Is the number plate visible or legal ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Keepsim

Is the number plate visible or legal ?

Post by Keepsim »

Hi

I am new to the forum and cycling (taking on car).

I have bought a bike carrier from halford and as I understand the number plate should be visible otherwise i could be stopped by the police.

The question is simply in my attached picture, is the number plate compliant with law or rule or not?

In my view, it is not 100% compliant but i have seen others with worst visibility.

I dont want to put extra number plate if i dont have too but if thats what is absolutely required on motoway journeys then

Thanks
Attachments
B7D9D979-1AAD-4914-87D9-BEE1B216D058.jpeg
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Is the number plate visible or legal ?

Post by Mick F »

You've summed it up quite well.

Not legal, but lots of others break the law too.
Who's going to notice?

Talking of number plates, some cars have personalised plates and have been altered on the spacing to spell a name etc. That's illegal too.
Many years ago, after leaving the RN, I had a local job three days a week driving a delivery van for a motor-spares company mainly dealing in body parts and stuff. We made number plates too and I was a dab hand at it, so I'm well aware of the spacing and the layout.

As for visibility, the plate has to be in full clear view front and rear.
If it's not, who's going to report you? We hardly see a copper here-abouts these days.

Here's a photo of our Renault Clio from years ago.
(the plazzy bag over the left rear light blew onto the rear light just before I took the photo and was removed)
Bike Rack2.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Syd

Post by Syd »

You may also fall foul of the lights being visible.

Little chance of being pulled up but it may come up if you are in a collision.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think you have answered your own question in that you have blotched out the legible bit of the plate but no need to do so where it's hidden by the straps etc.

I think this is the relevant bit of the regs:
(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6). (My emphasis.)
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/200 ... ion/5/made

Whether you will be subject to enforcement is anybody's guess
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.
Keepsim wrote: 16 May 2021, 5:31pmThe question is simply in my attached picture, is the number plate compliant with law or rule or not?
No, as above.

But I'd also be worried about my lights being obscured from some angles, as above. That's about safety as well as compliance.

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Obviously (?) it is not legal, the registration mark may not be clearly visible from certain angles. The cycle/s also protrude on the off side, outwith the width of the vehicle, and restrict effectiveness of rear-view mirrors

There might be little enforcement but if there is a check, especially if you have an 'accident' (bikes falling off?) you could be in serious trouble

I should certainly not risk driving with this set-up

What is the rated load for the carrier? How much do the two cycles weigh?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

The number plate and lights are obscured which is both dangerous and illegal. A light board is what you need but you'll to wire up a socket for it. This sort of thing https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maypole-MP253P ... 5551&psc=1
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Retired Police Sergeant here.
Sorry, Not Legal. :(
Could invalidate insurance or reduce claim if some clown runs into the back of you and claims they didn't see obscured brake lights. :?
Keepsim

Post by Keepsim »

Thank you all.
Decided i won’t drive around like this and look at buying number plate with the light indicator thing.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Light boards are relatively cheap. It's the electrics that can be a problem especially with newer cars. Extra care must be taken in wiring them up.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Keepsim

Post by Keepsim »

I would be thankful if someone can guide me in steps, i will need number plate to out on light board ~ the wiring bit is not clear, does the light connects to tow bar or trailer light ? Car is Mitsubishi outlander D, are these manufacturers specific?

i went to these racks as they cheaper compared to rooftop but giving second thought if rooftop is less messy ?

Thanks
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The cycles appear to increase the overall width of the outfit to more than the overall width of the vehicle, could our ex-police officers advise whether that is legal?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This is a recent thread about bike carriers, including roof-mounted

viewtopic.php?p=1603049#p1603049
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Keepsim wrote: 16 May 2021, 7:03pm I would be thankful if someone can guide me in steps, i will need number plate to out on light board ~ the wiring bit is not clear, does the light connects to tow bar or trailer light ? Car is Mitsubishi outlander D, are these manufacturers specific?
1 Do you want a towbar fitted if you're doing this?

2 The connections at your car end are specific to the model. They'll end up terminated in a socket. There are two current (!) standards there AIUI. The type of plug on the new board needs to match that type of socket. But that plug and socket are not specific to the car manufacturer or model.

3 Installing the wiring in the car to that socket isn't particularly difficult. But if you're not used to doing this sort of stuff and don't have access to the right crimping tool I strongly recommend NOT doing it yourself. Get quotes from a local car electrician, some towbar fitters, and see if Halfords do this. You don't have to go a Mitsubishi dealer but you could.

4 Then you'll need a new rear numberplate for the board.

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Best option if you're doing electrics anyway is a towbar and towbar mounted rack. More money but secure option. I've used rear mount and I have found even the best strap based ones work loose in motion. Roof top ones are more secure but buy cheap and the bikes can move about on them too. Plus you have the effects of the rack with noise.