Ascent activity tracker - replacement?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Ascent activity tracker - replacement?

Post by Mick F »

I've been using Ascent for over 15years, but Rob Bowyer the designer of it has now dropped the program and it's now obsolescent.
It still works, but as it's no longer supported, newer Mac software isn't very reliable with it.
I have hundreds and hundreds of tracks saved.

The layout is this. Loads of display options, but this is just a quick look at it.
Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 09.04.06.png
My question is, what can I replace it with?
Had a look at Rubitrack - didn't like it, far too complicated, costs £40ish
Had a look at GoldenCheetah - no maps, seems ok otherwise, free to use. Without the maps, it's useless IMHO.

Any others out there?
What do other people use?
Mick F. Cornwall
Ride-sleep-repeat

Re: Ascent activity tracker - replacement?

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

I use Strava but a Google found this:-
https://alternativeto.net/software/rubitrack/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks. :D
Very good info there.
I'll study in depth later today.

One option listed, BikeRouteToaster went years ago.
Strava is a web-based thing. I want a program on my computer and all my files on an external HD.

Ascent will remain with me for the near future, and if I can get our old iMac running again (not looked at the issue yet, but it's probably the power supply) I can run Ascent forever on it. This MacBookAir I'm on now is physically on its last legs and a new MacBook probably won't like Ascent ........ hence my question.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I think the main question is "what do you want from this software?".

Most software has enough options and tools that most people use it if different ways for different purposes and don't use some/many of the options. So, given that there is no exact replacement for Ascent, maybe think about what you want to use a new piece of software for. Maybe consider two pieces of software e.g. if you only use "year summary" once a year on 31 Dec then maybe that function could be handled by a different package from the every day use (if there is no single solution to your needs).

Also, worth asking yourself if there is anything you'd like Ascent to have done (or done better).

e.g. (Much as I dislike Garmin as a company) their Garmin Connect Phone/Web system does seem fairly slick despite being online. It does not record everything I want and is not my ideal solution so I use other records as well but also using Garmin takes no effort - it's automatic, press Start on the GPS on departure and press Stop of getting home and it's all done and recorded and loaded onto their web as well as onto my phone without me having done anything. There are loads of aspects of their system I don't use but the small feature set I do use do seem to work well (but I still hold an unjustified prejudice against the company for some unknown reason).

Ian
Ride-sleep-repeat

Post by Ride-sleep-repeat »

Psamathe wrote: 8 May 2021, 11:12am e.g. (Much as I dislike Garmin as a company) their Garmin Connect Phone/Web system does seem fairly slick despite being online. It does not record everything I want and is not my ideal solution so I use other records as well but also using Garmin takes no effort - it's automatic, press Start on the GPS on departure and press Stop of getting home and it's all done and recorded and loaded onto their web as well as onto my phone without me having done anything. There are loads of aspects of their system I don't use but the small feature set I do use do seem to work well (but I still hold an unjustified prejudice against the company for some unknown reason).
Ian
I use Garmin Connect via my Garmin watch to record all my Gym training.Treadmill.Rowing plus all the weight machines.What I used to have written in a notepad I now have in my watch.Weight,sets,reps etc.So easy.It has hundreds of free weight and machine weight exercises I just add or remove to create a custom programme.As a secondary backup I can automatically upload from Garmin to Strava,as I would a ride,so it's stored in two places plus on my phone.No way of losing data!
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

I think you should consider Strava (however I recall that you might not be a Strava fan!). Contrary to common perception, Strava is not just for racing/competitive cyclists. I am purely a recreational cyclist and only use the ‘free’ version which fits my needs. It records lots of data including interactive map with full zoom capability ( just like using Google) shows elevation and speed profiles and I enjoy the ‘segments’ so you can compare your performance over time. This can become quite addictive but if not for you it is easily ignored. The following link explains that all the Strava data files can be exported to pc/hard-drive but I have never used this feature and not sure if it is only available on the subscription service. https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/art ... _site=true
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All good info guys.

Strava is not my favourite idea at all.
It's web based and not on my computer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it needs a subscription, so if you don't pay, you lose all of your data
Correct or not?

I've considered keeping all the raw gpx and fit files off my devices onto an external HD, and just inputting them as and when required onto BikeHikeUK to look at them.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote: 8 May 2021, 7:29pm All good info guys.

Strava is not my favourite idea at all.
It's web based and not on my computer.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it needs a subscription, so if you don't pay, you lose all of your data
Correct or not?

I've considered keeping all the raw gpx and fit files off my devices onto an external HD, and just inputting them as and when required onto BikeHikeUK to look at them.
Why an external HD? You can make copies of gpx files and have one on your local disk, another in an online system, another somewhere else.

I don't know BikeHutUK but might be one aspect to consider is privacy. Many online systems like to try and turn their services into "social networks" so people keep visiting to look at their info, other people's info, compare stuff, etc. (more clicks the better). Some don't want everything shared so double check they provide adequate privacy option for yourself. I find Garmin do have enough "Only me" options for my needs so info about me or my rides is not shared with anybody else. I did once ask for support (ironically about their ascent calculations) and we had to go through quite a rigmarole to allow their support to access tracks in my account (procedure whereby I granted them permission and hey had a record of that permission, etc.).

Ian
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Strava free has enough data for all but serious racing snakes.
Just go to Strava.com and save the bookmark on your laptop.Then opens free account.
You can also use the App(also free) to track walks etc then it’s all on both the App and .com
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I switched to RubiTrack 4 then 5 - not quite the same as Ascent but good enough.

https://www.rubitrack.com/
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The Rubitrack I checked out, was RubitrackPro.
You get a free trial.
All seemed far too complicated a program for me.

Are the other Rubitracks less complicated?

I want a map (with the option of satellite view), an elevation profile, and a collection of columns of data. Not interested in performance graphs, heart-rates, or anything "sporty" orientated. I'm a leisure cyclist, not an aspiring athlete.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just checked the Rubitrack website.
All FAR too performance orientated.

Is there nothing out there for the touring leisure cyclist who isn't interested one jot about "performance" and comparisons and "training effort"?

Perhaps it's me who's out of step, but I'm willing to bet that I'm not the only one.
Mick F. Cornwall
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

You’re probably right, I certainly don’t use the ‘performance’ features of RubiTrack - much more about logging miles.

It does sync with Garmin Connect, which in turn syncs with Zwift - this has been helpful over lockdown.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The other option ........... and this has some merit .................

Is to save my GPX files "raw" on my external HD in some sort of calendar format/folders things, and upload them to Plotaroute or something when I want to view them.

Here's a ride in the Bedford area I took part in in 2019 shown on Plotaroute. I've registered with them, but without a subscription you can only save a few rides.
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 10.52.37.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

If you just want a track on a map (with a satellite view) Google Earth Pro (is free and available for Mac's). You can load gpx tracks, even do flashy animated 3D flight style videos if you want to get flashy (I don'y like them myself). But does the track over a satellite view.

Or GPXSee (http://www.gpxsee.org) which does track over a map with elevation and speed plots. Free download for Mac (Windows & Linux available but unsure if you have to build yourself). You can load multiple gpx tracks but does not have the "library" functions.

Both above available for Mac and both Free.

Ian