Length of car luggage space

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JJF

Length of car luggage space

Post by JJF »

I am thinking of getting a replacement car with sufficient luggage space to take a bike with front wheel removed. Some time ago there was a thread which gave a website listing capacities, including length. I think it was a site primarily for wheelchair users. Can anyone point me in the right direction please. I have searched without success. Thanks.
nosmarbaj

Re: Length of car luggage space

Post by nosmarbaj »

The very first result when I googled "car boot dimensions" was this.
For older models of car, Autotrader had useful information, if you know which car your're interested in, but I don't think it's as detailed as in the link above.
(Edit: tatanab got there first.)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks. Very useful.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Photo of mine from a thread some time back.
Mercian with front wheel off, and in the back of our Fiat500, so it can be done in a small car.
Mercian500-1.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

JJF wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:22am I am thinking of getting a replacement car with sufficient luggage space to take a bike with front wheel removed.
Any thoughts about size and type of car?

Being able to put intact bikes in the back was one of the reasons we bought Espaces.

And the Honda Jazz has a very clever rear seat system that allows some unusual solutions.

Jonathan
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Most recent motor is a VW Golf Estate with 1.1 TSI Engine
Have to say there's loads of room in the back, it has roof rails if you needed to go down the roof carrier route,
(I sometimes need to transport Trikes)
It feel like a much bigger car and is economical to boot.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I don't know if this was the earlier thread you had in mind but it may help

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135885
Richard of York

Post by Richard of York »

I can get my Spa Audax in our Skoda Fabia estate with all wheels in place if I put back seat down. With wheels off it fits in boot with seats up. Great little work horse.
scottg

Post by scottg »

Honda Jazz (Fit in the States), get it in Police Box blue for best effect. :)

http://www.blayleys.com/articles/cars/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best not to believe alleged dimensions, there have been very creative figures for cubic capacity of vehicle trunks :wink: Take your cycle and see if it really fits
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote: 10 May 2021, 2:07pm Best not to believe alleged dimensions, there have been very creative figures for cubic capacity of vehicle trunks Take your cycle and see if it really fits
It's obviously smart to check with the real objects.

But the published dimensions are very helpful in looking at possibilities and shortlisting.

One point that I don't think has been mentioned, and can be checked with published dimensions: the extraordinarily low capacity of many "SUVs" when compared to "people carriers" or "MPVs" or "estate cars"... or the Jazz. After France en Velo we needed to get two tourers and luggage back to the UK. So we hired a Kuga... deeply unimpressed.

Jonathan
JJF

Post by JJF »

Hello: Thanks for all the replies. Even quicker than I expected. I should be able to find something suitable from that lot.
JJF
peterb

Post by peterb »

If you want to get the bike in standing vertically a Berlingo (or Peugeot/Vauxhall clone) takes some beating. I carry my Orbea Gain upright (with it's front wheel off and 1 rear seat down) in a Peugeot 5008, bought because of it's ability to fit in an unfolded wheelchair. The boot sill height is another very important consideration.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote: 10 May 2021, 10:57am Photo of mine from a thread some time back.
Mercian with front wheel off, and in the back of our Fiat500, so it can be done in a small car.
Having no mudguards is cheating a bit.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.