Favourite old-school pedals

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Favourite old-school pedals

Post by andrew_s »

My favorite "ordinary shoe" pedals were the Shimano PD-T100, now virtually unobtainable.

Options:
  • Traditional flat pedals - any shoe or boot; foot can occasionally slip off pedal

MTB flat pedals with pins - any shoe or boot; foot won't slip off, but the pins can make a mess of the shoe sole, or your shin, should it make contact

Toe clips & straps - shoes should not be too bulky; foot won't slip off ; need to learn to pull the foot backwards to get out, and to flip the pedal to get in. ; most pedals use the normal two bolts for the toe clips, but some pedals don't have any, and a few are non-standard

MTB clipless - special shoes must have two bolt holes, to a standard pattern; need to twist the foot to get out, and to locate the cleat to get in ; fairly normal to walk in;

Road clipless - special shoes with (usually) 3 bolt holes to a standard pattern; need to twist the foot to get out, and to locate the cleat to get in ; difficult to walk in

Hybrid flat/MTB clipless - the pedal is flat on one side for normal shoes, and MTB clips for the special shoes on the other. Usually weighted so the pedal hangs vertically, meaning that the clip side is accessed by moving the foot onto the pedal from the rear, and the flat side is accessed by drawing the foot back onto the pedal
For clipless, there are various pedal/cleat systems, but generally you get the cleats with the pedals, and only need to buy wear & tear replacements, or cleats for a second pair of shoes. Road cleats are frequently plastic, and wear much quicker than the normal metal MTB cleats.

For traditional flat pedals, there are also Power Grips, which are straps between the rear inside and front outside corners of the pedal. The foot slides in with the toe angled inwards, and the strap tightens as the foot is straightened.

Cheap shoes for MTB clipless are usually fairly flexible, which makes walking easier, but the typically small pedals can become uncomfortable on a long ride. Adequately stiff shoes are common enough, but usually aren't at the bottom of the price range
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I'm another fan of Lyotard Bertthet platform pedals. But I do have some VP alloy ones and several plastic platform pedals. The latter have the advantage of adjustable toe clips (for length).
You can have a pair of the plastic ones if you want? The Lyotard Berthet will cost you though.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Those Shimano PD-T100 do look nice - wonder why they're hard to get? EDIT (well, apart from the obvious reason that no-one buys them anymore, that is !)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Does anyone have any experience of Power Grips, as an alternative to clips&straps and clipless pedals?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There's quite a lot in the archives:

search.php?keywords=%22power+grips%22

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cheers :-) I think I'll give the Power Cords a go, as they sound exactly like what I'd like - ie a good clamp on a platform pedal, without the inconveniences of special shoes.
S