best lock - oxford alarmed vs kryptonite

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Ehi

best lock - oxford alarmed vs kryptonite

Post by Ehi »

hi guys
I bought 2 bikes for myself and daughter and bought an oxford D duo lock and want to get a 2nd lock.

After doing some research, I am looking at the oxford alarmed d duo lock, but reviews says the kryptonite new york (forget about it) is the best lock

Kindly advise, thank you

E
Colin63

Re: best lock - oxford alarmed vs kryptonite

Post by Colin63 »

We'v ebeen talking on another thread about locks and I still haven't found a lock I'm more confident about than this
Abus Granit-X:
https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security ... -XPlus-540
Govnor

Post by Govnor »

On the continent there are insurance locks, Abus a good brand and there are video's on the locks being picked and broken on YouTube.

Key point is to lock it securely and in a public place.

Have a look a good lock is a good deterrent.
Some of the kryptonite locks are reasonable as well.
Ianwhitwell

Post by Ianwhitwell »

https://thebestbikelock.com/best-bike-l ... ike-locks/

I found the above web site very useful in choosing a gold secure lock to meet the requirements of my insurance.
Specifically in balancing up the demands of size, weight, cost and security.

Best wishes in your search.

For info
I have an Onguard pitbull LS for the wife's bike and an Abus Granite X plus, both of which were the product of lots of research and obviously compromises. I watch several videos on youtube of the LockPickingLawyer and after that you wonder if its all worth it in any case. :D
Percy

Post by Percy »

Ehi wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 4:36pm hi guys
I bought 2 bikes for myself and daughter and bought an oxford D duo lock and want to get a 2nd lock.

After doing some research, I am looking at the oxford alarmed d duo lock, but reviews says the kryptonite new york (forget about it) is the best lock

Kindly advise, thank you
E
Personally I use a Kryptonite 'U' lock. I ride a fat bike, and my lock fits perfectly around the wheel and seat stay. Unless a thief has a battery grinder, it's going to be near impossible to remove the lock and, therefore, impossible to ride it away. I use a cable attached to the 'U' lock and wrap it around a post, but I've found that even heavy duty cables can be cut with cable cutters. I used my regular electrician's side cutters to cut through a heavy cable after the lock became hopelessly jammed. It just took twenty or thirty bites to get through all the wires of the cable.

The front wheel needs to be secured to the fork or frame, too. However you secure the bike, people will still steal the saddle or whatever else they can get. A man in Japan stole 5,800 bike saddles.

https://road.cc/content/news/271643-man ... ke-saddles

I might stop at a coffee shop or fast food place, so I secure the bike to a post, then go inside and sit where I can see the bike. If it's not secured to a post, a guy in a pickup truck could just throw the bike in the back, then deal with the locks, later.
If I knew how to ride a bike, safely, I'd do it every time.