"Pacer" bikes - late 1890s - any historical information

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Des49

"Pacer" bikes - late 1890s - any historical information

Post by Des49 »

Hi,

I am posting this on behalf of a gentleman who would love to know more about his ancestor and the bikes he produced.

Below I have put what he knows about Thomas Millard and the relevant dates.

If anyone has any information, or can point to a source, I would be very grateful indeed.

Thank you.

"We are not quite sure when Thomas Millard started in business, but by the Late 1800's he was established in the Cycle Trade. In the National Journal of 1929 it mentions that he started his career in 1887 and six years later was building his own cycle, the Pacer. By the late 1890's he was running two shops, one in Frome and the other in Trowbridge, in the Cotswolds.

The attachments show my Grandmother. It is believed she was one of the first women to ride a Penny Farthing in the West Country. I also include the Pacer Cover and a page from inside. Also an advt. for the cycle."
Attachments
Pacer Advt 2.jpg
Pacer Racer.jpg
DSCN6417 - Copy (2).JPG
RodT

Re: "Pacer" bikes - late 1890s - any historical information

Post by RodT »

Fourteen Guineas for a ‘Pacer’? Bargain, and anything that ‘keeps the work in the district’ has got to be good. By the way, neither Frome nor Trowbridge are in the Cotswolds. Frome is probably closer to the Mendips, and Trowbridge is in one of flatter parts of Wiltshire.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Thanks for replying, at least this request has gathered one response! Even it is to point out a geographic inaccuracy. I did think the Cotswolds reference may be a touch out, but it is not really relevant. I'm personally not that familiar with English locations, though having cycled through Frome a few times on journeys from Portsmouth to Bath/Bristol and back thought it a little out from the Cotswolds.

Hopefully someone may respond with more info (not on where the Cotswolds are though!) or let me know where else to look/ask.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Well, this would seem like an obvious place to start:

https://www.millards.org/history

The Millard family business is still selling motorbikes in Guernsey ("the oldest motorcycle shop in the world"), is run by Thomas Millard's great-grandson, and seems to have amassed a fair amount of historical material. Has your friend talked to them?
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Thank you for posting.

Sorry, I may not have been clear in what was wanted. What is missing is information of the business in the UK, before the move to Guernsey in 1908. As your link details, a lot is known since the move, the gentleman I know probably wrote most of it.

Plus any information about Pacer bicycles themselves. Technical details, wonder if any bikes exist anywhere even?

Following those thoughts I did do a quick search and discovered that there is a National Cycle museum, probably will be worth contacting them.

Thanks.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Cyclechat has a vintage bikes section
https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/vintag ... -bikes.50/

you could try asking there too
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Thank you. Was not aware of that forum.