Heavy Rider

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pub

Heavy Rider

Post by Pub »

Hi all.
I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s achievable for someone who weighs 23 stone to get a bike - MTB, Urban, Tourer, etc, to poodle around town?

I know bikes have weight limits, but it seems that in America bikes for heavy riders is common place and easily sort. However, I’m struggling to find anything here.

I don’t care if a bike has to be specially built so have a large budget. But I have no idea who could do such a thing.

Any advice appreciated.
Jdsk

Re: Heavy Rider

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

Previous discussions:
viewtopic.php?t=139655&start=15
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=141065

Jonathan
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Any half-decent bike should be OK, but be prepared for the wheels - especially the spokes in the rear wheel - to need attention. This is largely because manufacturers tend to economise on spokes.

We've had several heavy riders on here: the late vernon never let his weight bother him, and pizza_man (?) did an End-to-End with a bodyweight that would make you feel skinny.

Get a bike with really low gears if you want to be in with a chance of riding up hills.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Hi & welcome to the forum.

This topic has come up a few times before. Here are a few other threads.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=135695
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112265

This thread is not primarily about what bike, but does include some bike recommendations, and also has some links to other threads viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129138
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
gcogger

Post by gcogger »

I was researching weight limits recently, and the highest limits I found for off the shelf 'normal' bikes were from Cannondale, Marin and GT. Their gravel/touring bikes are rated at 300lb rider + 30lb (or more) luggage. These tend to come with 28 spoke wheels, so I imagine it would be higher if swapped out for 36 spoke wheels.

Doesn't quite reach the 23 stone mark, I'm afraid, but close.
Chris56

Post by Chris56 »

Avoid rear wheels with freewheels as these put extra stress on the rear axle, but a 36 spoke wheel with freehub should be fine.
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

Steel frames and forks are a good option. They are typically stronger but more importantly they normally give some sort of indication before failure where as carbon fibre and aluminium can fail instantly without warning. If nothing else makes more sense to go for steel forks as forks failing is incredibly dangerous. 26" wheels are the strongest of the larger wheel sizes, ideally with a double wall rim and 36 spokes. 23 stone is 145kg approx and many bikes have a maximum load rating of 160kg including the bike weight so you should be ok, most bikes are under 15kg. You can also walk up steeper hills to reduce the fatigue on the frame and bottom bracket area. Mountain bikes are designed to take abuse as well as deal with heavier riders.

My personal recommendation would be the Carrera Subway at Halfords. It's a 27.5" wheeled mountain bike with rigid steel forks. Should be fine for your weight on the road.

Obviously avoid bikes optimised for performance and low weight. They sacrifice strength for that performance.

No need to spend more than the Carrera Subway really. When you have lost the weight perhaps get something better but the bike industry is setup to charge you more for less so to speak as bikes get more expensive they get lighter and weaker with performance optimised gearing. Heavy riders benefit from thicker chains, steel cassettes etc, they last longer and are less likely to break.
slowster

Post by slowster »

Given how often there are threads started by new members asking this question, it would be good if there were a thread in Too Good to Lose containing links to the most informative past threads on this subject (and probably also to any particularly inspiring threads, such as Pizza Man's). Obviously those threads could be found by new members using the search facility, but I doubt a single search would throw up all the best threads, and a new member or anyone just searching this forum would potentially be faced with having to read and sift through many threads, and having to try to determine for themselves which posts contained the best information. It would be better for the forum to select the best threads and provide links to them in one place.

That could also be a starting point for collating the best advice from various threads into a single document/post. Given how often these threads occur, it seems that there is no easily findable guidance for people who are significantly overweight and wish to start cycling. Publishing such guidance is something which should fit with CUK's aim of making cycling more accessible to people who face significant barriers to riding a bike, such as being disabled or belonging to some minority group. I suspect it's also guidance which the NHS would like to have in a form which was suitable for GPs and consultants to give to their patients.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've not followed all the links above, but I doubt if the manufacturers' max weights are anything more than backside covering to avoid claims. Two on a bike is generally an offence, but bikes do seem to cope, whether the passenger is carried on the top tube or the saddle and in some countries it seems normal to carry somebody side-saddle on the pannier rack.
CliveyT

Post by CliveyT »

Wheels really shouldn't be an issue. Thorn are happy with just 32 spokes (on 26" wheels as I recall) for their tandems and they will be rated for over 200kg load. Admittedly they will be hand-built but a decent 36 spoke should be more than up to the job.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Does anyone on here remember Pizza Man?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=16258
27stone and rode LEJOG.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonzo Banana

Post by Bonzo Banana »

thirdcrank wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 2:10pm I've not followed all the links above, but I doubt if the manufacturers' max weights are anything more than backside covering to avoid claims. Two on a bike is generally an offence, but bikes do seem to cope, whether the passenger is carried on the top tube or the saddle and in some countries it seems normal to carry somebody side-saddle on the pannier rack.
I think bikes mostly will cope at first but you prematurely shorten the life of the frame by increasing the level of fatigue. The frames are designed to last about 7-10 years of use within their weight limits but excessive loads could cause instant failure but much more likely to reduce that lifespan perhaps to only a couple of years. Some brands have had a huge number of recalls for failing frames like Decathlon. Some brands do go the other route and have more overbuilt frames. Manufacturers and importers have to clearly state the weight limits on bikes so the buyer can make an informed choice but obviously some people choose a higher level of risk. It's not just about weight though, a very strong rider can prematurely fatigue the bottom bracket area and those who ride mountain bikes can be very light but do many aggressive jumps and landings and do damage. The weight of the rider isn't the only factor in how a frame or forks can fail in use. Also some people use thick tyres for comfort but that can also protect the frame from fatigue, what feels good for the rider can also mean less shock and fatigue for the frame as can riding on smooth roads compared to roads full of potholes. Ultimately its better to be safe and very heavy riders should be careful especially as a heavy rider is much more vulnerable to injury if the bike fails and they hit the ground at high speed.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Here's one I prepared earlier.
img002.jpg
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

Pub wrote: 3 Jun 2021, 10:09am Hi all.
I was wondering if anyone knows if it’s achievable for someone who weighs 23 stone to get a bike - MTB, Urban, Tourer, etc, to poodle around town?

I know bikes have weight limits, but it seems that in America bikes for heavy riders is common place and easily sort. However, I’m struggling to find anything here.

I don’t care if a bike has to be specially built so have a large budget. But I have no idea who could do such a thing.

Any advice appreciated.
Get a list of bikes you like, get strong wheels and make an achievable incremental plan and work towards it
ClappedOut

Re: Bike Recommendation for Heavy Rider

Post by ClappedOut »

Flat bars and bar ends on the tandem when going for it as as lower without causing problems