Recommendations for front and rear cameras

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pebble

Re: Recommendations for front and rear cameras

Post by Pebble »

SJ4000, they cost about £50 (be careful of cheap imitations) have been using it now for 3 to 4 years, super reliable, have mine tethered to an external battery, 10,000mA battery gives 20+ hours (so only need remember to charge it every 10 days or so)

In fact I have been so impressed with this camera I now have one in the car and the van.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

I use my GoPro at the front and a cheapish one from Amazon at the rear (it records full HD and is quite good).
Steve
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Which do you reckon is more important? Front or rear?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 10:44am Which do you reckon is more important? Front or rear?
I think you really need both, but if pushed I would say the rear. You are more likely to record a close pass or collision on the rear camera. The front one is useful for close overtakes coming towards you and catching abuse from passing cars.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Debs

Post by Debs »

How do these cameras attach to the bike? ...photos would be good, please? :wink:

Would be interesting to know what the pros use, Giro footage below:

TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Fly 6 uses a seat post fitting similar to a Garmin mount. The Fly 12 uses a bracket that fits on the handlebars, similar to a Go Pro mount. Mine are the old versions, not the current ones, so not much pint in posting a photo.
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

Debs wrote: 13 Jun 2021, 4:47pm How do these cameras attach to the bike? ...photos would be good, please? :wink:
I use these mounts. A swivel type mount for my GoPro at the front (from Amazon) and a GoPro mount for the rear camera.
A bit dirty after this mornings ride :lol:
Attachments
20210614_110351.jpg
20210614_110339.jpg
20210614_110253.jpg
20210614_110239.jpg
Steve
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

I rely on front only at present and local police seem fine with that. I'd say it was preferable if they're happy to follow up close passes on it as it'll also let you capture people pulling out in front of you at junctions and ASL/red light infringements
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Debs

Post by Debs »

What i'd like is an auto-piloted drone camera filming my ride from above.

It could also carry my puncture outfit and rain jacket,
and come down to pass me a bottle when i get thirsty :D
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Debs wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 4:00pm What i'd like is an auto-piloted drone camera filming my ride from above.

This is the future Debs
I am here. Where are you?
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I have had front and rear cameras on my bike for many years now and tried to make them as discreet as I could, but recently I decided to try an experiment of making the camera more visible by creating a large vinyl sticker based on the speed camera warning signs and sticking it in front of my camera.
I didn't know what the result would be, suspecting it likely to cause more problems with passing motorists taking offence and wanting to demonstrate their anger but actually the result is proving to be very positive so far.
In fact many passing cars are holding back and giving me plenty of space to the extent it starts to feel weird!

I would recommend when fitting cameras to give this a try.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

alanesq wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 11:50am I have had front and rear cameras on my bike for many years now and tried to make them as discreet as I could, but recently I decided to try an experiment of making the camera more visible by creating a large vinyl sticker based on the speed camera warning signs and sticking it in front of my camera.
I didn't know what the result would be, suspecting it likely to cause more problems with passing motorists taking offence and wanting to demonstrate their anger but actually the result is proving to be very positive so far.
In fact many passing cars are holding back and giving me plenty of space to the extent it starts to feel weird!

I would recommend when fitting cameras to give this a try.
That could be done as a *randomised controlled trial.

Please could you add a photo.

Thanks

Jonathan

* As can passing distance...
alanesq

Post by alanesq »

I can't claim the idea was mine, if you Google "PassPixi" you should find some examples

It would be interesting to get someone to either attach the sticker on not and so the cyclist doesn't know if it is in display or not and see what their experience is.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

alanesq wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 12:43pmIt would be interesting to get someone to either attach the sticker on not and so the cyclist doesn't know if it is in display or not and see what their experience is.
Exactly.

Jonathan
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Debs wrote: 14 Jun 2021, 4:00pm What i'd like is an auto-piloted drone camera filming my ride from above.

This is actually possible as drones have a “follow me” function, but the problem is battery life as most small, electric drones only have enough power to fly for 20 minutes.