Alternatives to Spa Aubisque?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
djnotts

Alternatives to Spa Aubisque?

Post by djnotts »

Breaking a firm rule never to buy new I seriously considered buying an Aubisque - swayed by discs and mudguards on a triple drive train.

However, just asked and delivery time 2 - 3 months. Quite possible that my cycling days will be over or at least severely constrained by then so little point!

Am I right in assuming no realistic alternatives, certainly not at Spa's price? I have been searching for 2ndhand similar for months!
TrevA

Re: Alternatives to Spa Aubisque?

Post by TrevA »

Are you on Facebook? If so, have a look on Marketplace, there’s a Ribble CGR with disc brakes currently for sale, located at Hougham near Grantham. Listed today. £700 but it says it’s hardly been used. Current owner is 5ft 10in.

Only a compact double, but you could fit a 40 cassette to get a lower gear.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

I do trawl FB, although not seen this one yet. Too big and too far, but thank you.
PH

Post by PH »

Spa's new steel disc tourer seems to be in stock, I haven't been through it line by line, but is there really that much difference? Maybe say what it is that you're looking for rather than just an Aubisque alternative, I'm maybe not the only one who doesn't know what that is. An Audax bike with discs? A tourer with steeper angles?
You seem to have just rejected a secondhand bike on the basis of the wrong gearing, I'd have thought you could have changed that and still had a lot of pennies left compared to a new bike.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Sorry if a bit of a vague post - simple annoyance showing!
Wants? Discs, bottom gear c.20", tyres min 32mm, mounting points for 'grds, light as possible, drops or flat bars, 26 or 700.
I guess my ideal simply doesn't exist - a 27 or 30 speed, carbon frame, 700x32, full mudguards!
The closest to ideal probably carbon gravel bike, but new beyond my means even if any available.
The Boardman to which you refer bigger than I really wanted and heavier or I could have lived with other compromises.
minusninine

Post by minusninine »

Surely you’re describing Spa’s Elan?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Yes, but assume same sort of lead time. Frames may be more readily available, but the cost and time of gathering parts prohibitive.
A rigid hybrid might be best solution, finding one the hassle, so few sellers offering postage.
There's a Voodoo Marasa on ebay that I could upgrade from parts box.
Or rebuild one of my mtbs on to a rigid 26"er frame set.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Or I could just try and fit a rear 'grd on this and resign myself to washing and drying it more often.
20210513_110525.jpg
Halla

Post by Halla »

Have you tried advertising in the wanted section.

There are thousands of unused bikes hanging around in sheds and garages.

I know of several looking for a good home.

I am sure there could be something near where you live that would suit your needs.

Just a thought.