hope hub

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cyclop

hope hub

Post by cyclop »

My Hope hub,13 yrs old,became very stiff and,upon dissembly,one of the three cartridge bearings was shot which I duly replaced.The hub felt smooth but on tightening the QR it stiffened up.I,m guessing I should replace the other two bearings,yes?
mattsccm

Re: hope hub

Post by mattsccm »

Seems a bit pointless doing just one. If that is rough the others will be although often one goes before the others.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Several threads at the moment on this subject.
Basically, you tighten the Q/R which compresses the axle. Everything else being equal, this puts a side load on the bearings (whether cassette bearings or loose ball) and an excessive pre-load on the bearings.
However, its possible that your Hope hub has something in the design which prevents axle compression exerting excessive pre-load on the bearings and some slight mis-assembly has prevented this working. ....eg the bearing you replaced not being fully pressed home, or slightly different spec. from the original bearing.
[viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145508][/url]
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145173
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Bearing correct,missassembly-possible seeing as I just whacked it in with a socket :roll:
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

531colin wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 10:43am Several threads at the moment on this subject.
Basically, you tighten the Q/R which compresses the axle. Everything else being equal, this puts a side load on the bearings (whether cassette bearings or loose ball) and an excessive pre-load on the bearings.
However, its possible that your Hope hub has something in the design which prevents axle compression exerting excessive pre-load on the bearings and some slight mis-assembly has prevented this working. ....eg the bearing you replaced not being fully pressed home, or slightly different spec. from the original bearing.
[viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145508][/url]
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=145173
Took the hub apart again,reassembled,making sure all bearings were firmly driven home and bingo,it,s smooth again,cheers.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Result!