so I would vote for that
+ 1. Haven't got the bike in question, but more than happy with the two Giants I've got
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Thanks all.

I've decided to go with the Giant. I was already leaning towards the TCR because of specs, price, heritage, warranty and availability.

Additionally, I've learnt today the BMC is not going to be available until at least December 2021 and it's not even 100% sure I'd get one.

This made my choice much much easier.
Scottish.cyclist.lad

Paulatic wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 4:38pm I’d agree I think a Giant would give better value. Why have you ruled out the Defy as it comes with a compact and has similar angles and dimensions within millimetres.
I hope the choice isn’t just because the bike shop has a TCR they want rid of.
Nah, the bike fitter said bikes like the defy would be "overly relaxed" and based on my body, flexibility and cycling objectives, there would be no need for me to get a super relaxed bike such as the defy (or the cannondale synapse...another we tried). I could get a good and comfy position on more aggressive bikes, hence the tcr.

Plus, the bike fit was done by an independent company so they're not suggesting a particular brand/model because they've got one kicking about.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

SIL4 wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 4:05pm I've owned several Giants (inc. Defy, TCR Composite 0) and have recently bought a Giant Contend AR 1 as a general all-rounder to replace a BMC Gran Fondo, which has been retired because of frame fatigue cracks.

It was great bike with some nice touches that was well looked after but also well used and, unfortunately, it was just outside of the 5 year warranty and BMC weren't much interested in my attempts to get it replaced, which was fair enough.

The fit and paint finish of the AR seems a little flakey (e.g. over-painted and bunged-up 'guard eyes, cable runs rubbing against the paintwork) compared to other Giants I've owned but it's otherwise sound and rides nicely. A good warranty helps.
Maybe the quality difference is the difference between the Taiwanese and mainland Chinese factories unless its one of the Giant bikes assembled in Europe, maybe they import bare frames from one of the Giant factories into Europe but still paint the frame there.

I've never actually seen a badly painted Giant frame and I've slobbered over quite a few. In contrast I think the Bicycle Manufacturing Company (which only makes a handful of CF frames with almost 100% of its bikes imported) has far more inconsistencies because they use multiple factories in Asia that varies by year and price point. Hence why they have to be more conservative with warranty and weight limits.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Scottish.cyclist.lad wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 1:14pm ... the TCR comes with a 52-36 at the front...
If it's not too late I would recommend a conversation with your bike shop to see if they are able to swap out the chainset for a compact version at the point of sale. Admittedly it was before Covid, but I had a chat with the Giant dealer near me and he was happy to do that at no extra cost. It didn't happen in the end, but FWIW a 52/36 chainset on a bike would be a deal breaker for me.
Scottish.cyclist.lad

keyboardmonkey wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 9:08pm
Scottish.cyclist.lad wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 1:14pm ... the TCR comes with a 52-36 at the front...
If it's not too late I would recommend a conversation with your bike shop to see if they are able to swap out the chainset for a compact version at the point of sale. Admittedly it was before Covid, but I had a chat with the Giant dealer near me and he was happy to do that at no extra cost. It didn't happen in the end, but FWIW a 52/36 chainset on a bike would be a deal breaker for me.
and why would I want to do that?
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Gear range. If however you need such . A 36 low isn't that high really, it's just higher than many people are used to if they are not super fit or don't want to push things.