Books for young cyclists

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
carlislemike

Books for young cyclists

Post by carlislemike »

Am in need of Book recommendations for 8 & 9 year olds. The 8 y/o already has two Alastair Humphreys books but the 9 yo, a girl and feisty, needs something to match these. Any suggestions very welcome. Graphic books as well as full text or a blend of presentation welcome. Adventure is probably more their forte than simply novels. Thanks.
foxyrider

Re: Books for young cyclists

Post by foxyrider »

depending on the reading level of the eldest, she might enjoy the Gaby series https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaby-Anime-Day ... QYMI&psc=1 which follows the title character from @ 13 through countless adventures and 26 volumes! Much of the storyline is about cycling exploits but there's a lot more besides. As a bonus its written by a UK author so the language is familiar and easy to follow.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Thank you for that. Seems that, currently, they’re only available on Kindle.
Mr.Benton

Post by Mr.Benton »

What about Anne Mustoe's "Two Wheels in the Dust".
She tells of her cycle ride through India, and weaves in the anchient Hindu story of Ramayana which is a tale of the gods, love and adventure.

I think it is suitable for 9 year olds, but it has been a while since I read with one so can't be too sure. I don't remember the book having bad language or adult themes but I could be wrong.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

https://www.parktool.com/product/big-bl ... tion-bbb-4

Written in an admirably straightforward style that would be fine for children I think.

Mastering their own bike will give them a real sense of empowerment.

And they can then move on to fixing/maintaining yours.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom (With a Few Flat Tires Along the Way)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Mr.Benton wrote: 7 May 2021, 10:39am What about Anne Mustoe's "Two Wheels in the Dust".
She tells of her cycle ride through India, and weaves in the anchient Hindu story of Ramayana which is a tale of the gods, love and adventure.

I think it is suitable for 9 year olds, but it has been a while since I read with one so can't be too sure. I don't remember the book having bad language or adult themes but I could be wrong.
You certainly won't find bad language or adult themes in any of Anne Mustoe's books but you will find a lot of erudition that often goes over my head! :D
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

carlislemike wrote: 7 May 2021, 9:28am Thank you for that. Seems that, currently, they’re only available on Kindle.
They are all available on paper too via Amazon print or at Lulu.com
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’ve only ever tried one Anne Mustoe ( a bike ride) and found her extremely hard work. I think I gave up before the end she just couldn’t hold my interest. As a 9yo I doubt I’d have got far in it at all.
Josie Dew for me and just started re-reading Wind in my wheels while I was away for a few days.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Flying Fergus series worth a go?
pal

Post by pal »

This is a bit left-field (and also a novel, which I know you didn't ask for...) but for something a bit different: how about a 'victorian steam-punk fantasy focused on bicycle racing with an ample helping of feminist activism'? https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/259 ... pede-races It's categorised as 'young adult', so might not be quite right for a nine year-old - though obv you will be the best judge of that.

(I am neither a Young Adult, nor particularly a fan of victorian steam-punk fantasy, but I still quite enjoyed it!)
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

Right, overwhelmed by range of advice. Gaby-Anime, beyond my target audience, maybe when she’s 12-13! On my wish list. Anne Mustoe is definitely beyond the kids in question in terms of narrative and vocabulary. Park Tools etc: safer NOT to put tools in these kids’ hands before they reach the age of consent despite me thinking it would be brilliant. Wheels of Change: my 27 y/o daughter is going to read it soon; her birthday present. The Velocipede Races slated in for when my target audience is that little bit older but I’ll read it on Kindle as the concept seems appropriate. Finally come to the Chris Hoy: Fergus books. Yes, I’ll get a few for the niece. They suit her reading age: 7-9 and seem; from sampling on Kindle, the best way to engage her. Again vocabulary and length are key factors. So thank you one and all for those thoughts. Saved me passing on Nicole Cook’s autobiography which at least explains in detail the prejudices and unfair nature of youth and female cycling never mind the corruption she came across.
julian

Post by julian »

Josie Dew's books on cycletouring might be worth a look: quite enjoyable, comedic and certainly not high brow...dare I say a bit childlike?

I think she's done several pieces for Cycling UK mag over the years.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Paulatic wrote: 8 May 2021, 8:01am I’ve only ever tried one Anne Mustoe ( a bike ride) and found her extremely hard work. I think I gave up before the end she just couldn’t hold my interest. As a 9yo I doubt I’d have got far in it at all.
Josie Dew for me and just started re-reading Wind in my wheels while I was away for a few days.
I like Josie’s earlier books such as Wind in my Wheels and Travels in a Strange State, but I couldn’t get on with some of her later stuff, such as A ride in the Neon Sun. She became too verbose, using 10 words when one would have done.

Alastair Humphreys did a child’s version of his Round the World books - Moods of Future Joys and Thunder and Sunshine - I think it’s called The Boy who Biked the World. He’s also done another Kids book called Great Adventurers.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
carlislemike

Post by carlislemike »

The Alastair Humphreys: Boy Who Cycled the World, was lapped up by my 7yr old nephew. Shame no female author has transformed one of their works to have a young, girl adventurer.