Chain Oil On Jacket

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Re: How to Remove Oil from Gore Dayglo Yellow Jacket

Post by Jamesh »

Washing up liquid works to a degree...

What about wd40.

Not sure I would try it on a gore jacket, but on a Lidl jacket I might try it and then put washing up liquid over top before putting into the wash.

Cheers James
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

maybe Citrus degreaser ofen used for cleaning chains? is organic and washes away
oilman4345

Post by oilman4345 »

Thanks to all for their comments and suggestions.
The linked post in this sequence suggested white spirit being applied locally followed by washing.
This has worked very well !!
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

If you've already attacked it with something and made a right mess of it then you are probably stuffed, so you might as well try this anyway.

Put some swarfega on the dirt/oil/grime and leave it overnight. Next morning more swarfega and rub with a damp cloth. It has worked for me more often than it hasn't.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

What about Screwfix degreaser? Mick F swears by it!!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I've found soap flakes surprisingly good - made into a paste and rubbed into the worst bits.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
David9694

Post by David9694 »

Rock ‘n’Roll Miracle Red. https://www.sevendaycyclist.com/

Not sure if it also kills the u no what.
Spa Audax Ti Ultegra; Genesis Equilibrium 853; Raleigh Record Ace 1983; “Raleigh Competition”, “Raleigh Gran Sport 1982”; “Allegro Special”, Bob Jackson tourer, Ridley alu step-through with Swytch front wheel; gravel bike from an MB Dronfield 531 frame.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Aspen 7 mower petrol is a very clean petrol. It's as good as you'll get for impossible stains. Used also by campstove fanatics, for Svea stoves. My daughter had crayoned carpet attacked by her 2y old perfect angel. Tried everything. No good. Completely cleaned by me with Aspen 7. Nary a trace.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Gearoidmuar wrote:Aspen 7 mower petrol is a very clean petrol. It's as good as you'll get for impossible stains. Used also by campstove fanatics, for Svea stoves. My daughter had crayoned carpet attacked by her 2y old perfect angel. Tried everything. No good. Completely cleaned by me with Aspen 7. Nary a trace.

Bet it made the room smell lovely and fresh too!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

We left the window open!
scooby1885

Chain Oil On Jacket

Post by scooby1885 »

Hello folks, i am looking for some tips on cleaning a cycling jacket, i have some bike chain oil on it, as seen in the picture, it doesn't look too bad in the picture but in person it looks worse. I tried the NikWax Tech Wash which did nothing to those stains in particular but still managed to clean the rest of the jacket. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks alot. :D
dirty jacket
dirty jacket
Mike_Ayling

Re: Chain Oil On Jacket

Post by Mike_Ayling »

scooby1885 wrote: 20 May 2021, 12:41pm Hello folks, i am looking for some tips on cleaning a cycling jacket, i have some bike chain oil on it, as seen in the picture, it doesn't look too bad in the picture but in person it looks worse. I tried the NikWax Tech Wash which did nothing to those stains in particular but still managed to clean the rest of the jacket. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks alot. :D

cycling jacket.JPG
IHave you read the suggestions in this thread?
scooby1885

Post by scooby1885 »

The moderator moved my post to this thread before i saw this thread, so now i don't need an answer to my question as it has been answered several times over. Still not sure what option to go for but at least i have a few good ideas now. The suggestions given have been great.
Thanks alot. :D
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Naphtha aka brake cleaner in a can