Kielder Water circuit surface?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
peterb

Kielder Water circuit surface?

Post by peterb »

Does anyone know ... what the surface of the cycle path around Kielder Water is like? I have 28mm tyres on my road bike.
Pebble

Re: Kielder Water circuit surface?

Post by Pebble »

4 or 5 years ago it was mostly like this, I had no bother with my 28mm tyres

I don't know what they call this type of surface (self binding gravel?) , it is like a very fine ballast compacted into a hardcore base, it is the next best thing to tarmac
Last edited by Pebble on 2 May 2021, 11:33am, edited 1 time in total.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Was still like that a couple of years ago, a few muddy patches but you should be ok.
Campag

Post by Campag »

I've done it on a vintage Moulton with 16" wheels, you should be fine on your bike. It has a few steep little climbs, a nice route.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Depends on recent weather. I rode round it about 16 months ago (Jan 2020). It was rideable on my tourer (700c x 30mm), though a bit of sliding in places. Mud was manageable, though the mudguards did get a bit full at times. Bumpy surface. Ridable, but I'd take the mountain bike next time.
The gritty surface combined with mud and wet didn't do much for brake blocks: it finished off the rears to the point of riding the last few km with the rear brake down to the block holder metal (so use the front only, and slower riding). Yes, I was going to replace the rims - last ride out on them before rebuild of wheels.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

We rode it last September and found the surface very good. Fortunately we had dry weather, so can't comment on the effect rain might have

As for what tyres, there were all types of bikes with all types of rider, but not many on road bikes, just a few. We found it very smooth considering it's not tarmac.

We rode round anticlockwise and there are a few short, steep bits. We even had to stop going down one bit as a guy on a mountain bike was zig zagging uphill with his head down. He did apologise.

If you wish to, you can take to the road on the south side on your return leg, which has a very good surface and is wide with gentle sweeping bends and non challenging gradients. Bikers love it as do roadies.

You will love it

Cheers