Recumbent and Upright Combination Tandem

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
VinceLedge

Recumbent and Upright Combination Tandem

Post by VinceLedge »

Saw a couple yesterday on an interesting tandem with a recumbent at the front and upright bike at the rear, never seen one like it, anyone know what it is?
Tigerbiten

Re: Recumbent and Upright Combination Tandem

Post by Tigerbiten »

It's probably a Hase Pino -> https://hasebikes.com/95-1-Tandem-PINO-ALLROUND.html
Or something very similar from a different manufacture.

Luck .......... :D
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

There are quite a lot of manufacturers, eg Hase. Have a search for "semi-recumbent tandems".

They're sometimes used by front riders who can't ride on their own eg because of visual impairment.

I've often wondered if the shape reduces the aerodynamic drag.

Jonathan

Edited: Crossed post. SNAP!
Richard D

Post by Richard D »

Without having seen it myself, it’s hard to be sure - but the Hase Pino seems the most likely candidate.

We're currently saving up for the electric-assist model.

Main advantages appear to us to be the fact that rider and stoker have their heads close enough to be able to chat, and both have a good view of the road ahead. I don't want to subject my wife to a view of my back for hours on end.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I've seen a few and have wondered about weight distribution. The front rider sitting over the wheel looks a bit odd.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

I had a Pino, in fact the one reviewed in Velovision, Ti model.
They do the job of allowing the front rider a chance to stop pedalling and rest, allowing the rear rider to grovel up hump beached bridges etc.
I found the Ti model “dived” on corners, I think the Ti or main tube wasn’t stiff enough, the Alloy ones should be more stiff, so not so bendy.
The rear rider has to cope with a very shallow seat angle, so if you are a rider that sits over the bracket, you are going to find the position ivery different, requires a different style of pedalling.
On the whole good, I could do with one now as my brother finds it difficult to throw leg over bike.
Always known as “The butchers bike with a boom”
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Intriguing machines! The rear rider does look very upright.
KM2

Post by KM2 »

The front person must have complete faith in the rear person, they are there like “sacrificial lamb” on the front without any control.
Got more “squeals per km” out of my daughter than any other time.
They will all want a go.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

There's also the Circe Morpheus https://www.circecycles.com/products/morpheus/
We're giving one a test run over the bank holiday weekend
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

So this has been our steed for the past weekend
20210531_0042.jpg
, hired from the manufacturers Circe.
Impressions- its big, heavy, not as fast as a conventional tandem, but it is great fun and Mrs T prefers being able to see what's happening rather than just staring out to the side. As a pilot you get rough road experience that the stoker usually gets, the upright cycling position takes some getting used to- I definitely had tired legs after the first few outings, and had to change my dismounting style to avoid smacking my knees on the horizontal bars of the steerer. Steering takes some getting used to as well, especially on cycle paths because you have to remember the stokers feet are going to be swinging out beyond the front wheel, and you are a long way back at blind junctions if you don't have a stoker. I actually liked the ability of the stoker to freewheel- it meant that approaching junctions or in traffic I could be in complete control if I wanted to be.
On the whole we almost certainly will go for this style. Given the expense we just want to try out a pino as well (hint hint- just in case anyone near Cambridge has one we can try)- the Circe is over 1K cheaper but neither are even close to being cheap so we might as well get what feels best to us.
hemo

Post by hemo »

One passed mu house on BH Monday just past , front rider was pretty much well laid back and reclined.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Richard D wrote: 11 May 2021, 9:06pm Without having seen it myself, it’s hard to be sure - but the Hase Pino seems the most likely candidate.

We're currently saving up for the electric-assist model.

Main advantages appear to us to be the fact that rider and stoker have their heads close enough to be able to chat, and both have a good view of the road ahead. I don't want to subject my wife to a view of my back for hours on end.
In the UK my bet would be Circe Morpheus personally. Base Pino I've only seen in the tandem shop in Gargrave not too far from us but I've seen the Morpheus in the wild once. Did want one once.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Two 20" wheels? Try the Pino. Might be more comfortable with 26" rear wheel.
Lodge

Post by Lodge »

my wife and I have a Hase Pino. it’s our second, this time with the Shimano E8000 motor. We sold the first a few years back but really missed being able to chat as we cycled together. We haven’t yet been touring on this one due to a certain pandemic, but took the previous one on a couple of week long tours in Brittany and Croatia. Plus plenty of days out when we lived in France.

They are great fun. And great conversation starters.

And yes, the captain is pretty upright. Almost Dutch style position. Great for gentle touring.
pedals2slowly

Post by pedals2slowly »

I used to have one to enable my late wife to continue riding whilst only pedalling occasionally.
We tested the Circe Morpheus and Hase Pino at Gargrave.
We tried the Circe first and I just thought no way can I ride a thing like this, far too flexible and unwieldy, in comparison the Hase Pino whilst very different to a conventional tandem or solo is acceptable and after getting used to it happy to fly around corners and downhill.
We fitted a rear wheel electric motor eventually as front power decreased and only stopped when I was eventually unable to physically get her on and off the front seat (The front stand is only just about strong enough for a 80 kilo rider)
Great fun, a wonderful talking piece and when ridden solo you have a great seat for sitting at the roadside watching the Tour de France go by!
Attachments
32966561_10213540059710810_5399070604592676864_n.jpg