Commuting Jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
spongebrainfatpants

Commuting Jacket

Post by spongebrainfatpants »

Hi
I'm hoping that some of you will be able to share recommendations for a commuting jacket. I'm looking for something that
  • Has front pockets for phone, wallet etc.
  • And a chest pocket (rear pocket is nice but not essential)
  • Has good ventilation (ideally 'pit zips)
  • Is waterproof (or at least very water resistant
  • Isn't Hi Vis but has reflectives
  • Is suitable for wearing in the pub as well as for getting there
I have been using for Altura jackets for ages but their build quality has become incredibly flimsy with zips breaking as soon as you look at them. I'm currently trying to get a refund on my latest one and won't be using them again.

Would really appreciate any views and insights.

Thanks
Cavemud

Re: Commuting Jacket

Post by Cavemud »

I have a showers pass jacket that covers most of your requirements apart from the front pockets. It has a chest pocket and rear pocket.

It was very expensive but build quality is great and really breathable.

Apparently the material used for the flouro yellow version isn't as breathable as other colours.
PH

Post by PH »

I also like Showers Pass, I have a six year old Elite which is probably not what you're looking for and a few month old Refuge which might be.
But there's loads of choice and much of it is excellent, and there's probably as much variation in opinions as in jackets. My own is that buying cheap or expensive can be great value in their own way, but there's a whole range in the middle that's often disappointing.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

I have a jacket that fits the bill, but it is an Altura. It's a few years old, the quality must have gone down hill recently, or you have just been unlucky.
Richard M
Cardiff
pal

Post by pal »

Madison (https://www.madison.cc/) do some nice (imo!) commuter-ish jackets, esp. good on the 'pockets' and 'wearable in the pub' criteria. The one I have (the 'Roam') is fairly thick, though, and doesn't have pit-zips, so is good for winter and/or fairly gentle riding, but might be a bit too warm otherwise.

(I also have a Showers Pass jacket, and would recommend those too!)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you drop the reflectives criterion you will have a much bigger range to go at. I'm not against reflectives as such - on the contrary - but some of the reflective piping on jackets is little use. What looks great if you shine a torch on it in your living room will be a lot less conspicuous to a driver out on the road. This is why hi-viz togs have such broad reflective stripes. Also, the angles of reflection involved mean that anything on your feet or ankles is considerably more conspicuous.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Would anyone suggest jackets that meet 4+ of the 6 bullets, plus a current non-scammer seller and price, please? My current roubaix jacket (windproof front, breathable back, mesh pockets that double as vents) has a failing zip, is faded and worn, and is no longer sold!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mjr wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:46am Would anyone suggest jackets that meet 4+ of the 6 bullets, plus a current non-scammer seller and price, please? My current roubaix jacket (windproof front, breathable back, mesh pockets that double as vents) has a failing zip, is faded and worn, and is no longer sold!
4 of the 6 will include just about any out door quality jacket, I have a trespass walking jacket that hits five of the points and I could hit 6 if I stuck some high viz on

Cost me 35 quid three years ago and looks good for another decade of use.

As for scammers, cycling specific gear seems to carry at least a 100% mark up as a gullible fool tax
mjr

Post by mjr »

jo' bo wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:34pm 4 of the 6 will include just about any out door quality jacket, I have a trespass walking jacket that hits five of the points and I could hit 6 if I stuck some high viz on

So why not tell us which one it is of the 132 listed on their site? :(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
jo' bo

Post by jo' bo »

mjr wrote: 12 May 2021, 1:09pm
jo' bo wrote: 12 May 2021, 12:34pm 4 of the 6 will include just about any out door quality jacket, I have a trespass walking jacket that hits five of the points and I could hit 6 if I stuck some high viz on

So why not tell us which one it is of the 132 listed on their site? :(
Doesnt work like that, get down to tkmax and see what they have on offer

Trespassing is really good quality outdoor clothing, pick one you like the look of that's fits you criteria.

I just buy bargain stuff and work round it
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

Endura make good kit, being Scottish they know all about stuff needing to be waterproof..

Something like this seems to fit most if not all of your criteria, I think?

https://www.endurasport.com/hummvee-wat ... 22724.html

I'm not a big fan of black clothes when cycling but it does have reflectives. Endura themsleves are out of stock in most sizes but you should find it elsewhere. You may need to go up a size, I find their stuff a little small-sized.
slowster

Post by slowster »

The Showers Pass Refuge jacket PH suggested is probably the jacket that ticks more of the OP's boxes than any other. And so it should given that its RRP is three times the price of the Endura jacket mentioned above (although Showers Pass offer a 10% discount to new customers, and a larger discount when they have a sale at other times of the year, e.g. Black Friday). Since the OP has not suggested a budget or price limit, I would say get the Refuge jacket.
PacoJones

Post by PacoJones »

I'd agree, the Showers Pass jacket is almost undoubtedly better than the Endura one at a third of the price, but as the OP currently has an Altura jacket, the Endura one would seem to be much closer to his price point (no offence intended OP!). As it's for commuting and going to the pub, it seemed like a good, reasonably priced option.
xjs

Post by xjs »

I used to commute in a Decathlon raincoat a bit like this: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-wat ... 097&c=BLUE

Front pockets were lower than this one though.

Might work in one of the brighter colours?
spongebrainfatpants

Post by spongebrainfatpants »

Hi
thanks everyone for the really helpful advice. After much dithering I bought myself a Transit jacket from Showers Pass. Very impressed with how well put together it is compared to the flimsy quality of the one it is replacing